CAMNO and the Viggen

Mule

Can't wait to get my hands on this module. The Swedish really nailed it with this beautiful aircraft. I pre-purchased it last night.

Does anyone else play Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations? If so do you know of any scenarios that use the Viggen within any missions, If so can you send me a link or point me in the right direction to get them?

Well done Letherneck on producing what looks like a classic within DCS. I missed out on the MIG 21 but will get it in time.

:thumbup:

Edited by Mule

Norrland Defense, 1990 features JA and AJ37, and it's included in the community pack.

There's also a 1981 version of the same scenario (link).

The author is also a member of this forum, so possibly there's more Viggen oriented scenarios.

edit: sniped :)

Leatherneck seems to have done an amazing job on the Viggen and i can't wait to get my hands on them this friday! Been waiting for this for the better part of 18 months now :D

Off topic:

Yep, the two missions that i made that heavily featured the Viggen is Norrland Defense 1981 and 1990. I have other SwAF missions as well, http://steamcommunity.com/id/Skjold89/myworkshopfiles/

I hope they still work properly with the latest updates of the game, as i haven't played for a while. If you have suggestions / bug reports etc feel free to add me.

/ Skjold

I also enjoyed Skjolds CMANO missions (and already told him that a few months ago wink.gif), but these and the Calmest Waters scenario is pretty much all there is in CMANO for us Viggen fans. Because of that I just started working on a new scenario this weekend which will take the Whiskey on the Rocks incident in 1981 as a basis and is supposed to resolve how it would have played out if the soviet rescue force did not have stopped.

I just started working on the scenario and if work goes well and I'm satisfied with it I might share it with the public.

PS: I haven't really started the research needed for creating this scenario yet, but if someone could provide me information on the exact position where the Whiskey got stuck and about the composition of the soviet rescue force I would appreciate it :)

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I play CMANO, and even tried it as a larp mechanic at work once. Chaos was total, but fun.

I really enjoyed "calmest waters", which I actually played to the end. Norrland Defense I have gotten halfway through at one time before getting distracted, but man JA-Viggens kick Flanker ass. :P Gotta search more actively for Skjold missions I guess then.

PS: I haven't really started the research needed for creating this scenario yet, but if someone could provide me information on the exact position where the Whiskey got stuck and about the composition of the soviet rescue force I would appreciate it :)

Location: 56°4'24"N 15°44'0"E http://wikimapia.org/4914044/Site-of-the-U-137-crisis-whiskey-on-the-rocks

Documentary (Swedish :D)

Thanks for the coordinates. That's exactly what I was looking for :thumbup:

The documentary seems very interesting and I would love to watch it but I'm afraid my swedish isn't good enough :music_whistling:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Thanks for the coordinates. That's exactly what I was looking for :thumbup:

The documentary seems very interesting and I would love to watch it but I'm afraid my swedish isn't good enough :music_whistling:

I'm afraid my Swedish isn't any better than yours, in fact I don't understand a single word. :D

The rescue force isn't exactly well researched in open sources that Ive found under my years of looking into it. There were some 10 ships involved, one kashin, one kildin/kotlin (unclear), some sources mention a krivak, two nanuchkas and a riga. Naval infantry was loaded and ready. A tugboat tried to get to the s-363 before swedish forces had time to react, but was intercepted by the HMS Neptunus or a torpedo boat depending on sources.

The rescue force isn't exactly well researched in open sources that Ive found under my years of looking into it. There were some 10 ships involved, one kashin, one kildin/kotlin (unclear), some sources mention a krivak, two nanuchkas and a riga. Naval infantry was loaded and ready. A tugboat tried to get to the s-363 before swedish forces had time to react, but was intercepted by the HMS Neptunus or a torpedo boat depending on sources.

Thanks, but 10 ships? I only know about the 6 ships you mentioned minus the Krivak which is new to me. Do you know by any chance if the Nanuchkas are type II or type III (I assume type II)?

Tornado3 small.jpg

I have this book, that has some information. Just going trough it very quickly, but I can confirm one Kashin and one Kildin class destroyers.

- Kashin class, 446 Obraztsovyj, with the Baltic sea fleet chief of staff admiral Aleksej M Kalinin onboard. Noticable armament are the SSN 2 C (Nato "Styx") missiles.

- Kildin class, probably Bedovyy, also armed with Styx missiles.

20170125_122527.thumb.jpg.726017d3a7bc796c27ec726b119c371b.jpg

Edited by BravoYankee4

As said, fleet composition is a -huge- unknown. Different reliable sources who claimed to have been there give little or varying info, I suppose the situation on the swedish side were a bit of a mess. Nanuchka II would be exports, Is or IIIs would be the deal, sadly I believe both were in sevice in the baltic fleet at the moment. You would need to fill out your fleet with at least one tugboat. No idea if infantry were aboard the Kashin or if they had dedicated landing craft.

According to the book there was a submarine salvage ship ,SS-30 (Project 532, Valdai class), and it actually crossed the border, unclear if it was by mistake or not. The rest of the rescue fleet turned away just before the border / or approx 60 seconds after the coastal artillery radar switched from scanning to tracking mode. If the latter had any affect on admiral Kalinins decision to turn around or not we don't know.

Edited by BravoYankee4

According to http://kkrva.se/u-137-intrang-ska-framsta-som-oavsiktligt/ the kashin was no 462 and the kildin no 351, the tug Loksa was a project 733S. The Krivak was identified by division commander Jan Andersson flying a SF37.

According to Den dolda alliansen by Mikael Holmström,the Kashin is indeed the 446, and on the 28th oct at 2100 the rescue force consisted of 9 ships. By the 29th it had grown to 14 ships, with "hundreds" of naval infantrymen. By 0300 on the 30th, they would have been ready to rescue the stranded sub unless intel about the growing swedish forces had stopped it.

According to http://kkrva.se/u-137-intrang-ska-framsta-som-oavsiktligt/ the kashin was no 462 and the kildin no 351, the tug Loksa was a project 733S. The Krivak was identified by division commander Jan Andersson flying a SF37.

According to Den dolda alliansen by Mikael Holmström,the Kashin is indeed the 446, and on the 28th oct at 2100 the rescue force consisted of 9 ships. By the 29th it had grown to 14 ships, with "hundreds" of naval infantrymen. By 0300 on the 30th, they would have been ready to rescue the stranded sub unless intel about the growing swedish forces had stopped it.

Thanks, any information about the types of those 14 ships?

Tornado3 small.jpg

I have this book, that has some information. Just going trough it very quickly, but I can confirm one Kashin and one Kildin class destroyers.

- Kashin class, 446 Obraztsovyj, with the Baltic sea fleet chief of staff admiral Aleksej M Kalinin onboard. Noticable armament are the SSN 2 C (Nato "Styx") missiles.

- Kildin class, probably Bedovyy, also armed with Styx missiles.

A Kildin? Is this the ship that is said to be a Kotlin in most sources or another one?

Tornado3 small.jpg