Take Off in the Bf 109K-4

iFoxRomeo

You can go full throttle without any problems - but as already mentioned make sure that MW50 is activated.

I do this as part of my startup routine. MW50 will only bei used if you go full power to 1.8ata.

Should "E" by default.

Otherwise watch your speed so that you don´t get to slow during maneuvering and if you are flying with manual prop pitch watch your RPMs.

Edited by golani79

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys, now I know the reason, why I was breaking the engine (is that even correct "breaking the engine"? - anyway), I wasn't using the Governor Automation Switch. It was in manual position..

Thanks

Glad you sorted that out. I and at least another poster mentioned that as one of the possible reasons :-)

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Yeah, but you know what was wrong exactly? initially I was trying to use the auto prop pitch, as you guys said before, however the position of the switch was in UP position, instead of down, since there are no marks/label saying which position is what (AFAIK).

Then I set the 109 to start from air, and I decided to see how the switches look like, later on I saw the switch was in DOWN position, then I realised I was flipping the switch to a wrong position.

That was fun actually.. haha :D

And by the way, days ago I noticed the 109 has a tail lock, I didn't know that! I was trying to take off without the tail lock, so that's why it was so difficult to take off, after using it, oh man, it's sooooo easy! I am enjoying a lot more the 109 now! (even when I was having those issues I was enjoying a lot because of its awesome performance)

Thanks you guys!

Easy way to check if prop pitch is in auto on the ground is to rev the engine a little, if you don't see the prop pitch indicator moving, the dial that has hands like a clock, then its off. I often have difficulty trying to see that switch position as the 109 pit can be like a coal hole.

No tail lock, no wonder you were having trouble :o)

• Like 1

I personally found that takeoff in the 109 is easiest with 20 degrees of flap, manual pitch at 12 o clock, full nose down trim, tailwheel locked, and by slowly increasing throttle to maintain 2400-2500 rpm and tapdancing on the rudder to keep it straight.

Done right you'll have the cruise power setting set just after takeoff ( 1.25 ata / 2400rpm ).

Just keep the nose from shooting up and you should be fine.

I personally found that takeoff in the 109 is easiest with 20 degrees of flap, manual pitch at 12 o clock, full nose down trim, tailwheel locked, and by slowly increasing throttle to maintain 2400-2500 rpm and tapdancing on the rudder to keep it straight.

Done right you'll have the cruise power setting set just after takeoff ( 1.25 ata / 2400rpm ).

Just keep the nose from shooting up and you should be fine.

Highly not recommended you try to takeoff as noted above or you're in for stall practice at 100ft off the runway. Taking off with flaps is a handicap, it allows you to gain lift sooner (read: at stall speed) which not recommended or suggested in any case other than a super-short-run takeoff for emergency purposes.

lol. Not really but whatever you say....

2 stripes of flaps let the aircraft come up on the mainwheels a bit sooner. Other than that not much difference.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

The only thing I recommend is to train your legs to counter eachother..

Sent from my SM-T231 using Tapatalk

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• 3 weeks later...
Highly not recommended you try to takeoff as noted above or you're in for stall practice at 100ft off the runway. Taking off with flaps is a handicap, it allows you to gain lift sooner (read: at stall speed) which not recommended or suggested in any case other than a super-short-run takeoff for emergency purposes.

absolutely wrong what you are saying here....the flaps make the plane more nose heavy and stable for take off...thats also the reason why its recommended by rl 109 pilots...

Edited by 9./JG27 DavidRed

• 1 month later...
If she can takeoff and land everyone can do it :))

AHhh.. so it's because I have fair hair (well grey) that I'm crap at T/O in these tail draggers then? it's good to know that It's not something I'm doing wrong - just genetics. :music_whistling:

• 1 month later...

Taming the beast..

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

I just flew the 109 yesterday after months of not doing so. It got a lot easier !?

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

What do you mean, how did it get easier? Take offs? Landings? ACM?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Take offs seem to be easier than like 4-6 months ago.

I only need very small left/right toebrake input now to keep it tracking failry well, even with 100% fuel + SC500, which is a ~450kg over max TOW.

Yes, rudder aid = OFF

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

It got easier because you got better. Thats the way it works :)

I used to think the Spit's landings were impossibly difficult. Im nailing them now, and find her to be one of the easiest planes to bring down safely.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I didnt get better LoL...maybe more concentrated these days.

I was astouned I managed it on 1st try after months and I knew how hard I struggled 1st time it got out..LoL maybe 1 in 5 worked, now its 1 in many that goes wrong.

Those taildraggers are more demanding by nature, the missing nose gear & the torque !

Look at my Avatar, that's a P-47D-23, that beast was hard to keep tzracking straight cuz of the abnormal torque the 4-Stroke supercharged engine had, plus I need FULL elevator UP until fast enough, then release and pull again GENTLY to lift off. That bird gave me grey hair on the first few flights. Apart from that, one of the best planes I ever built from Balsa ;)

Compared to R/C, those RL birds are real tamed and soft, the R/C planes widdle around in circles sooner than you think, that is a lot harder to master than any WWII bird in DCS, at least I feel like this. The mass is the difference.

I still can't perform wheel landings in DCS, any of the ww2 aircraft....

I know how it feels! My first taildragger was the FW-190D, and it took me forever to take off, and an eternity to land without breaking my neck. I can do it safely now provided I'm fully concentrated. I think I have developed some reflexes that really help, because there is not enough time to think-decide-act. Today I find the Bf-109K easier both in take-off and landing. It seems more stable (or smooth?) at low speed and therefore doesn't need as much corrective input. With the FW-190 it always feels like it's making its own crosswind; so I use the ailerons to keep the direction and the rudder to stay aligned with the runway.

My CH Pro Pedals have a distinct center bump, and that doesn't help when you need to make small control inputs around the center. I have ordered the MFG pedals and hope that they will fix that.

But no matter how good you get, keep in mind what Erich Brunotte said: "with the FW-190 your 100th take-off or landing requires as much concentration as your first one!"

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

MFG will definitely make a difference.. a lot, for that matter. I recommend you to use the 'no center' cam with 0 deadzone. You'll notice heavy improvements.. :)

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

I find hardware quality and settings to make a world of difference. Overcoming the oversensitivity with a bit of curve and/or saturation can do wonder.

Adding a stick extension too.

MFG pedals and similar quality products are of a huge help, even in the first hours you may not feel it. I use MFG without spring for choppers, and it's amazing how precise I can go. This boost your confidence in what you are able to control, this is a big help

And then there's VR. Again, it's another world, I've botched 2 landings in 109 with the Rift, since then, everything is easy. Even the crosswind landing from the 109 campaign (well, it's noe "easy" but really feasible).

Since hardware quality & settings goes along with passing time inside the cockpit (for example, to find the correct settings), there's a moment where it simply clicks and everything becomes smooth.

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

• 1 month later...

After crashing and skidding all over the place on take off with the toe brake corrections method, I went awww f*** it and advanced throttle fast with full right rudder.. No trim, no flaps. I should be a hole in the ground but it was the easiest take off ever :| Not sure if that should happen.