Roadway landing and takeoff

pulf

Why are there videos early access of people taking off and landing on roadways? It seems to be something specific to this aircraft as far as I can tell... Can anyone provide some Insight or is it just coincidence?

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

In Sweden they practice landing and taking off on road incase of war with Russia and the airfields are taken out. They can base from a road in a forest etc...

Look up videos on youtube. There are a bunch of them with jets taking off and landing from the roads.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is indeed something specific for the Viggen (other countries are using it aswell with other planes, i have seen a video of F18 from Finland landing on normal roads).

Here you can see how it works, the take off starts at around the 2:18 marker

Very cool!

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Swedish air base doctrine during the cold war revolved around dispersing aircraft over many bases and having backup runways available (such as road bases). It was first concieved in the '50s as "Bas 60" and later developed into "Bas 90" during the '80s.

In most cases the runways on the dispersed bases were actual runways, just short ones (800 meters, usually). The one you see in the video linked above is one of those. Having many bases and runways was just half of the dispersion system though, the other half was dispersing the aircraft within the base and there the public road system came in very handy. A base in the "bas 90" system typically had two or three of those 800m runways, where one or maybe two might be a stretch of public road, but it also had dozens of kilometers of "taxiways" that were just regular roads, and something like 40 or 50 aircraft parking spots with several hundred meters between them, for a base intended to house a single squadron (nominally 16 aircraft).

There were also a lot of road stretches that were built with use as emergency runways in mind, but they were usually not prepared for flight operations in peacetime and might have required some work before ops could start (such as cutting down trees on the approaches, removing road signs and ensuring clearance on both sides of the runway, etc).