Normandy Map Discussion

Lenux

• 2 weeks later...
Is it just me or is the tree shading updated on Normandy. Check the Spitfire free flight quick mission. It looks a LOT better than usual in terms of colours/shading.

You are right. Its not perfect but way better now.

Before, the lightning and shadowing were simply too strong. Too bright in sunlight and too dark in shadows. After over 2 years they finally fixed (at least to me) one of the most distracting graphic issues of this map.

Time to blow the dust off and fly it again :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gainward RTX 2080 OC | i7 8700K OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3600 MHz | MSI Z370-A PRO | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB

Is it just me or is the tree shading updated on Normandy. Check the Spitfire free flight quick mission. It looks a LOT better than usual in terms of colours/shading.

Hm. Well, in the latest OB patch notes the following is noted:

"Known issues:

Trees shadows quality is degraded"

Would be funny if this makes Normandy look better.....

Fox

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

No improvement in my opinion.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• 1 month later...
so... all the promises about an update are vanished?

Do you know something that the rest of us don’t?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Yes!

On the topic of updates: did you guys see the trees and landscape behind the latest P-47's screenshot?

We did, and it is here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4043343&postcount=1180

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

this

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=243274

I have been away from the forum and haven't updated my DCS World in a while, so I was wondering if all this was already released or not

I was asking about your comment 'so... all the promises about an update are vanished' which suggested you know something that others don't, i.e. that the update isn't going to happen.

• 4 weeks later...

Status of this module?

Disheartening to see that the map has apparently no confirmed bugs or issues whatsoever. That suggests that the map is perfect and yet we know different. Is there actually going to be any updates to the map, bug fixes and issues resolved at any point in the distant future or did we all just throw our money away? I've played on the Normandy map precisely 2 times since I stupidly bought it.

• ED Team
Disheartening to see that the map has apparently no confirmed bugs or issues whatsoever. That suggests that the map is perfect and yet we know different. Is there actually going to be any updates to the map, bug fixes and issues resolved at any point in the distant future or did we all just throw our money away? I've played on the Normandy map precisely 2 times since I stupidly bought it.

Free Normandy Map Update Coming

In May 2017, Urga Media released their DCS: Normandy 1944 map for DCS World. The map focused on the landing beaches of Normandy and points south to encompass the breakout period in June 1944. The entire map also includes portions of southern England and areas outside the landing and breakout area to the south at a lower level of detail. The total map size is 267 x 348 kilometers and includes many period specific buildings, bridges, vehicles, windmills, and other objects that populate the map. This has been the ideal map for World War II combat and even low-altitude helicopter flying.

Since the release and a large update to this map, Urga Media has been very busy to two primary items: The DCS: Syria map and another large, free, update to the Normandy map!

This free Normandy map update will include the following:

• Improved quality of ground textures (fields and urban areas).
  • Improved quality of the noise textures. This will be particularly evident at low altitudes.
  • Improved quality of the coastline, both in Normandy and along the English coast.
  • Processing of fields and city vector data to use new DCS World terrain technologies.
  • Improved quality of the rivers and lakes.
  • Improved quality of roads.
  • Increased the number of unique objects and scenes.
  • Optimization and improved the look of the trees and forests.
  • Optimization of map for virtual reality performance.

We have no planned release date at this time.

We don't have a timeline yet, but work is progressing.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

We don't have a timeline yet, but work is progressing.

thanks

When was that posted? I must have missed it so sorry for that.

However...

Is it really appropriate to celebrate in the fact an update is "FREE!" when you've already fleeced us for an incomplete and inaccurate, poor performing and controversial (cough asset pack) module in the first place? And then to announce that this "FREE!" update has no release date as yet so frankly is worth as much as my intention to cure cancer, marry a supermodel and become a billionaire...:megalol:

So basically the answer to my question is accurately summed up as "yes, you did throw your money away"

• ED Team
When was that posted? I must have missed it so sorry for that.

However...

Is it really appropriate to celebrate in the fact an update is "FREE!" when you've already fleeced us for an incomplete and inaccurate, poor performing and controversial (cough asset pack) module in the first place? And then to announce that this "FREE!" update has no release date as yet so frankly is worth as much as my intention to cure cancer, marry a supermodel and become a billionaire...:megalol:

So basically the answer to my question is accurately summed up as "yes, you did throw your money away"

Asset Pack is by ED, the Normandy Map is by Ugra Media.

Nothing about the Normandy Map is incomplete, it was complete to what it was stated to be done, yes it was below the quality of other maps, but as its a 3rd Party and very new to the ED terrain tools, they are now trying to improve it.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

The map needs updating, Radar domes at dungerness, The 3 radar towers top of Whitfield dover (Home chain radar), Dover castle, Manston airfield itself also used during 1944/45 infact. Even pill boxes (I think they were called) Were used all over the coast of England to defend from invasion. So much detail is missing on the UK side.

Edited by Coxy_99

So much detail is missing on the UK side.

I don't have a quote handy, but as I recall it, England was never meant to be part of the map. They added a bit of South England to extend the map a bit, but I think there was never any intention of making this as detailed as Normandy itself.

• 1 month later...