Mustang after 2.2.

Solty

Hey guys, after the latest patch there were some nice and not so nice changes.

The good:

-I really like the new .50cal sounds and effects. Internal sounds are quite satisfying and I like the new tracers. I wish there was more light and less white trail but it makes shooting experience much better.

-The new lighting makes the cockpit dials quite vivid and easier to read.

- I like the new engine sound, makes it feel more powerful without moving the volume up and 3fd person flyby sound is just awesome.

The bad:

-With the new lighting reflections on the glass became overwhelming and make spotting very hard and it becomes overwhelming when maneuvering to get the target. It is very over the top.

- with the new lighting the cannopy glass became very green and also makes spotting harder especially over ground.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

Hey guys, after the latest patch there were some nice and not so nice changes.

The good:

-I really like the new .50cal sounds and effects. Internal sounds are quite satisfying and I like the new tracers. I wish there was more light and less white trail but it makes shooting experience much better.

-The new lighting makes the cockpit dials quite vivid and easier to read.

- I like the new engine sound, makes it feel more powerful without moving the volume up and 3fd person flyby sound is just awesome.

The bad:

-With the new lighting reflections on the glass became overwhelming and make spotting very hard and it becomes overwhelming when maneuvering to get the target. It is very over the top.

- with the new lighting the cannopy glass became very green and also makes spotting harder especially over ground.

Same observations. Those sounds are awesome :)

The cockpit has two issues regarding lightning and reflections, not sure it's necessary to report them as they must be well-known:

- the old static reflections on the glass should be removed, they're really distracting when moving the head around, they even blur the front view,

- the floor is illuminated, and also the parts that are against the sun, as if the fuselage was translucent.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

Same observations. Those sounds are awesome :)

The cockpit has two issues regarding lightning and reflections, not sure it's necessary to report them as they must be well-known:

- the old static reflections on the glass should be removed, they're really distracting when moving the head around, they even blur the front view,

- the floor is illuminated, and also the parts that are against the sun, as if the fuselage was translucent.

The second point is valid for all aircraft I've tried in 2.2 so far. In the Spit it's much worse.

The sounds though...they are fantastic! It's amazing how much a good set of sounds can improve the simming experience. My hats off to whoever worked on this. Sound in DCS has always been lagging behind the rest of the sim, prop planes sounded so-so, but now I really feel those horse powers!

Mine looks way worse and those reflections are realy visible when changing lighting conditions during rolls and during vertical loops.

CEFBA756FD7B408E60D3007D63479A31F9024CC7

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

Yes, that's correct, the same seems to be true for other modules as well.

I've also noticed that the reflection from the ground (I think, it's green-ish) is only calculated every n frames. So this reflection switches regularly, like it used to do in 2.0 in NTTR on some planes. This is really not good and I'd rather not have reflection at all, let's hope it'll pass at some point.

This is especially noticeable on the two lateral windows at the front of the cockpit, but also visible on the other ones depending on the angle.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

New tracers? Are they more visible than before? If so, got a good screenshot or video so I can see? I can't get on DCS until Saturday, which sucks.

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

New tracers? Are they more visible than before? If so, got a good screenshot or video so I can see? I can't get on DCS until Saturday, which sucks.

Here are a couple, but it's hard to capture and they don't do it justice. It's a very nice effect!

Screen_171211_114353.thumb.jpg.2dac4efc7cec9ab54e2ec8a04401b96e.jpg

Screen_171211_114356.thumb.jpg.cc0e26d7ea781008a1f0476599cd65ff.jpg

Isn't the brightly lit-up cockpit from having deferred shading active?

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Most YT vids in cockpit seem to show reflections can be quite strong in many cases.

The problem is, however, in our planes they're now visible in all ALL the cases :D.

We're supposed to be switching to DS & PBR to get rid of baked reflections for good and replace them with proper, dynamic ones.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

You could change the Roughmet maps of the cockpit, if you can (I can't; no tutorial, no classes). But that might void the integrity check. But I agree, from all the screenshots, the cockpit looks too bright.

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Isn't the brightly lit-up cockpit from having deferred shading active?

Yes, to be honest I have no idea how to set it up to get the best rendering. I know in the past this used to mess with the colours.

