no radar missile launch warning in MP

Banzaiib

version 2.5.6.52437

Last night in multiplayer on several of the best known servers, I was not getting missile launch warnings at all in the Su-27, J-11, or Su-33.

TWS launched amraams gave no warning at all. S-300 and SA-15 only gave lock warnings, no missile launch beeping when they fired at me.

the tracks I have are massive. Will try to make smaller ones this evening.

Edited by Banzaiib

version 2.5.6.52437

Last night in multiplayer on several of the best known servers, I was not getting missile launch warnings at all in the Su-27, J-11, or Su-33.

TWS launched amraams gave no warning at all. S-300 and SA-15 only gave lock warnings, no missile launch beeping when they fired at me.

the tracks I have are massive. Will try to make smaller ones this evening.

Don't know about the SAMs, but if the AMRAAMs were shot from outside your RWRs limits (high and close for example) then you will not hear any warning.

Same thing happens if you engage someone from 12km altitude at 20km. Even if you are only using SARH they won't hear any launch warning.

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

That's a good point. I'll test more this evening with different altitudes if possible.

I was shot at by both S-300 and SA-15, the SA-15 from about 5 miles and only about 1000 ft AGL up to about 7,000 ft AGL... and got no launch warning, only lock... even when the radar was clearly within the sensor limits.

edit: quick test at lunch, SA-2 and SA-11 both give lock and launch warnings.

Will test SA-15 and amraams later tonight.

Edit: i guess i was wrong. sorry. After more testing, all seems fine.

Edited by Banzaiib

From the testing I've done, any AIM-120 fired from a soft-lock will not be indicated on the SPO-15, or any other in-game RWR, for that matter. This is strategically problematic for a number of reasons, the most prominent of which is the response time you have when the AIM-120's seeker goes active.

In the scenario I was testing (1.2M, 10,000 Metres, head-on), the response time was so small, that whether you made it to the notch bearing was hit or miss.

Ultimately, the only solution I've found is to give the threat a side-ways look, placing them on the 65-70 degree limits of your radar. That way, you're already the majority of the way to the notch.

This has the added benefit of allowing the AMRAAM to get real close, so if you do your job right and lose the missile, it has no chance of reacquisition, since it's already overshot.

From the testing I've done, any AIM-120 fired from a soft-lock will not be indicated on the SPO-15, or any other in-game RWR, for that matter. This is strategically problematic for a number of reasons, the most prominent of which is the response time you have when the AIM-120's seeker goes active.

But it's correct. You have to assume the bandit is going to shoot, just as with IR missiles.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

But it's correct. You have to assume the bandit is going to shoot, just as with IR missiles.

I'm not contesting that.

Detecting a missile launch is always going to be about consolidating information from as many launch indicators as possible, irrespective of missile type. Whether it's the RWR, visual ID (AMRAAMS leave a very subtle trail, visible at full-zoom if you know where to look), or just your perception of the situation as a whole.

Edited by Cheetah7798

Yup, reactive defending is dead at decent alts now if the bandit takes the shot properly, you HAVE to pre-emptively defend. Though using avaliable tools to determine when he launched does help SA, and for better RMD

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

Though using avaliable tools to determine when he launched does help SA, and for better RMD

And if you ever find yourself thinking "huh, I wonder why that guy just started cranking" you should already be doing something about the missile on its way to you :megalol:

VC

=X51= Squadron is recruiting!

X51 website: https://x51squadron.com/

Join our Discord: https://discord.gg/d9JtFY4

And if you ever find yourself thinking "huh, I wonder why that guy just started cranking" you should already be doing something about the missile on its way to you :megalol:

Yep lol

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

In case of R-27, sometimes you need not do anything :music_whistling::lol:

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