How-to: Create net settings that fit YOUR connection!

THIS POST and THREAD IS OUTDATED, ED changed something and setting your net settings to ANY setting does not make ANY difference whatsoever. ****.

Hey guys,

I did not find anything similiar in the forum search and that's why I will show you guys a way to optimize DCS for your network so DCS will be using your network capabilities to it's fullest without overloading it.

let's take a look at net_types.lua in DCS World\Scripts\Net.

gettext = require("i_18n")
local function _(str) return gettext.translate(str) end

local kBit = 1024/8
local Modem = _("Modem")
local ADSL = _("ADSL")
local LAN = _("LAN")

return {
-- {name, download_speed, upload_speed}
-- add new network types after this line

[b]{Modem.." 56", [u]56*kBit, 32*kBit[/u]},
{ADSL.." 128", [u]128*kBit, 64*kBit[/u]},
{ADSL.." 256", [u]256*kBit, 128*kBit[/u]},
{ADSL.." 512", [u]512*kBit, 256*kBit[/u]},
{ADSL.." 1024", [u]1024*kBit, 256*kBit[/u]},
{ADSL.." Megas NET", [u]32000*kBit, 1900*kBit[/u]}, --my custom network setting
{LAN, [u]10240*kBit, 10240*kBit[/u]}[/b]

-- add new network types before this line
}, 3 -- index of default connection type

The bold text represents the settings we can choose in the Multiplayer Options. Also as UNDERLINED text we see that there are settings for connection "power". One for download and the 2nd one for upload capability of the network.

PROBLEM?

The highest setting before LAN represents a pretty old standart of connection and because of that when people joined my server they were loading the mission file very slowly and I suppose there were bottleneck issues with many units doing lots of stuff.

But hey, my connection can do much more than in that setting! Why not use "LAN" mode?

LAN mode makes DCS think I got a crazy ass connection and the amount of KB I send out to clients is waay to high. I can barely handle more than 3-5 clients with that setting. If you use LAN you are offering DCS much more ressources than your connection might handle.

THE SOLUTION?

I went to speedtest.net and did a connection test. Here are my results:

yklWJ.jpg

32 Mbit download and 2 Mbit upload. So it's 32000 kBit download and 2000 kBit upload.

This is all I needed, I copied and pasted a line in the net_types.lua, adjusted the name, the settings and I was done with the file. All I had to do now was to go to my multiplayer settings and SELECT the just created setting.

NOTE that my upload speed setting is about 5% less than my actual maximum upload speed. That is because I want to use VOIP tools in the background and I don't want DCS to hog my whole connection.

RESULT?

DCS now sends mission files to clients with 3x the speed that it did before, connection is way more stable, there is less warping and lagging when there are many units around and DCS never kills or overloads my connection because I told it EXACTLY what to use -> PROFIT!

I suggest to EVERYONE - set your connection settings to values that FIT YOUR CONNECTION!

A machine only runs perfectly in an environment with perfect settings FITTING the environment, so why not try to make it as perfect as possible?

I have no idea how this will affect "connection lost" or "connection interrupted" issues but I wanna let you guys know that I NEVER had issues with that.

Give it a try.

Thank you for your attention, I hope someone finds this interesting.

@MODS: I am not sure but I think this is a useful tip and I'd be happy about a sticky.

Edited by Megagoth1702
  • Like 9

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System specs:

2500k @ 4.6 GHz

8GB RAM

HD7950 OC'd

Win7 x64

Posting tracks to make your DCS better - attention bump incoming!

Looks really positive. If this works, you, my friend, could be the savior of MP. Will try immediately.

Nice one.

Edited by Kaiza
[url=http://www.aef-hq.com.au/aef4/forumdisplay.php?262-Digital-Combat-Simulator][SIGPIC]http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2500/a10161sqnsignitureedite.png[/SIGPIC][/url]

yklWJ.jpg

32 Mbit download and 2 Mbit upload. So it's 32000 kBit download and 2000 kBit upload.

This is all I needed, I copied and pasted a line in the net_types.lua, adjusted the name, the settings and I was done with the file. All I had to do now was to go to my multiplayer settings and SELECT the just created setting.

NOTE that my upload speed setting is about 5% less than my actual maximum upload speed. That is because I want to use VOIP tools in the background and I don't want DCS to hog my whole connection.

RESULT?

DCS now sends mission files to clients with 3x the speed that it did before, connection is way more stable, there is less warping and lagging when there are many units around and DCS never kills or overloads my connection because I told it EXACTLY what to use -> PROFIT!

I suggest to EVERYONE - set your connection settings to values that FIT YOUR CONNECTION!

A machine only runs perfectly in an environment with perfect settings FITTING the environment, so why not try to make it as perfect as possible?

I have no idea how this will affect "connection lost" or "connection interrupted" issues but I wanna let you guys know that I NEVER had issues with that.

Give it a try.

Thank you for your attention, I hope someone finds this interesting.

@MODS: I am not sure but I think this is a useful tip and I'd be happy about a sticky.

Nice find...could you post the copy/paste example you did...also...:thumbup:

[/Table]

Recruiting for Aerobatic Team/Fighter Group...

