HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

I put an 1/4" thick rectangle of hard aluminum alloy across the flat side of the connector. I put some electrical tape first, then the aluminum, and then more tape. It is absolutely unmovable now.

I am using the desktop in VR for this post.

Thinking more like this... I am just hoping that this thing keeps working. It took hours for issues to start on the first one.

809re1x.png

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

This is certainly not my experience with the Reverb. As a CV1 owner I can confirm that the 3D effect of the Reverb is no different from the Rift. In fact, if anything the 3D effect of Reverb is improved because of the amazing clarity and ability to make out distant objects.

Ok - first flight so to speak on Reverb #2.

1. The new Reverb works perfectly but then so did Reverb #1 for quite a while. Only time will tell. I think I will stabilize the connector with supports on each side and black electrical tape so it is like a cast and can't ever move. The USB plug does seem tighter (the first one moved up and down somewhat) in the PC port but I supported it anyways.

2. SteamVR Settings for video are completely changed with the various updates. To me it looks like WMR/SteamVR was not coded for the Reverb specifically before but now it is. See image below.

3. Clarity is spectacular. I will say there is a slight improvement in clarity but it was already so clear to begin with. A 10% improvement as was suggested for the 1903 fix seems reasonable. (I will try an eye chart test) To me looking at the main menu in DCS is just like looking at the monitor now in VR (also looking at the desktop in the cliff house is the same deal - very clear and no SDE. There was also a tiny bit of shimmer on the left wall in the cliff house when you first appeared there and now it is gone. Obviously, they improved some things but I think that is more WMR and SteamVR than a headset change). Flying the F-18 in Free Flight I am noticing that there is virtually no shimmer at all now but there was only a little before. I may try MSAA off instead of 2X in DCS with this slight change. I will check the carrier deck first. I changed no settings other than the resolution below in SteamVR. FPS is similar. I am still seeing 45 FPS reported by DCS with reprojection on (so you are always seeing 90 FPS). I will do some testing with it off.

4. SteamVR - I had it originally at 180%-188% to get it close to 2160 x 2160. Now it recommends 106% which gives it 2592 x 2536. Go figure. (I will try to lower it to 2160 x 2160 to see if there is any effect on performance and quality/clarity) I know that the headset only receives the native 2160 x 2160 with each frame to minimize processing according to how SteamVR used to be so I have a project to figure out what is happening between WMR, SteamVR, and DCS in terms of how it works by gathering some current info from the vendors. I just have not seen a good comprehensive write-up yet. Plus with so many updates it appears things have changed.

5. This baby really rocks in DCS! I hope it stays that way. :smilewink:

I guess the Standard Reverb has a bit different label than the Professional. The only noticeable difference between the two is the material on the face pad and missing the backpack cable. Both feel the same (cloth vs leatherette). Very comfortable. I loosened the straps way up right away and the fit is perfect with glasses. I tried it four separate times now and it always stays at 90 Hz so far. HP told me Steam was making a lot changes for the Reverb. I know the that passthrough camera is still not yet implemented in SteamVR but HP and the Reverb supports it. (It is in the Index but Valve developed/owns Steam) That may be a good reason to move away from SteamVR.

kSMvDn9.jpg

Great stuff. I just finished downloading the latest incarnation of 1903, but being almost midnight here and having a beer or two, I shall refrain from trying it out.

Reverb is great, but is no way on earth to be compared with beer goggles. Beer goggles can shrink a whale to the proportions of a Polynesian beauty.

Reverb cannot manage that, no matter how much you experiment with IPD.

:D

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Too funny - I think It is about beer time...

Ok it appears what I read on Reddit about SteamVR from about a year ago is still true. I wish some other Reverb owner would confirm this. These Fresnel lenses are distorted and without some adjustment the center would be larger than the peripheral so SteamVR is making adjustments to eliminate that distortion. Because of this what I see happening and I am not even drinking yet today is that the resolution change in SteamVR is increasing the clarity of the periphery.

