Guide to using Warehousing in DCS

Pikey

Warehousing is a very powerful and underused tool that can be used to dynamically change a missions contents mid gaming session. It's both complicated and obvious, the DCS documentation explains some of it but not all of it. This guide refers to the current live release version as of writing. You can refer to the DCS documentation for basic Warehouse information on page 216 of the DCS manual in your isntallations, it's called 'Resource Management'.

WH= WareHouse and applies to Farp, Airport and Static warehouse objects.

Top Ten things you need to know about WH (that aren't documented)

1. The WH doesn't care if its red or blue for it's contents. If it's an airport type or Farp it can be flipped side. You can't Capture a Static WH. However it will not supply a WH on the opposite side (until captured and flipped back) see point 7.

2. The inital limit cannot be changed and the RM system will not exceed it but you can get the numbers of resource past the initial point by bringing units to the aerodrome and despawning them. So an empty WH with 0 for all planes will never request planes from anywhere else. Thus you need to set a number for it to request a resupply. But you could land a plane and get 1/0 E:0 (Thanks Grimes for extra details on that.)

3. Entering a MP slot reduces the WH contents by one plane of the type and all the fuel and ammo that came with it. Exiting the slot does not currently increase it back again (i think it should). Thus if you enter an SU27 5 times and only had 5 SU27's, the 6th time you dont enter anything and get stuck at the F10 view or whatever is default. This is super cool, but powerful.

4. If you use scripting to Spawn an aircraft at a base, it will deduct the same plane/ammo/fuel (resources) from the WH inventory! How cool is that?

5. If you use scripting to deactivate an AI unit, or an AI unit deactivates on an airport, it puts the plane BACK INTO INVENTORY, including over initial inventory (see 2)! How cool is that? So you can spawn and despawn AI and use the WH to govern limits and rates. NOTE: Aircraft now seem to park, go static and not despawn, depending on type and version of DCS. This can impact your WH system (and clog up the airport) This has behaviour has changed over multiple versions. (ED are aware)

6. If you have 6 MP slots and 5 of those planes in the WH inventory, you use up the inventory if you get into the first 5. But, this is confusing, if you already used up all the inventory but were allowed to take the slot to begin with, you can get back into the MP slot, even if you have no more planes, provided it was one of the first five. Ie you have 4 SU27's, 2 in inventory. Take the first two....try to take the third and you cant. Go back to slot one and you CAN. Kindda confusing, you need to witness it.

7. You can setup a supply route to a red WH from a blue WH, but it wont supply or request. If you flip the ownership, it will start working. That's pretty cool. And useful (see demo)!

8. The Operational level takes a little bit of understanding. Basically its the number the resources need to drop to, before it will begin requesting more resources. I tend to, for ease of use, set 99% as it will immediately start the ball rolling. Can be annoying if left at 10% and you have 9 planes, it wont request until it reaches 0 planes. Also noticed some bugs where it never does. Set to 91% and it will request one immediately on using one plane from 10.

9. You can tell WH is working from the F10 map > Airport > RESOURCES button on the WH concerned. There is a bug refreshing the data you select between, so close and reopen the resource page for the WH when picking an item type. What you are looking for is number/number (E:number). In the case of a 3 out of 5 Mirages with 2 on the way you see 3/5(E:2). If you see E:0 then none have been requested, either because the operational level is still inside of margin or there are no valid warehouses with resources that it needs.

10. WH's can't currently be moved in my testing. Using teleport they dont delete, but spawn a new one which will have no connections and thus broken. Needs to be proven but that's my findings thus far.

FAQ

Q: Can I use warehousing to block slots in Multiplayer? (ie captured airfields)

A: Yes absolutely. Set the inventory to be the max amount of slots you want at the airbase. Create the WH supply links as per normal. Set the WH (airport) to the opposite coalition. At mission start spawn and destroy the exact number of planes that are in inventory. This is important as you need to reduce the initial inventory to ZERO, else blue can spawn in a red airbase. On capturing that airfield, the WH will begin to be supplied by your coalition, which is kindda realistic. Then you can spawn again! (see the demo mission) To reverse this would require emptying the warehouse again and more on action triggers for capture with a switch.

