What is the difference between srs and UniversRadio?

BlacleyCole

Some squads use SRS while others use UniversRadio plus the later Works with lotatc. What are the differences between the two other than coding. Iirc one tries to resemble real life radio comms I’m not sure if both of them do.

What are the major differences between the two apps that work similar?

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

At this point there is very little functional difference between the two programs.

As you've noted, UR is natively integrated with LotATC but aside from that both model terrain interference, transmission distance by radio type, and incorporate voice filters and squelch effects as well as encryption on supported airframes.

Both have clickable GUIs for FC3 aircraft but UR's are modeled in the style of the aircraft you're flying.

I believe the only thing that SRS doesnt do is simulate interference if people step on each other.

Trunks fee. I know srs I free to use a ur has licensing is that why srs s more popular?

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

At this point there is very little functional difference between the two programs.

As you've noted, UR is natively integrated with LotATC but aside from that both model terrain interference, transmission distance by radio type, and incorporate voice filters and squelch effects as well as encryption on supported airframes.

Both have clickable GUIs for FC3 aircraft but UR's are modeled in the style of the aircraft you're flying.

I believe the only thing that SRS doesnt do is simulate interference if people step on each other.

Universal Radio seem to be a good option

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

UR has a lot of extra features, that are all listed on the website.

It has an external radio that is used by our JTAC players, integration with LotATC for our ATC players, it has a Transponder (IFF) feature, Voice Service for ATIS (yes, we can tune to a frequency and get the ATIS message via voice before taxi), it has a DataLink feature (we dont use it as many of our pilots fly in VR and afaik that is not compatible then since you need to export your mfd) and also an Emergency radio that detects when you bail out and then gives you radio functionality to talk to CSAR units.

Im pretty sure most of those functions are not of much use for most players/groups, but for us in the 132nd it is the radio program of choice.

Support by the developer is absolutely excellent and the one time cost of the license is absolutely worth it for us.

@BC yeah, I think the price tag, small as it may be, is a major factor in peoples' decision to use SRS.

Ciribob has been doing an awesome job adding features to SRS, and I'm not disparaging it by any means, but UR is a bit more mature and has a lot more bells and whistles. I agree 100% with Entropy, the extra little bits and bobs don't have a ton of use on your average public server, but they really add to the types of missions we run in my group.

Universal Radio is dependent on teamspeak to function but Simple Radio works stand alone and has it’s own server. UR also require changes to teamspeak that makes it vulnerable to message spamming. That will most lightly not be a problem on small teamspeak servers but a huge problem on large servers.

The Team Speak as an integration is quite a subtle differentiator. UR filters TS when you are in cockpit. If you aren't in cockpit you hear everyone talking in the channel. This brings a different workflow for groups that fly together because they can brief in one channel then do not have to configure comms to then get Voice setup.

Or in short, UR offers a capability to use TS normally or with it filtering based on it's connection to the game. That's quite handy, since it's often done to talk on comms but you aren't always in game.

SRS probably doesn't need this being a public designed self contained comms system.

Functionally the only thing I'd like in SRS is the crosstalk noise when two people are talking. Perhaps some kind of lobby service, but i'm nitpicking. Not used the IFF yet, tested the lotatc integration a couple of years back and there's much changed. ATIS is a nice feature, or to be exact message play looping on a freq.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Thanks guys I forgot about the extras for ur.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

UR has a lot of extra features, that are all listed on the website.

It has an external radio that is used by our JTAC players, integration with LotATC for our ATC players, it has a Transponder (IFF) feature, Voice Service for ATIS (yes, we can tune to a frequency and get the ATIS message via voice before taxi), it has a DataLink feature (we dont use it as many of our pilots fly in VR and afaik that is not compatible then since you need to export your mfd) and also an Emergency radio that detects when you bail out and then gives you radio functionality to talk to CSAR units.

Im pretty sure most of those functions are not of much use for most players/groups, but for us in the 132nd it is the radio program of choice.

Support by the developer is absolutely excellent and the one time cost of the license is absolutely worth it for us.

Last time I tested was with teamspeak plugins or so. Still this situation?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]