Su-27 Guide Help

Gault05

So I've managed to scrape up some $ to buy my first fighter module, the Su-27. But I'm not entirely sure how to properly utilize its systems yet, or how to engage, should a dogfight ensue my way.

Would there be any tips as to how to learn and(hopefully)master this fighter once I'm back to DCS?

DCS status:

Case:NZXT S340 Mid Tower;Motherboard:MSi 970 Gaming DDR3 ATX;CPU:AMD FX-8350 8-Core Unlocked with Hyper 212 Evo heatsink;Memory:Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3;Hard Drive:Samsung 640GB;SSD: Crucial 256GB;Sound:Asus Xonar DGX; Power: EVGA 600W B1 80+;OS:Windows 10 64-bit; GPU: MSI Radeon RX 570 8GB 256-bit

Modules: Flaming Cliffs 3, P-51D, Combined Arms, Black Shark 3, A-10C/2, WW2 Assets, F/A-18C, F-16C Viper, AH-64D, Supercarrier, China Assets Pack

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, Marianas, Sinai

FC3 Su27 is not right plane for DCS starter. ED tweaks it to be harder comparing to rival F15 which isn't modded long time ago. That's the fact no doubt about it. Starting from radar, missile guidance, missile performance, general and turn performance, artificial drag, damage model, wing break feature.. Su27 is like sensitive flower comparing to F15 which looks like made from meteor and that has nothing to do with real life performance of booth fighters that are very close to each other performance. ED has its own politics and it is not in favor of realism but 'wanna be like' bias and 'power balancing' feature. This are the words from LOMAC/FC1/2/DCS veteran here. At this point of 'target marketing' best choice would be to buy 'overpowered in any aspect' Mirage 2K that can grant you easy kills comparing to any opponent in DCS. If any ED lawyer here says this above is not true don't believe them because they are mercenaries playing along ED politics and not simulation credibility and realism. After all we are talking to the beta releases here so we all are kind of guinea pigs in DCS.

Edited by jackmckay

At this point of 'target marketing' best choice would be to buy 'overpowered in any aspect' Mirage 2K that can grant you easy kills comparing to any opponent in DCS. If any ED lawyer here says this above is not true don't believe them because they are mercenaries playing along ED politics and not simulation credibility and realism. After all we are talking to the beta releases here so we all are kind of guinea pigs in DCS.

As I have no means to compare the real world frames to each other, only in numbers, do you have sources for your statements?

I would like to educate myself on that matter.

Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming WiFi | Intel i7-13700K | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Elite | 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-600 | MSI RTX 3080 12GB | Seasonic TX-850 | 2x Samsung EVO 970 Plus 2TB M.2 nvme | 2x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 nvme | 2x Samsung EVO 860 1TB | Samsung EVO 870 4 TB | Acer XB241H | Win 11 Pro x64 | Røde NT-USB | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Edition 250Ω | Logitech G502 Proteus RGB | Corsair K70 | Corsair MM300 PRO | TM Warthog Throttle | VIRPIL WarBRD w/ Warthog grip | VIRPIL VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base w/ VIRPIL MongoosT-50CM2 grip | VIRPIL MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Mk. IV Ultimate | SLAW Device Viper RX v2 | Winwing VIPER MIP | Track IR 5 & TrackClipPRO 

One of the worst, pointless, biased post ever read.

How many times users of this forum have showed you, proved you how wrong you are about your assumptions of the Su-27? And you keep insisting.

If you are not going yo help Gault05 keep off.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

The Su-27 can be quite difficult at times (especially the need to constantly trim), but it's still a good aircraft. My personal suggestions for using the aircraft:

Always use terrain (especially mountains) to "sneak" behind an enemy. Don't go head to head unless you have no choice.

First try to use the "O" key (not to be confused with the "0" or zero key), this will allow you to track a targets heat signature instead of using the radar as the enemy won't get an RWR alert. Use the "I" key to activate the radar if they already know you're there.

The R-27ER (in my experience) is normally useless. If you have 2 on-board: fire one, wait a second or 2, then fire the second. You might just get a hit that way.