Q: Can i setup multiple WH links for different things like ammo or a missile type?

A: Yes! It's very cool to do something like putting nukes in one warehouse and allowing them to be used and only storing one at the airbase. Creates Tactical objectives of real value. Simply take all the nukes away except two places, the spawning airfield set to 1 initial nuke. The WH, set to whatever number you like. Spawn and destroy a nuke at start as per the demo to reduce the inital resources but keep the total. Nukes are then on their way to be used... Same for any type of resource, eg smart munitions.

Q: WH chains?

A: Yes linking warehouses will give more tactical objectives. Break a supply chain and you crippled the enemies war effort! Have fuel, ammo, planes in multiple WH's and you have more strategy. WH chains work as expected but remember each needs an operational level % to be triggered and it needs a supply. It can request one further down the chain of course. You also need to mind speeds and period of trigger for checking it supplies in the right way.

Q: Moving warehouses closer?

A: No can do. Seems like these and farps can't but wouldn't that be cool, eh? Ask in the wishlist forum. And let's all wonder if it's on the way with those Grass airstrips, eh?

Q: Slotblocking in other ways?

A: [EDITED] The fantastic Ciribob has implemented this here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3098216

Q: Can I dynamically edit WH contents mid mission?

A: Don't know if that would work, please let me know. For missions and persistence of warehousing in multiple sessions check out Chromiums DAWS persistence mod, there's some more work to be done in this area, but remember, initial status are set in a flat mission file. It's then into memory and likely can't be manipulated easily. It's likely best to set resources in a chain, no resources at the start and let them build up from an infinite WH somewhere at the end. That way in between missions its a matter of resource flow speed, not pools.

Q: Why should I use warehousing in my missions, I don't need this?

A: Of course not, but here's why it's better to. For Strikers, it's all well and good, being given a target, but imagine if by destroying that target, you reduce the capability of the enemy in the mission? Stop him spawning his Su37's at one airbase so now only the Mig23's? Or hit the R27-ET factory? Doing it is one thing, seeing and feeling the effect, is entirely different and way more rewarding. Especially now we have the Viggen for interdiction and the Harrier on it's way. Runway bombing is somewhat limited in game and temporary. Sure this applies to longer and organised events but there are tools that save progress and no reason why extended sessions can't exist for JIP (Join in play).This is suitable for campaigns and Resource Management is the corner stone to strategic multi session play.

I hope you find this useful, let me know if you do and if you have some different or interesting use of the Resource Manager in game please share it here.

(note fuel supply doesn't seem to be working, at least under certain circumstances. There may be additional quirks/bugs and the actual behaviour may not be equal to the intended behaviour and may change over time)

WAREHOUSEBASECAPTUREDEMO.miz

Edited by Pikey
dynamic WH contents, benefits added, Grimes addendum, added SSB
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

It is, but Farps, Airbases and warehouses all have "warehouses" and are part of the Resource Manager system. It's just the airbase can't be destroyed as it has no single place to have a warehouse. But you can empty it and attach 3 static warehouses (fuel, ammo and planes) super close and have a much more cool airbase warehouse. or more. Or less.

Thank you so much for this. I was thinking the airbase IS the warehouse, but that is a separate thing. Neat.

OK cool. Another question.

I just made a mission with a bunch of planes taking off, taking missiles with them. Then, 16 Missiles of one kind was requested from the warehouse, I set the 'size' parameter to 1t. After a few minutes all the missing missiles were replaced.

Does this parameter affect only fuel or does it affect weapons too or something else?

