Nosewheel Steering - Sensitivity slider special options?

Schwarzfeld

If you're tipping over you're indeed taxiing too fast. I use 30 curvature on my TPR and that's perfectly fine for sensitivity.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Not sure what the problem is, but landing the Viper appears to have the same problem as the P-51D had when it was first released. Takeoffs were, as with reality, difficult because of the Merlin's huge amount of torque. But landing should have been much easier. In the first few weeks, the poor P-51 would do its best to kill you if it ever touched planet earth after flying. Later, it got fixed and landing is now much more realistic.

I am ASSUMING.... ahem.... that the same goes for the Viper. Yes, you CAN land without incident, but just one little thing that just ain't quite right and the Viper commits suicide, taking you with it. :joystick:

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

Honestly on the ground the viper seems to have like no friction at all. It glides around at idle with no effort.

Just like a real thing, while literally all the other DCS modules are held back by some magick sticky thing that you need to overcome with too much of thrust. The Harrier is said to start rolling by just releasing the wheel brakes at 29% idle RPM - as opposed in DCS since the last change you need over 60% RPM to get going. But that's just the extreme example.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Honestly on the ground the viper seems to have like no friction at all. It glides around at idle with no effort.

A clean viper should be able to taxi at idle. That’s realistic.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

I am ASSUMING.... ahem.... that the same goes for the Viper. Yes, you CAN land without incident, but just one little thing that just ain't quite right and the Viper commits suicide, taking you with it. :joystick:

Never botched a single landing in the 16 and I've been flying her daily since early access release day. She's really easy on the pilot.

What exactly are you referring to that goes wrong when you're landing her?

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

As Wags mentions in his vid, landing the F-16 is really different from the F-18. I struggled a couple of times with AOA and proper flare for a two wheel touchdown. Didn’t crash, but it wasn’t pretty. Getting the hang of it now. Mainly practice and getting to know the plane (again for me).

i9 11900KF, RTX 3090 24GB G DDR6X, 1TB SSD, 64GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3400MHz, Reverb G2.

Make all NWS (sharp) turns 10 knots or 5 knots heavily-loaded. It's a sports car in the air but a wheelbarrow on the ground. Gear is stiff and narrow. Be slow and patient.

The real rudder pedals are force-sensing just like the stick and pressure for full input is quite high. It's expected that the light spring forces on consumer hardware may result in over control.

There's not much a simulator can do because rudder input to steering output is fixed relative to rudder output. It's not possible to change the relative wheel vs. rudder response for a given pedal input and still be an F-16 simulator.

The real rudder pedals are force-sensing just like the stick and pressure for full input is quite high. It's expected that the light spring forces on consumer hardware may result in over control..

Oh that’s interesting! So they don’t move just like the stick? I notice the rudder pedals in the cockpit look rather odd when they move.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Make all NWS (sharp) turns 10 knots or 5 knots heavily-loaded. It's a sports car in the air but a wheelbarrow on the ground. Gear is stiff and narrow. Be slow and patient.

The real rudder pedals are force-sensing just like the stick and pressure for full input is quite high. It's expected that the light spring forces on consumer hardware may result in over control.

There's not much a simulator can do because rudder input to steering output is fixed relative to rudder output. It's not possible to change the relative wheel vs. rudder response for a given pedal input and still be an F-16 simulator.

Sorry, but pedals are not force sensing.

-Edit- least i cant find any info about force sensing, only force to required to move em.

Edited by Haukka81
edit 2
  • Like 1

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry, but pedals are not force sensing...least i cant find any info about force sensing, only force to required to move em.

AFAIK they only 'move' 1/2 inch. Breakout force is 15lbs and max is 100lbs.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

Then they have funny modeling as they turn in cockpit like 30cm either direction when you use pedals.

Difference is that the pedals do not have a twisting so they would stay parallel to each others but it's like one bar that you turn. So when you push pedal forward by 30 degree, then the braking pedal is as well 30 degree to your feet.

It is like designed as bicycle control bar with brake handles.

But it is way too sensitive. It acts like a F-18 steering at high, for carrier deck turns.

My problem is that in landings I can only control aircraft yawn with rudder, until touch down when the authority of rudder lowers quickly by speed. Then comes critical time when I do not have rudder authority almost at all, and braking with left or right pedal does nothing really, but braking with both does start to slow down.

Only way to steer F-16 is to use NWS all after flaring and letting nose wheel touch down at 95-100 knots (IIRC) and it is extremely sensitive all the time. Wouldn't use it for anything else than parking if wheel brakes would be effective to make turns even when taxiing.

Only way really to taxii, control landing and take-off is to use NWS, until the rudder gets enough air speed.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Only way really to taxii, control landing and take-off is to use NWS, until the rudder gets enough air speed.

That's the correct way :)

Btw, 100kts for NWS is way too fast IMO.

I've already reported the wrong rudder pedal animation in the bug section.

Edited by bbrz

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

Oh that’s interesting! So they don’t move just like the stick? I notice the rudder pedals in the cockpit look rather odd when they move.

They move a small amount but the sensor that reports pilot input is a force transducer like the stick. There is no cable or other mechanical linkage.

Never botched a single landing in the 16 and I've been flying her daily since early access release day. She's really easy on the pilot.

I had to laugh at that one, I too felt, wow this is really easy to land, I must be getting pretty good, - then I realized there was no damage model!