He did

Hey guys,

at net_types.lua in DCS World\Scripts\Net.

gettext = require("i_18n")
local function _(str) return gettext.translate(str) end

local kBit = 1024/8
local Modem = _("Modem")
local ADSL = _("ADSL")
local LAN = _("LAN")

return {
-- {name, download_speed, upload_speed}
-- add new network types after this line

[b]{Modem.." 56", [u]56*kBit, 32*kBit[/u]},
{ADSL.." 128", [u]128*kBit, 64*kBit[/u]},
{ADSL.." 256", [u]256*kBit, 128*kBit[/u]},
{ADSL.." 512", [u]512*kBit, 256*kBit[/u]},
{ADSL.." 1024", [u]1024*kBit, 256*kBit[/u]},
[color="Red"][size="5"]{ADSL.." Megas NET", [u]32000*kBit, 1900*kBit[/u]}, --my custom network setting[/size][/color]
{LAN, [u]10240*kBit, 10240*kBit[/u]}[/b]

-- add new network types before this line
}, 3 -- index of default connection type

Playing: F-16C

Intel i7-13700KF, 64GB DDR5 @5600MHz, RTX 4080 ZOTAC Trinity, WIN 11 64Bit Prof.

Squadron "Serious Uglies" / Discord-Server: https://discord.gg/2WccwBh

Ghost0815

Thank you very much Megagoth! Hope this tip helps, fowarding to my squadron right now.

We had this big problem for several months, shame on ED if the solution was so simple.

AKA TANGO-117. DCS Modules: ALL. I7 6700k @ 4.9 GHz / 32 GB DDR4 @ 3.2 GHz / 950 Pro m.2 + 4xSSDs / Gigabyte 1080TI 11 GB OC / 48" 4K Curved Samsung TV / TM Warthog Hotas / TM TPR rudder pedals / Track IR. Private pilot and sailplane pilot in RL.

For virtual aerobatic teams, this will be invaluable...thanks! :)

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Looking forward to seeing how this plays out! Unfortunately my upload speed is very close to what LAN is set to deliver so I'm not sure that will help on my end- definitely for the clients though!

There may be a chance it is taking too much of the connection (I'm 13mbps up) what with teamspeak running in the background. Might be worth throttling it down slightly?

Anyway make sure to post feedback! I'm linking this thread to my server thread in simhq!

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

Might be worth throttling it down slightly?

Gotta judge that yourself. :-/ I for example just reserve 10KB for Teamspeak n stuff.

It is a good practice though to set the setting either fitting right to your speed or just a bit below that. It just makes sense that way.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System specs:

2500k @ 4.6 GHz

8GB RAM

HD7950 OC'd

Win7 x64

Gotta judge that yourself. :-/ I for example just reserve 10KB for Teamspeak n stuff.

It is a good practice though to set the setting either fitting right to your speed or just a bit below that. It just makes sense that way.

Eno -

And add running TeamView to your resource requirements...

So I would say to dial it down a wee bit.

WC

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

I can do that! :)

I don't think it's the cause of our crashes (got that in another thread) but might be a result of our disconnects.

That's an easy modification-

Thing is do I need to create a new setting or can I just edit an old one? (Configure LAN to 9000kb up). Looks like he adds one. If the server is running LAN does it say something to the client that "this is what you should expect" and if it doesn't receive that then it's unstable?

Or is it all proprietary to the computer dishing out and receiving data the way it's configured?

I can see where being configured at LAN settings would get a person in the ballpark but wouldn't keep them there as the server starts sending out huge data that the connection can't keep up with on the client side.

This is a massive discovery! Can't wait to see it help us resolve our issues!!!!!

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

Those numbers usually bump around depending on the site you ping. I get 29 down and 23 up on speedtest.net but different numbers on speakeasy.net. Your hardware should throttle the speed automatically when serving. This accommodates the different speeds of each client.

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

BTW I hosted a session today, simple dragons weapon training, I had 5 clients on, 50KB/s went out, no lag or warp or whatever. :-/

Just keep testing guys...

What I wanna see:

Have all people on LAN, connect to a mission that usually warps around a bit... Then let all the clients set their net stuff to THEIR personal setting, then try again.

I have no idea what that will do and I also dont have the people to do it but it would be very interesting to see what happens.

If warping and lagging is still there my "fix" does not do anything.

I also think there is a big difference in how the game handles LAN and ADSL settings... I mean if you look at the variables - LAN and ADSL are different! So maybe in LAN mode the client & server expect a super low ping? And if that is not given -> warping?

So much to test...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System specs:

2500k @ 4.6 GHz

8GB RAM

HD7950 OC'd

Win7 x64

Well, we need to do some serious investigations here.

In MA we had to switch everyone to LAN in order to remove all the warping if we are +12 players on the same airfield. Even though we had LAN last thursday, we still had slight warping issues. I don't remember the upload of the host atm. But i believe he was on a 100/10 connection.

I will record the network usage this thursday when i host another session on my 100/100 connection.

i7 8700K | GTX 1080 Ti | 32GB RAM | 500GB M.2 SSD | TIR5 w/ Trackclip Pro | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder

[sigpic]http://www.132virtualwing.org[/sigpic]