I believe the weight applies to all three types. I am not sure how the RM divides up the possible things it can replace, thats a good question, but 100tons of fuel, or weapons or aircraft. Aircraft seem to be fairly light, not sur eif all the same. I think we can give it some slack on that! But interesting, especially if you use a bunch of different types of missiles, does it split these evenly? Or start with one, then move on to the next. I suspect its even.

Thanks very much for posting this. Very, very useful information for mission design :thumbup:

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Some extra information....Fuel resupply seems bugged for some reason. I've not quite defined the circumstances. For now keep it at infinite.

I tested some resupply rates with ammo. its super fast. AIrcraft moderately so. and Fuel, seems broken.

Wow, this is very useful! Great details...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Just to add a few comments to your points.

#2. Actually it can be exceeded, but only by aircraft adding resources into the system. If its 0 the resource will never be requested from warehouses. Aka base is setup to start with 50 AIM-120C, player takes off with 8x AIM-120C from another airbase and for some reason doesn't fire any, and lands at the other base. Player unloads the AIM-120C and now the base has 58 AIM-120C available.

#5 That has been reported as a bug for a while now. If the airbase runs out of parking the aircraft on the ramp *should* despawn. Good luck doing that at Nellis though.

Regarding warehouse chains it is not advisable to have two warehouses setup to supply each other with the same munitions. If both warehouses are requesting the same item then it will just infinitely loop transporting that item back and forth between the warehouses.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Will update the main post, thanks for the extra insights.

Just to add a few comments to your points.

#2. Actually it can be exceeded, but only by aircraft adding resources into the system. If its 0 the resource will never be requested from warehouses. Aka base is setup to start with 50 AIM-120C, player takes off with 8x AIM-120C from another airbase and for some reason doesn't fire any, and lands at the other base. Player unloads the AIM-120C and now the base has 58 AIM-120C available.

#5 That has been reported as a bug for a while now. If the airbase runs out of parking the aircraft on the ramp *should* despawn. Good luck doing that at Nellis though.

Regarding warehouse chains it is not advisable to have two warehouses setup to supply each other with the same munitions. If both warehouses are requesting the same item then it will just infinitely loop transporting that item back and forth between the warehouses.

Found something new. If you use a FARP as a warehouse it will cancel it's order if there are enemy ground forces inside of 2km. So effectively chaining WH's you can interupt a resupply before actually capturing the FARP. 2km seems to be the capture radius on Aerodromes. Of course capturing a FARP will stop resupply too. I think you need to be aware of this for testing.

• 2 months later...

Is there scripting support for adding/removing contents from warehouses?

Something like: every 30 minutes a logistics convoy spawns from one warehouse, and travels to another warehouse - if it gets there, munitions and airframes are added back warehouse. If they are destroyed, nothing happens.

Or: transport helos sling load cargo crates to another warehouse to resupply it.

Possible?

Developer of Kaukasus Insurgency - a customizable Dynamic PvE Campaign with cloud hosting and stats tracking. (Alpha)

http://kaukasusinsurgency.com/

Something like: every 30 minutes a logistics convoy spawns from one warehouse, and travels to another warehouse - if it gets there, munitions and airframes are added back warehouse. If they are destroyed, nothing happens.

Or: transport helos sling load cargo crates to another warehouse to resupply it.

Possible?

Nope. This is exactly what we need though. To be able to spawn and destroy warehouses and modify their contents directly from a script like:

warehouse = DCSWarehouse("Batumi WH")

warehouse.missiles.aim9p = 50

and so on. Having this we can start working towards BMS-esque dynamic campaigns and really fun multiplayer missions without having to jump through ridiculous hoops.

Well it works like that anyway in your first example) but the transport and resuply is hidden (although you get a notifcation via screen)

Crates aren't doing anything and because there isn't anything associated and no scripting interface , there is nothing we can do to the existing warehouse to make use of the new crate objects.

