Let marshal give flights a stack holding altitude

Wizard1393

I know this is prebriefed IRL but...

In DCS, either with AI flights and/or in a multiplayer "dynamic" mission there's no prebriefed holding altitudes.

For the sole sake of deconflicting, even if not 100% accurate according to IRL practices, the marshal could say something like "111, Holding altitude 3000, Report see me at 10"

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

• 2 weeks later...

Well if it's prebriefed IRL lets make it the same in DCS. There should be a way to determine the holding altitudes of the AI so we can predict the proper one to assign to player flights.

I would want that more than unrealistic comms (like we have with the tankers and speed?)

Ideally, as planes return to the boat ( and assuming USS Boat is on BRC and green deck), the marshal controller will take aircraft into the stack from low-to-high as they arrive, and start them commencing with no delay unless there's already traffic.

IRL there might be some tweaks to that accounting for a/c type and fuel states, or an aircraft with an emergency (critically lo fuel or combat damage), but that might be too much for the AI at this point.

But what I don't need is to be given a push time in 20 or 30 minutes when there's nobody else in the stack and there's no conflicting traffic. Although realism is nice, this is still a game and ain't nobody got time for that. (Same reason I don't do 'cold starts' where I have to sit around for 8 minutes waiting for an INS to align.)

Player automatic calls are annoying enough as it is already and I wouldn't want unrealistic comms.

I think the best way to go about this is through the ME. In a similar fashion to the selection of a parking spot for airport landing, let us be able to assign a holding altitude to each flight landing on the SC, on the flight's Landing waypoint.

There could also be a plane limit to each altitude, same as for the parking spots (but more than 1, this time). And if the mission creator doesn't want to take the time to adjust these options, there is always Auto (again, same as the parking spots), which is already implemented.

I think this would be a win-win situation that would satisfy everyone.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I think the best way to go about this is through the ME. In a similar fashion to the selection of a parking spot for airport landing, let us be able to assign a holding altitude to each flight landing on the SC, on the flight's Landing waypoint.

I like this idea.

Player automatic calls are annoying enough as it is already and I wouldn't want unrealistic comms.

There could also be a plane limit to each altitude, same as for the parking spots (but more than 1, this time). And if the mission creator doesn't want to take the time to adjust these options, there is always Auto (again, same as the parking spots), which is already implemented.

I think this would be a win-win situation that would satisfy everyone.

Excellent idea.

Please ED, don't take forever to implement this. It seems pretty straightforward and in-line with current functionality

Well if it's prebriefed IRL lets make it the same in DCS. There should be a way to determine the holding altitudes of the AI so we can predict the proper one to assign to player flights.

I would want that more than unrealistic comms (like we have with the tankers and speed?)

We already have somewhat unrealistic comms because CASE I is ziplip from "See you at 10" to calling the ball: You do not check in with "tower" and you will not be given a Signal Charlie from the Airboss (per CNATRA P-816). It's all timed.

I'm okay with this departure from realism because:

1. The AI are lacking I.

2. Cyclic Ops isn't modeled

3. We aren't real naval aviators capable of timing things like that (though I would love to try that challenge in the sim)

So I'd be okay with another departure from realistic comms in order to get traffic flowing smoothly around the Boat.

What I would like added is if my Aircraft is damaged I should be abled to declare an emergency and have first chance to land or have the barricade propped up. As far as low on fuel you should be able to go to the tanker unless your aircraft is got an un-operational fuel probe which you can declare an emergency. YES we are not real pilots but hey let's add to the immersion.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the best way to go about this is through the ME.

Sure, thats possible for the "regular" mission. But then there's dynamic MP missions where AI and players are spawning whenever... I don't believe in that kind of "static" solution to the problem.

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick