F/A-18C Armament Thread

Angelthunder

Oh, interesting. I only have expeience with Mavericks getting shot down by Tunguskas. If SAMs actually do that on a greater scale then this offers indeed some opportunity to use Decoys.

The jamming capability is still not possible in DCS, because the way DCS simulates jamming means, that you can only protect yourself through jamming, but not others.

Yeah jamming is simplistic in DCS at the moment "from what i gather the radar system in the new engine with the hornet will crank things up a notch or 2 from a fidelity point of view"

But even assuming that does not happen, AA can engage Weapons "as long as you switch them to do so", having fake contacts on A2A radars as well can be interesting game as well in PVP.

I was flying on Blue flags once in the M2k, GCI directs me to a hostile AJS37, and cleared to me to engage, I drop my radar low and see the AJS, and suddenly i see 4 more contacts, I knew i was not going to win a 5 v 1, I called on GCI for back up and that i have 5 hostiles where he told me there was 1, only for him to sell me those where BK90s. Since then it became easy to spot them but I would assume something dedicated and programmable would cause lots of confusion Even if its Vs players only.

From a game engine pov, it should be that AA should treat them the same way ships treat all incoming threats. pretty sure stating on the TALD "i am an aircraft" sorta trigger will work easily. Also BK90 tests I did seem to get every thing to shoot at them.

I think the BK90 in game atm is basically a Hack to the engine where they are basically "AI" aircraft "hence why they also have IFF"

Edited by sirscorpion

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will we be getting the AIM-7P??? It was the last large scale production version designed to replace the Mike model.

I really find it disappointing that we only have the Mike model for player use in the game, and it would make since to have the P model introduced with the Hornet because the Navy would still have it in loadouts during the time period of our Hornet

subject can carry AIM-7F, AIM-7F-11, AIM-7M, AIM-7M (H-Build), AIM-7P Block 1, AIM-7P Block 2

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3245537&postcount=5

Edited by Heli

US uses it too.

Correction, the USAF uses it. You will never see a USN or USMC Hornet carry it.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

subject can carry AIM-7F, AIM-7F-11, AIM-7M, AIM-7M (H-Build), AIM-7P Block 1, AIM-7P Block 2

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3245537&postcount=5

Very epic information sheet, thank you for putting it together!

It would be really nice if one day we could get the SUU-20 pod for the Hornet. The Canadians and Australians have been using this in the past.

http://www.marvingroup.com/images/uploads/documents/SUU-20_Flyer_-_Final_Draft_1.pdf

+1, would make for some fun training flights

Correction, the USAF uses it. You will never see a USN or USMC Hornet carry it.

Then we prob won't see it anywhere near release, lets hope it gets added along the way of hornet 2.0

T.16000m HOTAS + Pedals || TrackIR5 ||

Win10 64bit || 120+500GB SSD, 1TB HDD || i5 4440 @3.3GHz || 16GB RAM @ 1600MHz || GTX1070 G1 ||

FCIII, L39ZA, AJS-37, Normandy '44, Persian Gulf, Channel

F/A-18C, Bf-109 K-4, WW2 Asset Pack, CA, P-47, F-16

• 3 weeks later...

So, we will not be seeing double racked AGM-65s or GBU-12s? I was fairly sure the legacy Hornet could carry those on MERs; I know they dont use TERs because of the drag and weight.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Groundpounder extraordinaire

SPECS: i7-4790K, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 16 GB RAM, MSI GTX 980ti, Thrustmaster WARTHOG HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder pedals, TrackIR 5

• ED Team
So, we will not be seeing double racked AGM-65s or GBU-12s? I was fairly sure the legacy Hornet could carry those on MERs; I know they dont use TERs because of the drag and weight.

If you can find info showing it, then please supply, but currently ED believes that this is not the case.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

36473322136_7264b6a6f9_b.jpg

bru55.jpg

Not sure about Mavericks but I believe the BRU-57/A double rack supports GBU-12s

file.php?id=6776&t=1

And again on the "wrong" plane.

Mavericks may foul one another on this type of mount owing to the wings increasing the diameter of the store plus the electrical support may not be there at least on the BRU-57/A

Edited by Paradox

No I don't think that's the case, the F/A-18C carries only the LAU-117 which is a single launcher that carries and launches the AGM-65s as you can see in the attachment below.