Best to use MOOSE cargo to develop so we can use it to spawn things, but again, the ammo and fuel is only available in the WH, so it's a hybrid effort to get everything.

Possible?

So I tried this out with a FARP, and nothing is working.

I have a Unlimited Warehouse (Beslan Airfield) with unlimited AC, Weapons and Fuel.

I have a FARP close by initialized with:

-12 Vihkrs

-4 Fuel Tanks

-80 Rockets

-100 Tons of each fuel type

-0 equipment

-4 KA50 Airframes

Each of the operating percentages are set to 51%

The resupply rate is 80km/h, every 5 minutes, with 100 Ton transport capacity.

Beslan is added as a supplier.

When I go in game, I rearm myself and take all the weapons and loadouts available until it's empty - it never resupplies. No notifications pop up, nothing.

Also, there's no way to identify the remaining fuel quantity at a farp - using fuel for resourcing is pointless if you can't explain to the player why they cant refuel (I was testing with smaller fuel quantity, all I got from ground crew was 'negative'). There should be a way to view the contents of a farp in game so that players can either check for themselves, or be told in some way that why they cant be refueled.

Attached miz file.

ResourceManagerFarpNotWorking.miz

Developer of Kaukasus Insurgency - a customizable Dynamic PvE Campaign with cloud hosting and stats tracking. (Alpha)

Of course, it's worse, if you attempt to take a plane and there are none in stock, you don't get an error message, all you get is sent to the F12 screen.

I have a Unlimited Warehouse (Beslan Airfield) with unlimited AC, Weapons and Fuel.

-12 Vihkrs

-4 Fuel Tanks

-80 Rockets

-0 equipment

-4 KA50 Airframes

When I go in game, I rearm myself and take all the weapons and loadouts available until it's empty - it never resupplies. No notifications pop up, nothing.

Also, there's no way to identify the remaining fuel quantity at a farp - using fuel for resourcing is pointless if you can't explain to the player why they cant refuel (I was testing with smaller fuel quantity, all I got from ground crew was 'negative'). There should be a way to view the contents of a farp in game so that players can either check for themselves, or be told in some way that why they cant be refueled.

Attached miz file.

In your mission you set Beslan to be neutral. To get supply working the airport must be of the same coalition.

-12 Vihkrs

-4 Fuel Tanks

-80 Rockets

-0 equipment

-4 KA50 Airframes

Attached miz file.

• 3 months later...

Is there some reason I'm able, as a plane on blue side in MP, to see a red base's supply levels by clicking on their base? Doesn't make sense that I'd have access to such info. A bug or is there some setting I don't know about?

i9 9900k - GTX 2080 Ti - MSI Z87 GD65 Mobo - 64GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 3200MHz - Win10 64 bit - TM Warthog w FSSB R3 mod - TrackIr 5.

Hard to say, the warehouse system hasn't really been modified much since it was implemented when FC3 came out. So the reason why you can still view enemy bases might simply be due to that feature being omitted in the first place.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

It's never been hidden afaik, it's also true that the contents are the same for both sides, which may put some colour there. To benefit from the knowledge you would be using it well, for sure, so this might highlight how much it's used.

• 4 weeks later...

any updates to this system, about to implement a supply demand system, prob to replenish things, send in ai in to land with the said weapons being replenished (like nuke), i wish they would hold on the planes and flesh this out better, even a direct edit to the warehouse tables or spawn static warehouse and link to x base would be fine for now, should be simple to give us these endpoints since we can already grab the static object anyway

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Developer of DDCS MP Engine, dynamicdcs.com

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=208608

I think it's one of those items that was implemented as 'cool idea, lets try it' but once people starting giving their feedback about needing more flexibility, it went on the back burner.

I ended up writing my own warehousing script (minus the ability to replenish ammunition) for my needs. Hopefully they'll give us a lua function to add ammo to a warehouse or airport/helipad, but for now I'm happy with just managing things like tanks and equipment.

• 2 years later...