To test I kicked the resolution down to 80% which is right near 2160 x 2160. The center is very clear and doesn't change but the edges blur out quickly. Then I put the resolution back up to the recommended 106% and Voila - most of the display is pretty darn clear but the center area really hasn't changed. Am I hallucinating? (actually, I let me wife try it and she confirmed it but she may just be agreeing with me. lol)

I wish someone else would try it and let us know. I tried the DCS main menu and also filled the display with the desktop (outside of DCS) and got the same results. Thanks.

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

Hey Secoda,

Which version of Windows 10 are you running on your rig? SteamVR just updated today, and I don't have the same suggested graphics settings as you do with your new Reverb. Interesting findings on the clarity of the entire display being affected by supersampling. I'll have to try that next, because I was starting to get frustrated with how quickly that clarity fades outside the center. I'll see if it gets better with higher SS. When I was doing my comparisons, I was just staring at the text on the CMSP, with it in the dead center of my view.

Tried the weather stripping idea today to get the lenses further away from my eyes, and it worked like a champ. No more seeing the edges of the lenses, and the focus is sharp in the center of my view. It went on pretty easily, and I now have a semi-permanent solution that didn't void my warranty.

Be sure to check the torque of the screws on your new Reverb's phones. HP doesn't get them very tight, and you'll end up with increasingly intermittent sound as time goes by. I tightened mine today and the sound is solid now.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Windows 10 Home

Version: 1903

Build: 18362.239

5/27/2019

Updates: Up To Date!

SteamVR

Built Jun 28, 2019 at 17:55

Version 1.5.16 (1561762502)

Hey Secoda,

Which version of Windows 10 are you running on your rig? SteamVR just updated today, and I don't have the same suggested graphics settings as you do with your new Reverb. Interesting findings on the clarity of the entire display being affected by supersampling. I'll have to try that next, because I was starting to get frustrated with how quickly that clarity fades outside the center. I'll see if it gets better with higher SS. When I was doing my comparisons, I was just staring at the text on the CMSP, with it in the dead center of my view.

Tried the weather stripping idea today to get the lenses further away from my eyes, and it worked like a champ. No more seeing the edges of the lenses, and the focus is sharp in the center of my view. It went on pretty easily, and I now have a semi-permanent solution that didn't void my warranty.

Be sure to check the torque of the screws on your new Reverb's phones. HP doesn't get them very tight, and you'll end up with increasingly intermittent sound as time goes by. I tightened mine today and the sound is solid now.

Edited by Secoda

Can someone tell me how much the Reverb Pro package weighs please?

I'd love to buy one from Australia but there seems to be a large successful conspiracy by HP to avoid not only selling me one but also to inform me as to if that might ever be a possibility.

I'm going to see if I can get one from the States or perhaps Hong Kong, not sure if they're even selling them there yet.

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

Is anyone running one on anything less than a 2080 or 1080 and getting acceptable framerates and clarity?

This is what has made me discount getting one, as I'm happy to continue using CV1 for roomscale games.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Can someone tell me how much the Reverb Pro package weighs please?

I'd love to buy one from Australia but there seems to be a large successful conspiracy by HP to avoid not only selling me one but also to inform me as to if that might ever be a possibility.

I'm going to see if I can get one from the States or perhaps Hong Kong, not sure if they're even selling them there yet.

As shipped from HP, the package is 9 pounds actual weight, 13 pounds dimensional weight (20" X 18" X 7").

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Well I just tried out my NTTR test mission with Reverb and the new 1903 patch.

What can I say other than :pilotfly:

2.5 hour mission, not one rogue USB disconnect, not one tracking glitch, not one black screen, CtD or stutter. Tracking is better than Rift ever was as that used to glitch every now and then.

Tomcat cockpit looks pretty much the same, maybe a little clearer, but nothing I can shout about; but external details seem much sharper. sharper as in flying over Tonopah Test Airfield at 39000ft in moonlight, in the F14, looking down and seeing all the tiny aircraft shelters on the apron standing out sharply in 3D and with their own moon shadows.

Never ever seen that level of detail on the ground from so high before.

The whole shebang seems much more dialled in and more solid than before.

So it appears I have spent the thick end of £1400 on upgrades yesterday, to cure the annoying tracking glitches and USB issues for nothing; as I became convinced they were motherboard related after crossing from Rift to Reverb.

Now it seems the windows patch fixed it hours after I ordered the stuff.