The best missile the Su-27 has available (in my opinion) is the R-73 heat seeker. The only good Russian radar guided missile in DCS I've seen is the R-77 but it's only available on the Mig-29S.

The only other thing I can say is be prepared to bail out every so often. The engines have a terrible habit of catching on fire after takeoff. The Mig-29 is still able to land with practice but the Su-27 is very hard to even control when this happens.

I hope I helped.

Edited by kelpie

Modules:

Owned:

P-51D, F/A-18C, AJS-37, NTTR, F-5E, M-2000C, Bf 109, Fw 190 D-9, F-86F, Mig-15Bis, A-10C, Combined Arms, Mi-8Mtv2, UH-1H, Black Shark 2, Mig-21Bis, FC3, F-14A/B, Mig-19, Spitfire, JF-17, Persian Gulf

Would Like to See:

Mig-29K, Su-24, Mig-25, J-8II, J-10 , Tornado

Specifications:

Windows 10 64Bit, i7-7700K 4.2Ghz, GTX 1080, 16Gb RAM, T.flight Stick X

FC3 Su27 is not right plane for DCS starter. ED tweaks it to be harder comparing to rival F15 which isn't modded long time ago. That's the fact no doubt about it. Starting from radar, missile guidance, missile performance, general and turn performance, artificial drag, damage model, wing break feature.. Su27 is like sensitive flower comparing to F15 which looks like made from meteor and that has nothing to do with real life performance of booth fighters that are very close to each other performance. ED has its own politics and it is not in favor of realism but 'wanna be like' bias and 'power balancing' feature. This are the words from LOMAC/FC1/2/DCS veteran here. At this point of 'target marketing' best choice would be to buy 'overpowered in any aspect' Mirage 2K that can grant you easy kills comparing to any opponent in DCS. If any ED lawyer here says this above is not true don't believe them because they are mercenaries playing along ED politics and not simulation credibility and realism. After all we are talking to the beta releases here so we all are kind of guinea pigs in DCS.

Ive seen great battles between the Su27 and F15 when in close or guns only competitions online, yes the f15 has the advantage with it's radar and amraam's in BVR as it does IRL, looking at the info available, you seem to have more information then most around here it seems, mind sharing where or how you come to these conclusions. Or is it what you just think and want to believe? What is it based off?

ED and third parties build highly technical FM's that do take time to mature (Beta), there just like their little child that needs nurturing to get the feel and behavior just right across the whole flight envelope and this takes time to evolve.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

He's just talking.

The things that are correct:

* Su-27 seems to be Yo-Yo's baby and receives attention regularly in terms of FM.

* F-15 lacks the same attention, as you can tell from the pace of updates, and it lacks some parts of the DM - specifically over-g.

Things that are corrections to the post:

* The F-15 matches the -1 schedules nicely - this has been verified a bunch of times by a bunch of people. It is also tuned as well as was possible according to the NASA studies, and actually underperforms in certain places - in top speed under some very specific circumstances (also affects the flanker) and acceleration with two tanks, for example.

* There is no bias. There's business (time assigned to be spent on things) that differ from project to project, and there are FM developers with different skillsets.

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Gault05 you're thread has been somewhat derailed but here's something that will help;

I see that it has, and thanks for the link.

Keep this thread back on topic people. Thank you.

DCS status:

Case:NZXT S340 Mid Tower;Motherboard:MSi 970 Gaming DDR3 ATX;CPU:AMD FX-8350 8-Core Unlocked with Hyper 212 Evo heatsink;Memory:Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3;Hard Drive:Samsung 640GB;SSD: Crucial 256GB;Sound:Asus Xonar DGX; Power: EVGA 600W B1 80+;OS:Windows 10 64-bit; GPU: MSI Radeon RX 570 8GB 256-bit

Modules: Flaming Cliffs 3, P-51D, Combined Arms, Black Shark 3, A-10C/2, WW2 Assets, F/A-18C, F-16C Viper, AH-64D, Supercarrier, China Assets Pack

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, Marianas, Sinai