German Bombers

Hi

I would love to be able to leap into my spitfire fast takeoff and shoot down a formation of German bombers; can this be done? I cant seem to find any German bombers to create a mission with?

Any advice please?

Thanks

Neal

Desktop PC:

Intel i7 14700K, MSI Z790 MAG Tomahawk MOBO, 64Gb RAM , GPU Nvidia RTX 3080ti

Windows 11, VPC joystick, Crosswind rudder peddles, HP Reverb G2, VPC Collective, DOF Reality H2, Gametrix seat, WinWing panels.

1. There are no German bomber aircraft in DCS

2. An AI Ju88 is planned for some time...this should be a 1943 or 44 variant

3. The Germans were not really fielding formations of Bombers in western Europe by mid 1944. You might want to find a game set in 1940-1941 for that

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

Damn, have to stick to mud churning and FW190 instead. Thanks for the reply. Love your videos by the way, very informative!

Desktop PC:

Intel i7 14700K, MSI Z790 MAG Tomahawk MOBO, 64Gb RAM , GPU Nvidia RTX 3080ti

Windows 11, VPC joystick, Crosswind rudder peddles, HP Reverb G2, VPC Collective, DOF Reality H2, Gametrix seat, WinWing panels.

Using mods is a great way to set up some "Adler Tag" style scenarios. The He 111 that has been suggested is a great idea.

There is a Ju 88 bomber planned as an AI unit for DCS. It is currently in development, although there has been no progress mentioned for some time. REF

Once this AI unit is implemented, you could certainly do some German bomber formation missions.

The Normandy Map does cover part of the area of Unternehmen Steinbock - a German bomber offensive against Britain in early 1944. Although the operation was largely ineffective, it did include some large raids with Ju 88s (e.g. Feb 1944 REF).

There were several squadrons operating Ju 88s at the time of D-Day, either in that area (e.g. KG6) or further afield and flying in. This would make it feasible to attack smaller groups of AI units in a DCS context.

Two Gruppen from KG54 flew Ju 88s to attack between Ouistreham and Lion-sur-Mer (where the British Sword sector began). I cannot find the total number of aircraft for the different squadrons taking part, but 3./KG54 lost 2 Ju 88s during that mission and III./KG lost 3 of 7 aircraft. So, that's at least a flight of nine in that raid, but probably more. Between 6-10 June 1944, I./KG54 lost 13 x Ju 88s and III./KG54 lost 10 x Ju 88s.

2./ZG1 also operated Ju 88s, although these were type Ju 88 C-6. On D-Day, this squadron lost 5 x Ju 88s while flying on an offensive mission north of Caen.

Of course there were lots of Ju 88s in operation during that time, some lone and some in small groups. E.g. RNZAF No.485 Sqn shot down a Ju 88 on D-day itself. And the ship FDT216 was torpedoed just off the coast from Sword Beaches by a Ju 88 on 07-Jul-1944.

Also, for anyone who can read French, I have attached two snippets from the following two references:

1. Méal, X., "La Luftwaffe au face Débarquement", l'Aviacion.

2. Ehrengardt, C-J., "Operation Overlord".

ju88-dday-1.jpg.73eee2d9eedb9971b9f4dd7150743153.jpg

ju88-dday-2.jpg.1f0980096a21c1ed839abe139059098d.jpg

Thanks to Markindel, Stonehouse, crazyeddie and me, we have ai bombers!

The HE-111 already mentioned and many more.

A few Italian types as well.

These are NOT the same as you find on the user download page.

In almost every case, Stonehouse has spent considerable time on the FM, aircraft specs and bombing code.

Eddie supplied many liveries.

Markindel the original aircraft.

Credit goes to these guys.

There are two parts to get all the aircraft.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=188263&highlight=ai+bombers

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=188287&highlight=ai+bombers

Please note, I have not tested these in 2.5.

And The B-29 has been up-dated by me since these posts were made.

Hope this helps......

Until ED provides better......

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

• 1 month later...

Hello Hawkeye,

Thank you for providing us with these nice planes! The Stuka works perfectly. The Ju-88 was available only once when I wanted to make a mission with the Mission Editor, and now the Editor apparently cannot find it anymore. However, the mission still works fine when started directly, so not via the Mission Editor.The He-111 shows up in the Mission Editor, but is nowhere to be found when flying the mission. I did not try out the other planes yet.

I have version 2.5, which I know you haven’t tested. But do you have an idea what could be the problem with the planes not working properly?

Thanks,

Stickshaker

Edited by Stickshaker

I have used the Ju87, He111 and the Ju88 in 2.5.3 and they all work perfectly. Thanks to Hawkeye and his group for all the great mods they gave made. You guys have expanded the possibilities of this sim that the developers might want to look at. If you guys could do these apparently so easily why do they have such problems.

Edited by 352ndDeacon

If you guys could do these apparently do easily why do they have such problems.

My questions also.

I'd rather have a larger set of basic period aircraft in the meantime, than wait for god-knows-how-long for the developer to release something. . .

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/