This document does not mention any other LAU that is capable of launching multiple Mavericks (F/A-18C aircraft).

attachment.php?attachmentid=170663&stc=1&d=1507910417

Edited by Vitormouraa

Dual GBU/12s were never used in Fleet like that.

That picture is of a Static Display isnt it?

IIRC VMFA-533 Decided to do a Mock Loadout of 4x GBU/12s on 2x BRU55s for fun/photo session.

But that loadout will never be done in real life due to Drag and Weight, and Wing Stress.

As for AGM-65s,, only one per pylon via LAU-117

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

USMC Legacy Hornets have more capability than USN Hornets.

USMC Bought BRU-55 Racks when they became available, the USN just started buyign them this year.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

USMC Legacy Hornets have more capability than USN Hornets.

USMC Bought BRU-55 Racks when they became available, the USN just started buyign them this year.

OK and the Lot 20 Hornets are in service with both Marines and Navy so I don't see a problem.

Well I have seen F/A-18C with BRU-33/55 many times, loaded with GBU-12s and GBU-38s. It may not be a common practice by the U.S Navy, but it is used when necessary.

Like this one. (ignore the loading process)

HfSMVDY.png

This is the MER, mainly used to drop BDU-33/Mk-76s.

AZsfSlj.png

OK and the Lot 20 Hornets are in service with both Marines and Navy so I don't see a problem.

because the BRU55 Racks the USN Purchased went to Super Hornet Sqns, USN Legacy Hornets didnt get any and wont since they are going to either be stripped for parts, rebuilt to C+ or transferred to the USMC as is.

because the BRU55 Racks the USN Purchased went to Super Hornet Sqns, USN Legacy Hornets didnt get any and wont since they are going to either be stripped for parts, rebuilt to C+ or transferred to the USMC as is.

That would be real life though, F/A-18C in DCS carrying BRU-33/55s loaded with two GBU-12s is perfectly fine.

Then there is nothing stopping the Marines (and therefore DCS users with a simulated Lot 20 F/A-18C) using BRU-55/A with GBU-12s on a Lot 20 F/A-18C

I'm glad we agree.

• Like 1

One can use the performance manual for the F/A-18 to see that a loadout that takes advantage of the dual GBU-12s can be easily used without handicapping yourself in either weight or drag.

I'm no expert, but I spent a lot of time going over what loaouts were feasible with that manual.

And yeah there's no dual rack for AGM-65s

GeForce GTX 970, i5 4690K 3.5 GHz, 8 GB ram, Win 10, 1080p

USMC does a lot of things w/ their hornets the USN doesnt do, for example,. the Litening Pod on the Centerline.

And who's to say those are "Lot 20" Hornets?,

VMFA-115 Flies Either F/A-18A+ Airframes, or the New C+ Airframes being delivered to the Marines.

The C+ Standard Hornets are above Lot 20 Capability.

Physically Possible, Yes, but I've never seen a Legacy Hornet w/ that Loadout on the ship.

The other thing is, other than LOT what year is the ED Hornet Based on?, because the BRU-55 was not part of the Fleet until 2003/2004 for the USMC.

Edited by SkateZilla

All lot 20 hornets were delivered in 1998. It also doesn't matter since BRU-55/A is compatible with all hornet wing stations as you can plainly see.

I'm not arguing about the LITENING pod on the centreline because I don't know if they made any modifications to the electrical system on that station

I do know that BRU-55/A racks contain standard hardware and fully support GBU-12s. I also know that the NATOPS manual for the F/A-18C (that is up to date with Lot 20) has detailed information on the weight, drag and operational requirements for GBU-12s on dual racks.

Your point is that Marine hornets sometimes do things that Navy hornets don't do. Alright, would it suit you to have BRU-55/As with GBU-12s only available for DCS Hornets with Marine skins?

I think that's a bit silly frankly.

There's no reason for this capability to not be simulated.

I also have not seen an A-10C that I can verify is the same lot as the one simulated in DCS with suite 3 carrying AGM-65Ks. Does that mean it shouldn't be simulated?

I contend not.

• Like 2