move map to different harddrive

kswichael

I am running out of room on the ssd and was wondering if there was a way to move the Persian Gulf map to another mechanical harddrive that I have with more room. Is there a config file to edit to tell DCS where the Persian Gulf map has been moved to. Or, until I get a new SSD with more room, can I uninstall/trash can the Persian Gulf map through the Module Manager without losing my license and still be able to re-download and install it at a later date. Thanks for the help.

You can uninstall from the UI without penalty AFAIK.

There is no way to configure DCS or use different drives for maps.

You could use a hard link in the file system to “move” the directory where the PG map is contained... but... you would notice a considerable increase in load times:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/131182-create-soft-hard-symbolic-links-windows.html

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

as mentioned above but tldr version; be aware though it will take ages to load :D

mklink /J "C:\Steam\steamapps\common\DCSWorld\Mods\terrains\Nevada" "D:\DCS YER YOK\Mods\terrains\Nevada"

mklink /J "C:\Steam\steamapps\common\DCSWorld\Mods\terrains\PersianGulf" "D:\DCS YER YOK\Mods\terrains\PersianGulf"

• 2 weeks later...

Another possible solution is to purchase a new Hard Drive, install it, and then re-install DCS on that, including all your maps. My current installation of DCS is about 165 GBs and I only have a few other things on that HD (2 TBs), so I have a lot of room for expansion. It's my second HD (of three) installed in my 'puter.