Always maintain I am not lucky in life. Still, looking on the bright side, I am looking forward to the new build. :)

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

You might have to down sample a bit but can likely make it work acceptably. They say in regular (non VR) benchmarks it is only about a 5 FPS drop from a plain 1080. Make sure you can return it for 30 days wherever you buy it just in case you don't like it.

RTX 2060 w/ HP Reverb

Is anyone running one on anything less than a 2080 or 1080 and getting acceptable framerates and clarity?

This is what has made me discount getting one, as I'm happy to continue using CV1 for roomscale games.

Edited by Secoda

Great to hear. It's like flying an F-22 with the HP Reverb. You can see them but they can't see you. :thumbup: The folks using TrackIR with a good monitor had an advantage in clarity before but the Reverb equalizes it. Now you can have the best immersion and clarity in VR.

The difference is huge between the Reverb and the other new headsets I tried in picking up distant targets/planes in DCS. If that doesn't matter than save a few hundred bucks. The others still look pretty good (a bit better than my Lenovo at 1440 x 1440 and they have masked the SDE more but nothing close to the detail of the Reverb.

2.5 hour mission, not one rogue USB disconnect, not one tracking glitch, not one black screen, CtD or stutter. Tracking is better than Rift ever was as that used to glitch every now and then.

Tomcat cockpit looks pretty much the same, maybe a little clearer, but nothing I can shout about; but external details seem much sharper. sharper as in flying over Tonopah Test Airfield at 39000ft in moonlight, in the F14, looking down and seeing all the tiny aircraft shelters on the apron standing out sharply in 3D and with their own moon shadows.

So it appears I have spent the thick end of £1400 on upgrades yesterday, to cure the annoying tracking glitches and USB issues for nothing; as I became convinced they were motherboard related after crossing from Rift to Reverb.

Always maintain I am not lucky in life. Still, looking on the bright side, I am looking forward to the new build. :)

Edited by Secoda

:)

Wow, could you share a daylight screenshot please ?

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Sounds good, what’s Your settings?

The difference is huge between the Reverb and the other new headsets I tried in picking up distant targets/planes in DCS. If that doesn't matter than save a few hundred bucks. The others still look pretty good (a bit better than my Lenovo at 1440 x 1440 and they have masked the SDE more but nothing close to the detail of the Reverb.

Sounds good, what’s Your settings?

settings.thumb.jpg.ceddbd169a1631ce3ded0f0982fa090c.jpg

I really like on the Reverb you can pull the rubber nose piece off and peek at the keyboard.

Just over 4 hours on the 2nd Reverb since yesterday.

Edited by Secoda

I really like on the Reverb you can pull the rubber nose piece off and peek at the keyboard.

Just over 4 hours on the 2nd Reverb since yesterday.

Yup, I yanked mine off. Also, I booted into 1903 and I too can confirm that the WMR patch now shows the higer resolution in WMR/SteamVR resolution.

But I had to get the patch manually. It didn't download on its own. Which I found a bit interesting.

I should have taken it for a flight *before* the update but I forgot! :(

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I receive my consumer Reverb version from Amazon tomorrow. You guys think I should do the splint/zip tie mod right off the bat?

Anyone else get in the consumer version yet?

What settings do you guys recommend to start off? Steam VR at 2160x2160?

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

I receive my consumer Reverb version from Amazon tomorrow. You guys think I should do the splint/zip tie mod right off the bat?

Anyone else get in the consumer version yet?

What settings do you guys recommend to start off? Steam VR at 2160x2160?

If the cable layout is the same, yes. There is no harm in doing it. It's just good practice to insure you have strain relief.

Every HMD I've ever had had a strain relief.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I don't see the HP Reverb on Amazon...just checked. How in the heck did you get one?

I think he's the only one in the US with one. Amazon is out BB, HP, and shopBLT is showing September for availability.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I don't see the HP Reverb on Amazon...just checked. How in the heck did you get one?

There was a period where you could order it on amazon. If you held off and didn't cancel it, they ended up actually shipping some of them. During the time however they were delisted from the site.

Yea looks like the rest of us will have to wait until September or October to get the second version of them if they corrected the cable problem. I'm glad the new Windows update actually fixes the resolution issue now.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz