MiG-29 AFCS (aka Autopilot) "Tutorial"

Ironhand

Just a quick note to let folks know that I've uploaded a new "tutorial" on the Automatic Flight Control System to my YT channel. Not as polished as I'd prefer but it covers the high points of the AFCS:

Hope some folks will find it helpful.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Thanks a lot, I really love the MiG-29 and learning about it :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

:) Thanks, folks. Glad you found it helpful.

Most helpful. Got one question though; in the key commands for autopilot, there is the "autopilot" A key or as you've mentioned the reset the "damper" mode command. The other one you mention here is the "autopilot reset" mode and I can't remember the key commands but one does see both in the autopilot section of the controls menu.

I have both mapped to my HOTAS. I'm confused a bit as to when to use each one. If I I'm using the autopilot for level flight let's say and I want to cancel that, do I use the "autopilot reset" button or the "damper reset" button to give me back command of the airplane?

Perhaps I need to re-watch the video but those two things have confused me as I've begun learning the system.

Most helpful. Got one question though; in the key commands for autopilot, there is the "autopilot" A key or as you've mentioned the reset the "damper" mode command. The other one you mention here is the "autopilot reset" mode and I can't remember the key commands but one does see both in the autopilot section of the controls menu.

I have both mapped to my HOTAS. I'm confused a bit as to when to use each one. If I I'm using the autopilot for level flight let's say and I want to cancel that, do I use the "autopilot reset" button or the "damper reset" button to give me back command of the airplane?

Perhaps I need to re-watch the video but those two things have confused me as I've begun learning the system.

"A" simply turns on Damper mode, if you've disengaged it using the LAlt+9 key (by holding that combo down for 3+ seconds).

Autopilot Reset is LAlt+9 (simply pressed once and not held down). That disengages the current mode completely.

If you want to keep the mode engaged but modify it--steepen or lessen a bank or pitch angle, change the altitude you want to hold, etc--use LShift+A. You press and hold it to temporarily override the current mode, make your adjustment, and release it. The system then commands the new orientation.

Edited by Ironhand

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

So I remapped those buttons discussed and with the knowledge from this thread I tried out the Mig-29 autopilot again and it worked beautifully. It is actually quite useful, helpful now that I know how it works and how to use it. Thanks again @Ironhand.

Great! And the various modes can be helpful from time to time.

_____

Great! And the various modes can be helpful from time to time.

I totally rely on the Att Hold mode, for pretty much everything. I wonder if RL MiG-29 pilots use it constantly as well.

Side note: To me, it seems as if the MiG-29's AFCS system feels a lot more mature than its Su-27 counterpart in DCS. Do others feel the same?

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I totally rely on the Att Hold mode, for pretty much everything. I wonder if RL MiG-29 pilots use it constantly as well.

Side note: To me, it seems as if the MiG-29's AFCS system feels a lot more mature than its Su-27 counterpart in DCS. Do others feel the same?

Not sure it’s more refined. In making the “tutorial”, the attitude and baro altitude hold felt the same as the Flanker. Those are normally the only two modes I use, anyway. I may feel differently once the two missing modes are introduced.

_____

Thank you so much for this video!!

Coming from the Sukhois, I was losing my mind as to why altitude hold wasn't working! Now I know I have to use attitude hold first!

New VR Simpit: Intel 10700K, MSI Seahawk X 1080Ti (waiting for 3080Ti or 3090), 32 GB 3600MHz RAM, HP Reverb, TM Warthog

Old VR Simpit: Intel 4790K, Asus Matrix 780Ti, 16GB RAM, HTC Vive

Thank you so much for this video!!

Coming from the Sukhois, I was losing my mind as to why altitude hold wasn't working! Now I know I have to use attitude hold first!

:) Glad you found it helpful. Enjoy.

_____

• 7 months later...

Thank you for tutorial.

Is there anyone on this thread who uses the MSFFB2 joystick? AFCS MiG-29 does not work with it (maybe just for me). When AFCS is activated, for example, “[LAlt - 4] - Stabilization”, the stick starts to move in various directions, but does not stabilize the flight.

The same about other AFCS modes, maybe excluding the "Damper" mode, seems to work correctly (I don't know how to check it). Can anybody help?

• 3 months later...
Very useful tutorial, autopilot was driving me nuts. Now I understand how it works and where to look. Thanks a lot.

:) You're quite welcome. Glad it helped.

_____