Latest Benchmarks - Intel vs AMD

I'm not 100% certain where to find the thread/posts and also don't have the time to look for it but I remember someone (Silver Dragon?) stated something about the progression of Vulkan implementation and most people left with the impression that it already was surprisingly advanced, more than you'd think.

The last update from Wags (a few months ago?) was that the engine was updated to use Vulkan, and the devs were working on the shaders. I imagine that's the bulk of the work.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

My Magic Glass tells me AMD is the better deal down the road.

I run both side by side, Intel and AMD Ryzen 1st and 2nd gen,...hands down, AMD is clearly the easier to maintain system. Intel flodds you with IME and Bios updates that you CANNOT revert and each one takes it's toll on performance, cuz of their shi//y silicon layout.

Once Intel fixes that in silicon and gets to 10 or 7nm things may look better.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

FYI: while I typed the above...

checked my Asus board's page, yet another Bios MAINLY to fix ( or cripple ) the IME....along with a new IRST driver that is bugged after vers. 16.02, which is 1 11/2 years old.

If I had not built this 5-5.2G 8700k I am gaming on almost 2 years ago I'd happily hop to Team AMD. I have not had that hassle with any of my Ryzens. Love'em for the ease of operation

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Forget everything I’ve said, buy Intel.

3900X won’t even post in my board, RAM training fails of all things.

FFS.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

FFS.

What board? It sounds like a BIOS incompatibility.

Also I have never had much luck with RAM training on x370 (Crosshair) or x470 (Taichi). I used the Ryzen Ram calculator and with manual settings had success with both Hynix and B-die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FFS.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/HelpDesk_CPU/

Umm, kinda your fault there, and partially Asus. Even though there are bioses available newer than whats listed on the compatibility list, they haven't given details on which CPU are supported. The chart for my X470 board at least has some of the new chips up to the 3800X from the previous bios, but no details yet on what the latest BIOS that's available added.

Edit: Well they just added the 3900X to the list for my board as part of the previous bios.

Edited by blkspade

There are still people who don't or can't check hardware compatibility before buying and then the first thing they do is blame the manufacturer the moment they encounter problems :doh:Lmao

Ummm... thx guys but I’m not an idiot. Crosshair VI Hero, latest BiOS (flashed several times to be sure), supposed to be compatible with this BIOS and board (albeit “unofficial” compatability”). I’ll also note that AMD advertised forward comparability years ago. Yes they may have said AM4 and not X370, but that’s greasy if it was their plan all along.

There is a bug in the AMD AGESA BIOS right now that causes it to undervolt high speed RAM. My Q Code is calling it a RAM problem. I’ve had issues with this RAM all along, so I’m sure this is the issue. The problem is I can’t even get it to boot once to manually up the voltage. :doh:

Edit: I also blame Asus, who have not released proper AGESA 1.0.0.3AB BIOS yet, even for those boards that do have “official” support. 1.0.0.2.B isn’t fully compatible. Droves of people having issues, though many have 3900X working in a C6H at lower RAM speeds. I think my RAM is crap.

Edited by Sandman1330

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

The BIOS is to blame. The CH6 support page has serious ommissions. This board will taken any 3000 cpu including 16 core providing the BIOS works. I'll provide proof later.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Apologize if posting in the wrong section. Nonetheless, anxious to begin my DCS career so to speak...Does anyone have a GTX 1660Ti using for DCS..if so are u regulated to 1080p or is VR or 2K possible? Also, as the new releases from ED and it's affiliates are launched is 16GB of RAM sufficient or will 32GB be the new standard...if not already? The System Req has been static for some time..including with the latest releases such as the F-14...About to purchase/build just trying to get the best bang for my buck...mainly Mil-Sim; Flight-Sims exclusively...Thx in advance

There is no black or white answer to your question, so here's a grey one ;) With a 1660 Ti and 16Gb of Ram you should be able to run DCS at 1080 with no problem and achieve reasonable frame rates IF you are not being bottlenecked by you CPU... you didn't mention what your CPU is.... 2K may also be fine but I suspect VR would be a stretch. This all, of course, depends on your graphics options within DCS.

Windows 10 64 bit | Intel i5-9600k OC 5 Ghz | RTX 2080 |VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB DDR 4 OC 3200

Hotas Warthog | Logitech G Flight Rudder Pedals | Track IR 4

Well i am counting on MSI's compatibility info for a 3600x/b450m build . So we'll see .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

This is why you always actually wait for new hardware and software to mature before buying into it. You literally bought on the 3rd day or so, that's what you get. Lesson learned.

Sadly, Intel and Asus give a FU§$ about driver consistency, naming conventions and upgradability.

