DCS WWII: Europe 1944 - Unofficial Promotional Trailer

Bucic

Yes, Mystic did a FANTASTIC job on this! Should be on the kickstarter page as an official video!

i5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix ram / Zotac AMP! 980Ti / 2 x 250 SSDs

Flight Controls:Virpil VPC MoogoosT-50 / MFG Crosswinds / GVL Throttle / Oculus Rift CV1

Mysticpuma is a famous WW2 sim moviemaker. If the links are not dead you can see more of his (BoB2) works here http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=55318

Back on topic. Yes, the video is well done and was needed. To me, personally... it reminded me that DCS graphics are >a generation< behind Il-2 CoD when it comes to photorealism and in this regard the DCS platform doesn't do the project any good. Of course the project wouldn't happen if not DCS, as RRG wouldn't afford building the new sim from the ground up.

BTW, I've visited ATAG forums, the home of the Il-2 CoD Team Fusion constantly improving the CoD, and what I saw was nothing but enthusiasm towards the project. At least it was my first impression.

MP - Bravo as usual! Wonderfully done and great choice of music. I can't even imagine the amount of hours I've spent playing sims made by these guys.

I can't wait for this project!

@Bucic - If you've pledged over $40 don't forget to get signed up to win arguably the best rudder pedals ever made.

See here: http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5635

Great job Puma!

Man how much more refined is the damage model in clod.

NZXT-Phantom820; Gigabyte Aorus x570 Master:Ryzen 3950x Corsair H150i;AORUS GTX 1080 Ti 11G; 32GB(2x16)G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz(16-16-16-36); Aorus PCIe Gen4 m.2 NMVe 2TB SSD;Samsung EvoPlusM.2NMVe 1TB SSD;Crucial M4 128GB SSD+Crucial M4 256GB SSD: Coolermaster 1200W psu; CH Fighterstick+CH Pro pedals+Saitek X45

Win10 64bit

Nice details, but colors and especially sky looks really flat. Hopefully this is not the engine but a matter of artistic direction!

MAC

It is the engine. DCS sky is distinguished... Unless the engine gets completely redone in terms of lighting and color, not just tweaked, we will be witnessing an awkward situation where the new sim looks worse than its 3 y.o. predecessor. Graphics hasn't been a strong side of ED for years and while lack of resources is understandable the lack of acknowledgment and >will to pursue photorealism instead of eye-candy< is not. And this will backfire nicely on ED and, as collateral, on the whole DCS ecosystem.

It's rather clear is that at the time of release and throughout 2014, when compared to Il-2 cod, the project will be lacking in terms of graphics, damage modeling and AI. Hence what I'd like to see is some word on whether RRG is going to do some (even if DCS WWII exclusive!) work in these areas.

It is the engine. DCS sky is distinguished... Unless the engine gets completely redone in terms of lighting and color, not just tweaked, we will be witnessing an awkward situation where the new sim looks worse than its 3 y.o. predecessor. Graphics hasn't been a strong side of ED for years and while lack of resources is understandable the lack of acknowledgment and >will to pursue photorealism instead of eye-candy< is not. And this will backfire nicely on ED and, as collateral, on the whole DCS ecosystem.

It's rather clear is that at the time of release and throughout 2014, when compared to Il-2 cod, the project will be lacking in terms of graphics, damage modeling and AI. Hence what I'd like to see is some word on whether RRG is going to do some (even if DCS WWII exclusive!) work in these areas.

What makes you so sure...? We're talking about the new IG? I noticed you've been campaigning for graphical changes in DCS for a long time, I agree if we're talking the present engine, but do we know enough about EDGE yet?

Anyway, the technology for photorealistic flying environments would certainly be here. Example below.

MAC

Excellent video! That's what the Kickstarter needed from the beginning. No offence but the official videos haven't been all that inspiring. More machinima was definately needed. Though that one is possible only because it's unofficial as 1C would kick their ass if it wasn't.

More machinima was definately needed.

That's an interesting thought. There's just one open question, then we're all set: How do you want to create a machinima of content that is not yet in existence? :)

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

What makes you so sure...? We're talking about the new IG? I noticed you've been campaigning for graphical changes in DCS for a long time, I agree if we're talking the present engine, but do we know enough about EDGE yet?

Anyway, the technology for photorealistic flying environments would certainly be here. Example below.

MAC

[ ]tbs0myDheaM[/YOUTUBE]

the lack of acknowledgment and >will to pursue photorealism instead of eye-candy<

No technology is going to help if this doesn't change.

Was the recent footage the new IG? It would seem so. I've been told recently that 'EDGE is the IG' and the vids supposedly present EDGE. Can it be just 'the fault of outdated art asset or shader'? Sure it could. I'm just saying that based of what we've seen throughout the years up to this day hoping for pro-photorealism in DCS would be the pinnacle of wishful thinking. So please don't throw 'this is what happens when devs post WIP footage, you ungrateful piece of pumpernickel' at me, please.

[...]

You might find a different approach helpful, then. Or how well has pointing fingers actually worked those last six years? With any community you ever tried...

Just a thought...

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

So please don't throw 'this is what happens when devs post WIP footage, you ungrateful piece of pumpernickel' at me, please.

Certainly not my intention at all. On the contrary, completely agree that presently the graphics are the Achilles' heel of DCS. Also, I haven't been too impressed with this aspect in the WIP pictures of EDGE, but I'm still giving it the benefit of doubt that this is nowhere finished and I'm hoping that there's much more and better to come.

On the other hand, for me it's hard to conceive how big parts of the community are reacting with 'Ohh', 'Amazing', 'Gorgeous' and the like to these early shots. This may send the wrong signals to devs, as can happen in closed systems.

MAC

• Like 1

This may send the wrong signals to devs, as can happen in closed systems.

This is one of the potential effects. The other is, and I had also this in mind raising the issue, that people not familiar with DCS may expect be it graphics or the damage model to be at least on the CoD level, while the reality is both will be as they are in the core DCS at the time of release with not much that RRG could do about it.

Edited by Bucic

This is one of the potential effects. The other is, and I had also this in mind raising the issue, that people not familiar with DCS may expect be it graphics or the damage model to be at least on the CoD level, while the reality is both will be as they are in the core DCS at the time of release with nothing much that RRG could do about it.

Currently DCS graphics is not at the level of CLOD, as you 've pointed out. However, this has a lot to do with the terrain and not the cockpits or aircraft (which are superb in my opinion). EDGE photos of normandy look a lot more like CLOD, so hopefully DCS WWII will be up to the same level, graphicswise. The DM is actually superior than CLOD at the internal modelling level, but suffers at the visual damage effects (along with other effects like gunfire, explosions, etc). IIRC, Yo-Yo acknowledged this last fact a few months ago and we can only be optimistic that it will be improved.

• Like 1

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time.