WWII and Combined Arms

Veteran66

• 4 weeks later...

Could someone please explain to me how to get into a tank using normandy terrain.

I have assets pack installed and combined arms, but I do not see any training or

even a way to use any of the things I purchased, and its been months sense

I purchased this and doing a search for combined arms brings up everything

under the Sun except how to use tanks. I figure mission editor is the only way ?

Thanks someone.....

im not sure you can yet ct.... i think it is coming soon though

usually you would need combined arms installed and then go to your map.. at the map screen you would select the icon of the tank you want and then along the top bar would be another tank like icon to press and take control.

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

Could someone please explain to me how to get into a tank using normandy terrain.

I have assets pack installed and combined arms, but I do not see any training or

even a way to use any of the things I purchased, and its been months sense

I purchased this and doing a search for combined arms brings up everything

under the Sun except how to use tanks. I figure mission editor is the only way ?

Thanks someone.....

If you have Combined Arms installed, and you have the box that allows the player to drive for the particular tank that is placed in the mission checked and that tank is one that can be driven, then all you do is, after starting the mission in whatever plane you wish, go to the F10 map view, highlight the tank and the tank icon up on the tool bar above the map will illuminate and you will be in the tank when you hit the F1 key. There is no doubt more to it than that but that works for me. :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 months later...

Currently in 2.5 I cannot select "player can drive" for the WWII tanks. I have CA, Normandy map and WWII Assets pack installed, but I cannot drive the WWII tanks in any role. I can perfectly drive the modern tanks such as Abrams etc. So I guess not available yet?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Currently in 2.5 I cannot select "player can drive" for the WWII tanks. I have CA, Normandy map and WWII Assets pack installed, but I cannot drive the WWII tanks in any role. I can perfectly drive the modern tanks such as Abrams etc. So I guess not available yet?

Drive WW2 tanks has not available yet into CA. Require implementation of sights and drivers positions, the only vehicles available has some Flak and the 40 mm bofors.

It was possible just after release to drive the tanks. Now not anymore. No idea why they took it out.

• 1 month later...

It was taken out, because it was not ready for released as a feature, and had slipped through by mistake.

It will eventually be released as a feature IIRC.

Two more weeks? :huh: ... :(

I sometimes wish ED were the size of Mircosoft :noexpression:

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

In the last few days, there was a DCS update.

The announcement is here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/2018-06-08_WWIINews/

This is excellent and there were a lot of new features for WW2, including new units.

Some of these new units include:

• M12 gun motor carriage
  • M30 cargo carrier
  • M2A1/M3 halftrack
  • StuG IV
  • Sd.Kfz. 234/2 “Puma”
  • Sd.Kfz. 7 artillery tractor
  • Sd.Kfz. 251
  • Sd.Kfz. 2 Kettenkrad
  • Horch staff car
  • Barrage balloons
  • LCVP Higgins boats
  • UK soldier

I've marked some of them in blue. The reason is that these units have a feature that wasn't mentioned in the announcement...

... they are player-controllable using Combined Arms.

B7BFBB5E264F0AB8E2DFD1CDF01BF9D8D2F0F220

501A82B87D52FF40575F0B7A096E76E743B61DB7

5DA7D0E381390B8BCEF5A5C6C6DD8A7718403581

B699DC49EF59E48D07F0D18B8C793FC116B199D4

B90EE55F169F319F274D839A2DE05A7B8936A75A

3017BD5FC2514C0E5076A875D3E012E25AAF4FA2

7F9425894A1697A9160CA6C6D5ABC542CAAC5C04

0B787F3C7901B77118F479B0C51A2071C1B18294

Last night's WW2 training mission was all the more interesting for being able to drive a StuG IV out to a ridge and shell an Allied road-outpost on the coast road just north of Bayeux, as FW 190s roared in overhead.

I also noted that there was a command bunker, which could be "human controlled", with 3 machine-gun positions. I didn't check every unit, so perhaps there are more. And hopefully, there will be some conversions of some of the existing WW2 units to use DCS Combined Arms in future. It is certainly excellent to be able to control operations from the ground in an actual unit, rather than just monitoring the map.

Now, maybe there was a mention of WW2-Combined-Arms somewhere, but I certainly didn't see it. On the other hand, DCS have been very productive and rolling out a lot of new content, so I may have missed it. Still, I thought it was worth drawing it to everyone's attention.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
I think the first and foremost units that should be controllable via CA are common soldiers. That would be very cool, and we already have stinger-man controllable so it shouldnt be a big deal to implement.

