Did the Mustang got the new merlin sounds as the Spitfire?

Eviscerador

Hello,

in my opinion the newest Mustang Sound update is not a good Choice:cry:

It sounds like a P40 with Allison Engine...

I used this Sound mod the whole Time:https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3068422/

For me the best Soundmod.

Hello,

in my opinion the newest Mustang Sound update is not a good Choice:cry:

It sounds like a P40 with Allison Engine...

I used this Sound mod the whole Time:https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3068422/

For me the best Soundmod.

I believe the sound samples are the best, except for the sounds from the front.

I personally though find the new default sounds fairly good, however. My biggest gripe with it now is the backfire sounds. Jafa seems to have better backfire sound samples, aesthetically anyways.

Edited by Magic Zach

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

I also find the new sounds fantastic, though the engine too loud in the cockpit

at high revs.

I tied to reduce the volume of what I thought were the corresponding .ogg files inside of

\DCS World\Sounds\Effects\Aircrafts\Engines\PackardMerlinProp\Cockpit

but to no avail. Anybody can help me out?

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

I also find the new sounds fantastic, though the engine too loud in the cockpit

at high revs.

I tied to reduce the volume of what I thought were the corresponding .ogg files inside of

\DCS World\Sounds\Effects\Aircrafts\Engines\PackardMerlinProp\Cockpit

but to no avail. Anybody can help me out?

In sounds, there is a folder full of LUAs. They are placed and named to match the sound samples. Find the one corresponding to the one you want, then open it and lower the gain

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

In sounds, there is a folder full of LUAs. They are placed and named to match the sound samples. Find the one corresponding to the one you want, then open it and lower the gain

Hi, thanks, you surely mean

\DCS World\Sounds\Sounders

The only one I found full of luas.. but no mention of P-51 there...

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

Hi, thanks, you surely mean

\DCS World\Sounds\Sounders

The only one I found full of luas.. but no mention of P-51 there...

I can't recall the exact locations, but dig around! It'll be full of LUAs that copy the file structure and name of the folders with the actual sounds. Might be in sounds, maybe mods or Coremods, not sure

I have simple solution, turn down sound level in game options

Thanks, I have thought of that, but still the engine is in my opinion too loud.

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

Zach, I know what you mean, but it's .sdef and not .lua where playback parameters are hidden.

Thanks, I have thought of that, but still the engine is in my opinion too loud.

I don't remember files locations either, but I don't have to, because I can use someone else's work as a reference.

Download Jafa's mod mentioned above:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3068422/

... and look at its folder structure to find out where all Mustang samples and their corresponding .sdef files are located. Then you can go to the game folder, find the locations you need and adjust "gain" parameter in chosen .sdef files to increase or decrease volume (they're text files so use Notepad++ or its equivalent to edit them).

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Zach, I know what you mean, but it's .sdef and not .lua where playback parameters are hidden.

I don't remember files locations either, but I don't have to, because I can use someone else's work as a reference.

Download Jafa's mod mentioned above:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3068422/

... and look at its folder structure to find out where all Mustang samples and their corresponding .sdef files are located. Then you can go to the game folder, find the locations you need and adjust "gain" parameter in chosen .sdef files to increase or decrease volume (they're text files so use Notepad++ or its equivalent to edit them).

Well thanks, but that mod is useless now. The locations changed in the last DCS version. In the meantime I have found it myself. The loud engine noises of the P-51 are in:

\DCS World\Sounds\Effects\Aircrafts\Engines\V_1650_7\Cockpit

I have found out it deleting temporarily all the files inside, and the cockpit turned silent,

then restored the files, and lowered the volume.

VERY ODDLY enough the Spitfire files are not in \Sounds but in :

\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\SpitfireLFMkIX\Sounds\Effects\Aircrafts\SpitfireLFMkIX\Cockpit

Here we have it again: the folder structure of DCS is utterly absurd.

I remember another SIM (I do not mention the name otherwise this post will be deleted), in wich the folder structure was \Aircrafts\Planexxx\Sounds\Textures\Model\etc.

That made very easy to apply mods, textures or update.

No wonder it takes so long for ED to update and / or change things.......

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

Well thanks, but that mod is useless now. The locations changed in the last DCS version. In the meantime I have found it myself. The loud engine noises of the P-51 are in:

\DCS World\Sounds\Effects\Aircrafts\Engines\V_1650_7\Cockpit

I have found out it deleting temporarily all the files inside, and the cockpit turned silent,

then restored the files, and lowered the volume.

VERY ODDLY enough the Spitfire files are not in \Sounds but in :

\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\SpitfireLFMkIX\Sounds\Effects\Aircrafts\SpitfireLFMkIX\Cockpit

Here we have it again: the folder structure of DCS is utterly absurd.

I remember another SIM (I do not mention the name otherwise this post will be deleted), in wich the folder structure was \Aircrafts\Planexxx\Sounds\Textures\Model\etc.

That made very easy to apply mods, textures or update.

No wonder it takes so long for ED to update and / or change things.......

The Mustang was one of the first modules to DCS, meanwhile the Spitfire was only a handful of years ago. In that time between there was some reorganizing, and the Mustang got forgotten

• 2 weeks later...

Currently playing the Charnwood campaign with the Blue Bastards of Bodney on the waiting line.

The new updated cockpit/model + new sounds + upgraded Normandy map is given the old mustang a new life. I'm loving it to bits. 2019 has been a great year for the mustang.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

Yes the new sounds are much better than before. Would it be very difficult for you guys to develope a new system for flyby sounds so you can use real recorded flybys. Would have to be a way to have it figure out your speed so to match the length of the flyby sound. Just asking. The flybys now are not bad at all but would be better with the real thing. Been under a p51 passing in a kind of low altitude and got to say that sound made a scar in my soul.

Outstanding! Now the P-51 feels like a real warbird! I noticed that it's not only the engine sounds that were updated, but other misc items, like the canopy open/ close sound? I may be wrong though. Anyhow, the Mustang got the sound it deserved and the immersion doubled. Thank you!

If only we could have the 109 updated too :)

For the 109 there's a mod.

:thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...
Mustang and Spit sound got even better with 2.5.6
I haven't noticed anything. I've also been away for a while. What specifically is different?

I haven't noticed anything. I've also been away for a while. What specifically is different?

Mustang got improvements at low power and low rpm while taxing idling, warming up,

Internal cockpit sound got some additional sounds,

And the sound when you sit behind p-51 isn't distorted any more and i think max power fly by sound get better too

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Having not flown for a while I have come back to the p51 and noticed a massive improvement in sounds. These new sounds are pretty much perfect. Well done team!!!

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

• 3 weeks later...

Helo there.

I would like to thanks btd -sound engineer - for very good job.

Still there is a lot to do with the closing to reality.

Is there any chance to get more dynamic sound without this flatted-compresed samples in the future?

As a sample-comparison of what I mean this video made by two different cameras. Even on them sound is more living-non compressed-a lot of beautiful peaks etc.

Edited by 303_HOLY