With the latest version 2.2, if I don't use deferred shading there seems to have some effects I can't see, like those nice tracers, but the colours seem more realistic and the sun is quite blinding where it's just a yellow circle with DS.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that with DS on, the livery was not exactly the same. :huh:

I know, I should search in all the threads where there were discussions about that but it's tedious and I gave up long ago. I'll worry about it when 2.5 is there.

I will have to try no differed shading. It’s un playable at the moment, as if trying to keep an eye on that little dot wasn’t already tough enough. Now the view is just obscured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tried it with no differed shading. It’s still god awful!

Anyone trying goofing with the Roughmets yet? Might not pass Integrity Check, but worth a shot.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
Tried it with no differed shading. It’s still god awful!

I think "god awful" is a little harsh, I spent some time in the Spitfire tonight, looked pretty decent to me, was a bit on the bright side, maybe a gamma adjustment needed, can use the slider if ED feels it is where it needs to be, but does seem a little bright. Reflections dont seem that strong to me, compared to the real thing anyways.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Looks awesome to me in VR. I moved the gamma to the left (all the way) and I think it's generally OK but sometimes when the sun is coming in from a side I think the gauges are too dark. Maybe DCS simulates pupil dilation like some other titles do when scenes change their light level? If so maybe that just needs tuning? I don't know but it looks pretty good to me. Not quite perfect/done I'd think but good so far :)

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

I think "god awful" is a little harsh, I spent some time in the Spitfire tonight, looked pretty decent to me, was a bit on the bright side, maybe a gamma adjustment needed, can use the slider if ED feels it is where it needs to be, but does seem a little bright. Reflections dont seem that strong to me, compared to the real thing anyways.

Try the P-51 then. This is the P-51 thread. Those painted on reflections are visible in all lighting conditions, it realy looks bad.

I had this problem in an earlier version of 2.1. Horrible glare. Turned off Deferred Shading and activated HDR. Works fine for me. Try it.

Its not about the glare its about the dials and internal parts visible on the cockpit glass that obscure the outside world.

Edited by Solty

My channel:

I had this problem in an earlier version of 2.1. Horrible glare. Turned off Deferred Shading and activated HDR. Works fine for me. Try it.

I will have to try no differed shading. It’s un playable at the moment, as if trying to keep an eye on that little dot wasn’t already tough enough. Now the view is just obscured.

I'm confused. When I tested it on the latest version,

- with deferred shading: cockpit too bright, more visual effects (tracers), better fuselage rendering, no sun glare

- with no deferred shading: cockpit fine, less visual effects, fuselage rendering fine but plainer (not entirely sure about that last one), sun glare

But Campbell says it's "awful" and "obscured"? with no DS (what is bad/how is it obscured?), and SiThSpAwN says it's too bright with no DS.

Does it come from other settings as well? That's the only one I changed between the two tests, gamma didn't change.

EDIT: providing some shots to make sure that's what the others see

4 first screenshots : WITH deferred shading (name is *_DS.jpg), on 4_DS you can see the tracers :)

4 next screenshots and last one for settings: WITHOUT deferred shading (*_no_DS.jpg), and HDR on, on 3_no_DS you can see the sun glare

1_DS.thumb.jpg.8eea130a8a21496f0970931edcb376f6.jpg

2_DS.thumb.jpg.6d867191dc3c51d1d9577939f84fe885.jpg

3_DS.thumb.jpg.03da4697a9016ddd407bf551df28c38f.jpg

4_DS.thumb.jpg.aecbe31e313c6bd0a382ee5c8041d166.jpg

1_no_DS.thumb.jpg.19e6265e4daeaff04ac7f582cf0b7f74.jpg

2_no_DS.thumb.jpg.f7aa464b34a20d163c0e46bffd4aad15.jpg

3_no_DS.thumb.jpg.9058147053dd66bb22dd13d84926775d.jpg

4_no_DS.thumb.jpg.6aa66a358dcd2f3d29f334e1c0059900.jpg

settings_no_DS.thumb.jpg.d791cd5caf921bd3ba1fd9becb01dd3c.jpg

Edited by Redglyph

My “god awful” comment is in regards to the instrument reflection on the canopy. You have to dog fight in the P51 to see the effect. The reflection is so intense that I can nearly fly on instruments just by looking at the canopy. It’s very distracting and simply obscures the outside visual. I get that there maybe reflections and glare in a real aircraft. However, there’s also things pilots wear to alleviate the glare such as sun glasses/ helmet visors. It almost looks like I’m flying while looking through two different layers of cockpit.