To name the child by it's name:

Intel Chipset drivers: dated 1968, so it can be overwritten,...wont install anyway ( ROG forum is full of those threads )

Intel IRST: bugged heavily after 16.02, no cure in sight, you get a BTRRRR freeze

Intel LAN drivers, similar to the above, just not as harmful or hindering operations.

Asus Update, THE MOSTE USELESS PIECE of BLOATWARE in our GALAXY ( struggles with ALL of the above )

I'd trade mysystem with a Ryzen 3700x anytime, just not with an Asus Board, done with those guys.

Times have changed and companies get away with broken products.

I have just spend 2h trying to update my Bios to 2202, install the newest IRST, IME and Chipset driver.

On my AMD's...this takes 3 minutes ! ( even though they are also all Asus based, which I will NOT do again.

Intel sucks, so does Asus. Sorry to destroy some dreams and wishfull thinking.

I could throw this rig out o my window...and soon I will. The day it starts to actually perform poorly, crash due to the above shortcomings etc. I will crunch it and get me a AMD, not for the Office, but for my evenings in my game room. Right now, there are many things to complain, there really are from an admin POV..but it does perform real nice, that's the funny thing, nothing to complain....it's just a shame they treat the systems they sell like they do.

I am so done with Intel and Asus..really, get off of my cloud :mad:

I am so done with Intel and Asus..really, get off of my cloud :mad:

Wait 2 months or so, let the hardware and software mature and then go build a Ryzen setup. Once the manufacturers see how well it performs maybe even someone like EVGA jump onboard and build boards. Possibly, the 3950X will even be better for DCS, if not theres still the other new AMD CPUs. Who would build Intel rigs with built-in backdoors anyway? :book:

Well, finally there is actual performance data for the new Ryzens .. even tough I still believe that the best processors for DCS are still some models of Intel, for those of us who already have a 1st generation Ryzen, the upgrade is a much more cost-effective alternative than changing everything to Intel.

On my case, I have a Ryzen 1500X, that has a single core passmark of 1850 ... and I can sell it used for around US$ 100 (on my country). I'm considering the Ryzen 3600 as replacement, that has a local price of around US$ 270 and has a single core passmark of 2840 ... so that's a 54% increase for a cost difference of US$ 170 .. which is nice to have, even if my current GPU would probably becoma a bottleneck.

I'm not interested on the 3600X because it isnt much better on single core performance than the 3600 but the cost goes up by a further US$ 70 .. so, I'd rather settle for the 3600 :)

Fortunately, my current motherboard (an Asrock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4) can support the new processor with just a BIOS upgrade :) ... lets hope it isnt as bad as some horror tales that I've read here :D

Cheers

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

with all these problems, it’s no wonder consoles are so popular.

unpack, plug-n-play and you’re gaming in beautiful 4K, in minutes.

:) ... yeah, but, can you play DCS on a Console?

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

So it booted once after removing CMOS batt for the day. Recognized the 3900X no problem, but went back to its old ways (code 07) on subsequent boot.

I’ve removed the batt again and am waiting. If it boots again, I will up RAM voltage manually and see if it fixes it.

I think it’s my crap RAM, which never ran to spec 3200 from the get go. I think it’s failing RAM training due to low voltage induced by BIOS bugs.

Up and running!

Managed to get it to boot into BIOS once (again, removing CMOS battery, though it took 2 tries of that). Upped memory voltage to 1.35v, and I'm up and into Windows.

I'm afraid to try and get the memory up to speed, as if it fails, I may not get it booted again... But at least I know everything works and is compatible!

Woke up this morning, ran Cinebench R15 for a single core of 199(!), but my AIO cooler wasn't being detected by it's software so I ran an update of the AIO software which required a reboot and.... Code 07. Won't boot again. :mad:

At least I know it all works, I think it's crap Asus BIOS. They've fallen behind all the other vendors in releasing AGESA 1.0.0.3.AB.

Last time I buy an Asus board.

Wait 2 months or so, let the hardware and software mature and then go build a Ryzen setup. Once the manufacturers see how well it performs maybe even someone like EVGA jump onboard and build boards. Possibly, the 3950X will even be better for DCS, if not theres still the other new AMD CPUs. Who would build Intel rigs with built-in backdoors anyway? :book:

True words.

Since I did those updates I mentioned above I get bsod‘s with kernel time errors.... Go to hell Intel

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Is it possible to compare benchmarks with DCS?

If you want to test the strength of one CPU against another, sure. When you see that a 9900K has the DCS performance of X and you have a benchmark testing a processor against this 9900K you can use this as an indication of how well this new CPU would perform in DCS. If that's not what you meant be more specific.

Edited by Der Hirte

Ok, so you can see many popular benchmarks like in Tomb Raider, Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, etc. Is it possible to place DCS in between some of those benchmarks for the CPU or GPU performance?

When I am watching benchmark videos I can hardly tell how it will be like in DCS or even DCS in 1-2 years.