Question Before I Buy

This would be my first WWII aircraft. I took a quick look at the user made missions and there is not all that many available. So my suspicion is that the majority of people fly the 109 multi-player??

If that's the case is there a suggested MP server for novice flyers where I can learn and still have fun as opposed to getting smoked every couple of seconds?

Cheers!

Win 10 64-bit, Intel Core i7-7700k@4.2GHz, MSI 1080Ti , 16 GB, 500GB SSD, LG 34UM95, Acer T232HL, TrackIR 5 Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

I believe you will find that most WWII aircraft are lacking in the Single-Player missions category. With the upcoming Normandy expansion (late May) I expect you will see the number of missions increase exponentially. The 109 is one of my favorite aircraft to just fly around in as it has a true "stick and rudder" type of feeling.

For online, I have flew on a few servers celebrating WWII aircraft and all seem to welcome both in-experienced as well as experienced. One chat from you asking for a bit of assistance will be helped right along (that is my bet at least).

~Thump.

Computer Specs:

i7-6700K@4.00GHz, 32GB, 850 EVO 1TB, GTX 1080 Ti, Samsung Odyssey VR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

^ This.

Single player content has always been almost non-existent for DCS warbirds, because there were just no assets available to create combat scenarios which made any sense. It's most likely to change a lot with upcoming '44 map and units, however.

You might still buy it now though, just for the sake of learning the peculiarities of prop-plane flight model, which comes with a set of challenges unknown to jet-heads :D (the -109 is somewhat more difficult to fly than TF-51D, which You already own in Your DCS).

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 2 weeks later...

Going to borrow the OP's thread:

Thinking of getting the K as my next module, however I don't want to pay full price for it. I enjoy the FM mechanics and sometimes fly (and die) on the multiplayer servers with the Allied Warbirds and would like to try one of the Axis birds.

My question is, will the K ever go on sale? I have not seen it on sales, like for example they did with the Spit recently.

Before you start flaming me how I should shut my trap and just pony up the money (like I did with the Pony! HA!), I don't feel any of the WWII modules are worth full price at the moment. There is very little content you get with them, apart from the plane itself and the nice flight model (in varying degrees of completion). This might or might not change with the release of Normandy, however that is a big IF, and will require further $$$ DLC cash purchases most probably.

• Like 1

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

The 109 is one of my favorite aircraft to just fly around in as it has a true "stick and rudder" type of feeling.

True true

There is very little content you get with them

Are you serious? There is a P-51D campaign in the e-shop fables...

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

...Are you serious? There is a P-51D campaign in the e-shop fables...

Yes, but as I understood the point was about the content shipped with the module and in case of the warbirds and in terms of the campaigns it is rather slim.

The stock campaign is more of an extended, practical tutorial. It's still worth to fly and it is good that it's included but it's far from the level from other campaigns. As for the MP servers, most of them are dogfight servers - which probably steams from the lack of assests from the era.

By the way, is the P-51D DLC campaign an interesting one?

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Yes, but as I understood the point was about the content shipped with the module and in case of the warbirds and in terms of the campaigns it is rather slim.

The stock campaign is more of an extended, practical tutorial. It's still worth to fly and it is good that it's included but it's far from the level from other campaigns. As for the MP servers, most of them are dogfight servers - which probably steams from the lack of assests from the era.

By the way, is the P-51D DLC campaign an interesting one?

I dont know havent tried it, even though I purchased it. I cant comment. But, remeber, we did not have an appropriate map for the era warbirds and I think there is more campaigns on the way for these modules so its a matter of waiting.

We just need to give devs more time thats all. There are plenty of user created missions and for the messer my favourite is hot chocolate.

Plus maple flag will be creating content so were properly covered.

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

My question is, will the K ever go on sale? I have not seen it on sales, like for example they did with the Spit recently.

It has been on sales, Ive bought all ww2 aircraft at sale price ... the only exception being the spitfire, which i purchased at 20% discount on pre-release.

You just have to wait a bit :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I'd say now is definitely the time to buy WW2 modules. With Normandy around the corner, there will be a huge influx of missions. The asset pack will bring lots more possibilities - including decent bomber intercept missions given that there will be better AI bomber formation code in the works. Buying now will give you time to get to grips with the Kurfurst, and get you battle ready for the end of May. It does take a little time to master the techniques for both getting it airborne and landing it, and for getting the best out of it in dogfights.

I'd say now is definitely the time to buy WW2 modules. With Normandy around the corner, there will be a huge influx of missions. The asset pack will bring lots more possibilities - including decent bomber intercept missions given that there will be better AI bomber formation code in the works. Buying now will give you time to get to grips with the Kurfurst, and get you battle ready for the end of May. It does take a little time to master the techniques for both getting it airborne and landing it, and for getting the best out of it in dogfights.

I concur. I simply cant wait to shoot those bombers down while getting sandwiched by the spitfires and the mustangs

I agree that the modules seem expensive. I'm an old guy living on an SS check and it doesn't stretch far these days. However, let's not forget we got DCS World for free. So, we already started one big module ahead.

Just consider the first module you buy as a payment for DCS world.

It's still cheap in the long run. I got involved with iRacing and spent $800 before I finally quit it. The sad part is we don't get to keep any of it unless we continue to pay. The biggest ripoff ever.

Buzz

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

Well I caved. Bought the "K" today. Quite a beastie I must say. Can't wait to take it online :)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Well I caved. Bought the "K" today. Quite a beastie I must say. Can't wait to take it online :)

You should have waited a sale :) ... anyway, may I suggest this playlist by Bunyap ... I learned a lot from it:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Hello,

Really? ... I hadn't give them any attention because they were multiplayer missions ... so I can play them in solitaire? ... I will try them out, thanks a lot :)

You should have waited a sale :) ... anyway, may I suggest this playlist by Bunyap ... I learned a lot from it:

Yeah Im busy watching that one currently. Already took it up a couple of times online, though without much success. Need to get to grips on flying it right, and I gotta say my TrackIR is acting all weird in it and giving me the most trouble. I have it setup perfectly in the Spit, so I don't know what Im doing wrong.

There are a few options regarding cockpit camera positions for the 109 thats maybe related to that, can anyone clarify what that is about and which I should choose?

Also, any other videos for proprer coordinated flying in the 109 would be much appreciated. She is a tough one to get to grips with initially. Doesn't fly nearly as nice and tame as the Spit, though thats probably a lot to do with pilot error. :smilewink:

Since gunsight in 109 is off-center, there are three cam options to choose from for guys, who are bothered by that. "Cruise" position puts Your virtual head in line with the fuselage (You have to lean right to aim through the sight), "gunsight" position gives You permanent scoliosis and puts Your head off center as well :D (You always see through the sight), default is somewhere in between If I recall correctly.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Naw, the third option is auto. This is imho the best option and switches the view according to if you have the gunsight up or folded down. The TrackIR for me sometimes gets stuck "below" the gunsight somehow, is that your problem as well? I havent had this in other planes.

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

Naw, the third option is auto. This is imho the best option and switches the view according to if you have the gunsight up or folded down. The TrackIR for me sometimes gets stuck "below" the gunsight somehow, is that your problem as well? I havent had this in other planes.

Thanks for the reply, will try auto. In my case the view sometimes gets stuck on the top metal "plate" above the pilot's headrest.