Infantry does not duck, take cover or react in any other way to attacks, except from shooting. Some very basic AI behavior is missing. Oh and last time i checker they don't take splash damage from bombs.

• Like 1

Infantry does not duck, take cover or react in any other way to attacks, except from shooting. Some very basic AI behavior is missing. Oh and last time i checker they don't take splash damage from bombs.

What, you have to hit them on the head with the bomb?!?! :huh: I can barely hit a bridge :cry:

:D

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have any news about when we will be able to drive tigers shermans etc.?

My other question because I have just bought CA . Do you know if is there a way to get a crosshair or something to be able to aim properly like with the modern tanks or it is not impemented yet? I have tried the different views of the stug and have checked the control list but I haven't found such view yet. Maybe I missed it.

FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9 Dora, MiG-15bis , Mig-21bis, AJS-37 Viggen , M-2000C, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-14, Supercarrier, NTTR, Normandy+WW2 assets, Combined Arms, Persian Gulf

AMD Ryzen 2600x , ASUS Rog Strix B450-F, Corsair H100i, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3000MHz DDR4, MSI RTX 2070 8G, ASUS Xonar DSX, Samsung EVO 970 SSD , PSU - Corsair RM750, Headtracking - EDtracker Pro Wired, 58" Screen, TM Warthog, Windows 10 64bit Home

• 1 month later...

WW2-Combined-Arms - salivating - can't wait!

Huge potential still for WW2, flew the Spitfire last night on Burning Skies - it's a wonderful plane and Normandy is coming along well.

This marks the only good realistic high fidelity WW2 flight sim on the market, now it's just a matter of continual release of content.

The future is bright. Now we just need more DCS WW2 pilots joining the servers, as when that happens and other pilots see that grow it, more will come

One thing that would really help is some sort of 'WW2 package', buying just one AC, Normandy, and assets - the price point combined will scare people off (but if they were able to see how well the WW2 birds are, they wouldn't care... but that is a different point!)

WW2-Combined-Arms - salivating - can't wait!

Huge potential still for WW2, flew the Spitfire last night on Burning Skies - it's a wonderful plane and Normandy is coming along well.

This marks the only good realistic high fidelity WW2 flight sim on the market, now it's just a matter of continual release of content.

The future is bright. Now we just need more DCS WW2 pilots joining the servers, as when that happens and other pilots see that grow it, more will come

One thing that would really help is some sort of 'WW2 package', buying just one AC, Normandy, and assets - the price point combined will scare people off (but if they were able to see how well the WW2 birds are, they wouldn't care... but that is a different point!)

It’s not the only ww2 high fidelity sim out their. Dcs ww2 has a long way to catch up. That being said the quality of what is out is superb minus the many missing features

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

• 8 months later...

The sale is on and I'm looking into getting more involved on the ground level so I thought why not get CA, but I'd hate to get it only to discover that only a handful of units are controllable.

So how does CA look these days with the WW2 units ? Which ones can be controlled ?

So how does CA look these days with the WW2 units ? Which ones can be controlled ?

Like all ground units, you can move them around on the F10 map. So they are all "controllable" in that sense.

However, if you mean "which ones can be human driven from a first-person perspective?" then ... https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3524322&postcount=13

Yes, that post was a while ago, but nothing has changed. If you look at that post, you'll also see the interface to the units, which is pretty primative... esp. the StuG, which has no gun sights. So, the list is still...StuG IV

• Sd.Kfz. 7 artillery tractor
  • Sd.Kfz. 2 Kettenkrad
  • Horch staff car

Also, there is

• Fire Control Bunker (fortification)

But this is not something you drive... just man the machine guns.

There are no Allied units you can control from a first-person sense although, as mentioned, all ground units can be controlled from the F10 map. Also, I've just double checked all the above (in the Mission Editor as I type this).

Maybe when the new damage model is implemented, then they might go back to this, but at the moment, the WW2-assets/CA environment seems rather abandonned.

The sale is on and I'm looking into getting more involved on the ground level so I thought why not get CA, but I'd hate to get it only to discover that only a handful of units are controllable.

Use suntsags mod for that! As for now mods are the way to go in dcs ww2

Use suntsags mod for that! As for now mods are the way to go in dcs ww2

I see. It's good there's a mod that adds some compatibility, but if the devs can't be bothered to add that compatibility themselves then they're not seeing my money either.

BTW ED, it's disgraceful you sell your CA but choose not to inform people who are about to spend their hard earned money about what it is and isn't compatible with. One would then assume it's compatible with everything you have released. How would I know it's a half functional product if I hadn't asked the community here ?

As much as I like your sim, it shows how little you care about your customers.