Static vs Dynamic IP address problem

=Mac=

I created a mission with my IP address which did show up in the server list. People could not join in. I sent the mission to my buddy who also showed up in the server list. People COULD join up (including me.)

I am told that my buddy's ISP gives him a static IP address where my ISP gives me a dynamic IP address. At both times, my buddy and I use port forwarding of 10308.

I am told that DCS does not use dynamic IP addresses which is why my buddy can run a MP server while I cannot.

Is there a way to get my mission on MY machine using MY IP address (which my ISP refuses to give me a static IP address)?

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

Static and dynamic IPs work just the same ... their only difference is that the static IP is always the same, while the dynamic one can change over time.

If people cant connect to your server is for one of these causes:

The port forward on your router isnt setup properly.

Your antivirus or firewall is blocking the port.

You can test if your port is open properly by testing it with a scanner, like this: http://www.whatsmyip.org/port-scanner/

(Use custom option, to test port 10308 )

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Hi Mac,

as I also experienced your problem and spent quite a time to analyze this issue i might know the reason, why you have this problems.

I think your problem will more likely be connected to the IPv4 vs. IPv6/DS Lite problem.

Depending on the country you live in and your ISP it might be that your ISP will only offer you a "DS Lite" (Dual Stack lite) connection.

As IPv4 addresses are very limited, ISPs try to avoid giving real IPv4 addresses to new customers.

In Germany for example some ISPs will only give you an IPv4 address in their business contracts, which cost immensly more ofcourse. Other ISPs (like Telekom, 1 & 1 e.t.c.) will give you a real IPv4 address if you request it. Just try t call your support.

To clarify:

I am not an network expert, but i will try to explain the problem with DS lite:

Your ISP has a further network router between you and the "real" internet world. So your official router and external IP address is IPv6 and your "internal" is IPv4. It has nothing to do with the router you have at home as this happens somewhere else in the network.

Due to this an external request first lands in this external ISP owned router and it would need to be forwarded to your connection. With this you will not be able to host any Server for any game.

To work properly the protforwarding you set in your router should also be configured in this external one. But no ISP would do that i assume.

You will also most probably experience problems with VPN like tungle or will not be able to work in home office, as you wont be able to establish a VPN connection.

My tip:

If you call your ISP tell them you need a real IPv4 address in order to work from home and it is absolutely mandatory for you.

Best regards and good luck with that buddy,

Fleck

Edited:

Made some minor corrections and addotions.

Edited by mcfleck

There is really only one thing that will prevent them from connecting to you. When they send packets to your ip address, it does not reach your computer.

It could be that your router is not port forwarding to your computer. I don't know if DCS uses UPnP, in which case UPnP has to be enabled at your router.

Or it could be (apparently common in germany) that you don't get an IPv4 address leading to your router in the first place. (See also mcfleck's post above.) If you can find the external IP address of your router (you'll have to log in on your router), and it is within the 'private IP' ranges (10.* 172.16-31.* 192.168.*) this is definitely the case. (The internal/lan address will most certainly be within those ranges, usually 192.168.1.1)

Static IPs are not what you need.

Static IP addresses give you two things: One, if it does change while under use (which can be a once-every-several-months) it will disconnect everyone connected right then. Two, you don't need to tell your friends the (potentially) new IP every time you're setting up for a game.

Configure Dynamic DNS on your rouiter. Search for "No-IP Free Dynamic DNS" and follow the guides there. When specifying your DCS server address you simply replaces the IP address with your dynamic name that is tide to the DynamicDNS.

DCS Server: <your Dynamic DNS name>:10308

No one will ever ask you for your IP address again.

The issue with Dynamic IP is that IF you start hosting on ip X and a bit later

your ISP forces and IP update on you eg ip Y, then you are screwed

There is pretty much nothing you can do about it, most ISP's are b*stards

and will ask for more money just to get you a static IP, some will only

allow static IP's on their business class services which cost mucho $$

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests