My A-10C preparation

rocketeer

Hi Shawn, great work and progress.

With things like toggle guards, radio flap, etc it's always a bit more involved to implement so dcs knows their position. Is the lever for the extend boarding ladder cover, one which in turn touches a button or is the lever a switch in itself

I think putting a picture of a static radio frequency is better than having a white rectangle in its place. I take it you'll do the same for your UHF radio.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9mw03x3zjelkuspc.JPG

Craig, it's this switch. I just camouflaged it black. Since it's just a lever itself it does not need to press another button. i also used this for the air refuel control lever and canopy disengage lever, well, a pair, for each of those.

I actually borrowed your idea of adding a small push button to the back of the toggle guard after watching your youtube video. :thumbup:

I have still yet to digest your latest video on instrument gauges and RS485 solution. Amazing work and extremely good craftsmanship. not to mention neat and tidy. CNC machines gives it such a factory quality feel to it. my work in comparison looks sloppy and crappy.

For the extend ladder cover, when opened it is a light and soft flip so it does not have enough push to press down a push button. So I elected to use this tiny lever instead because any gentle press by the back of the cover will cause a click.

You are right about adding static display to the UHF too. Already done that but didn't upload picture. :music_whistling:

dik3q652qgnvuwp5.JPG

now my radio stack looks more complete.

t9ckkwmidz81jtad.JPG

With all the rage for building F18 cockpit now we're still building the A10 that came out like 10 years ago. :D

Well i need to finish what i started. still love the A10, though the F18 being fighter and attack, and carrier landing etc. makes it very cool.

• 5 months later...

vbyijec2e8kzi0yh.png

Got a pair of Normally Closed magnetic window contacts for 85 cents.

Put the magnet under the cover

60zasrz5wk0gobwl.png

Put the switch with wire on the outside

w4slfbmm0su25eo4.png

Run DCS Bios. When you flip the cover open, the two pieces meet and in the sim the cover opens.

Works very consistently. Thanks Craig for the tip.

In the past I tried using a reed switch with a strong magnet. Result was very intermittent.

for the two panels on the left console with the switch guard, putting a small push button behind didn't work well. Any slight moment the cover opens in the sim as it think the cover has been flipped.

I changed to using a ON-OFF-MOM toggle. The cover when closed push the MOM side down. When opened, it goes to OFF position, causing cover in the sim to open. Beautiful.

for the two panels on the left console with the switch guard, putting a small push button behind didn't work well. Any slight moment the cover opens in the sim as it think the cover has been flipped.

I changed to using a ON-OFF-MOM toggle. The cover when closed push the MOM side down. When opened, it goes to OFF position, causing cover in the sim to open. Beautiful.

Sweet glad it worked for you

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

vb4czw15qxd41oui.JPG

The push buttons on the TISL are the same type on the CMSP, square buttons with round body, easy to drill hole for. But the buttons are still too small. Again I stuck 3/4" acylic squares on them seem to be the perfect size.

Then add a bunch of cheap push buttons ($4+ for 10 pcs) and you get a circuit breaker panel. :music_whistling:

ivjhjk6tocktk568.JPG

very nice! great work

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Front dash done.

vk5n78dcmg5kkxnw.JPG

All gauges are just printed paper with acrylic for reflection.

Except for TISL and Circuit Breaker panels, all other panels and switches are wired and working via two Arduino Megas for the front dash.

Feels good to be able to press every switch in the game directly instead of the mouse.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This dcs bios code for the emergency trim hat is for a rotary switch.

const byte efcpEmerTrimPins[5] = {PIN_0, PIN_1, PIN_2, PIN_3, PIN_4};

DcsBios::SwitchMultiPos efcpEmerTrim("EFCP_EMER_TRIM", efcpEmerTrimPins, 5);

Using the code above, it gets stuck in one position, does not move back to the center.

I am using this one from digikey. it's more like 4 sets of push buttons.

https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/apem-inc/500-526/679-2289-ND/2063280

i can't find any code for 4 sets of push button for this switch via google.

how did you guys get it to work?

Hi rocketeer,

I used the method GSS Rain/Joe Sim used in this YT

Diagram is seen 5m51s

iHyaaaB.png

It's a NAND chip that basically send the fifth pin if none of the others are active. It might be that it's easier to re-write the DCS-BIOS code but I found this working and haven't looked back.

Credit for the solution is GSS Rain/Joe Sim :thumbup:

Cheers

Hans

This Auxiliary Landing Gear Handle. I've always thought it is a push button and just for show and non functional. Shows that I don't know the aircraft well. Spent much more time building than flying it.

Now I learned that there are two parts. From DCS Bios documentation.

Auxiliary Landing Gear Handle Lock Button

DcsBios::Switch2Pos auxGearLock("AUX_GEAR_LOCK", PIN);

Auxiliary Landing Gear Handle

DcsBios::Switch2Pos auxGear("AUX_GEAR", PIN);

So when the main landing gear handle fails to bring the gear down or up, we are to use this one.

From trying it on the ground so far, not in the air, I observed the following:

1. push pin down to unlock gear handle

2. pull aux gear handle

3. after landing gear comes down or up, push aux gear handle back in

4. pin pops up, gear handle becomes locked

Without pushing pin you can't pull the aux gear handle as it is locked.

I can build the aux gear handle on rod and a push pull switch.

I can make the pin with a latched push button, not the momentary type.

And with dcs bios both gear handle and the unlock pin will function accordingly.

But I can't make the physical pin lock the gear handle in real life.

This needs to function like a car door-push a pin to lock or unlock, mechanically, not a powered door lock to complicate things.

Anyone tried something like this?

At minimum I can build the gear handle and pin separately via the push pull switch and latched push button, with the latter locking the former.