G force fatigue

S. Low

Il2 recently implemented this. It seems to work "ok", but I only tried it once since I'm too busy with DCS :)

It should be implemented here though. With flight models and weapon systems pretty accurate, it feels arcadey to sustain 7 g's indefinitely.

Just pick an average or slightly above average us pilot performance with sustained g's endurance and then add that, along with a recovery phase

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Ya, that's a cool idea. C.W. Lemoine on Youtube spoke about G-fatigue and not being able to always perform 100% on some days and had to limit the G's he would pull on that given day.

Be nice to have that implemented.

Yeah, mover's live commentary on the bfm tourney recently is what made me realize it's needed. The aircraft capabilities are only part of the equation. Human endurance limitations contribute a lot to what you can do in a fight. Not just g fatigue but I imagine exhaustion too. Like if you get into a bfm fight after a several hour sortie you might not be able to sustain as many g's as you could immediately after take off.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Just don't forget to give it to the AI too, or it will compound their advantages over player aircraft.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

• 11 months later...

Wanted to revive this and add that not only should pilot g-force fatigue be real, but there should be a set of randomized structural failures that aircraft experience (with a chance of none happening) when the aircraft exceed their official g limit

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Ok some ideas for pilot fatigue: increase pilot tolerance for rapid g onset so we aren’t blacking out so easily in that regard. Then set staged limits for g tolerance: 30 seconds total every 15 minutes at 9g, then 7g is max before blackout occurs, etc Staggered recovery too, so if you do like 90 seconds of 7.5 g after exhausting your 9 g tolerance then it takes longer to recover up to full strength.

Something like this to simulate human exhaustion.

Maybe even reduce head camera movement speed at 7.5+ gs?

And then with airframes, have a set of structural failures that happen randomly when airframe is over g’ed. One or two Bent ailerons, bent or broken rudder, etc. Something to give an immediate consequence for exceeding g limit. Perhaps make it 70% nothing happens, then 30% it’s one of those airframe failures

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Would be cool to kinda randomize it. Have an average but randomly move the margins for upper limit, and fatigue.

It wouldn’t be “random” though. Not in real life.

Your ability to tolerate Gs is tied directly to your body mass, your fitness level, your flight currency plus genetics.

These are not random factors.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

no pilot recovers in 30 minuts of teh SAME flight. no way after you pull gs fo a few minuts and you relax, teh adrenaline wines down and you can´t even move.

There are stories of pilots being lifted from the cockpit at base because tehy cant come out themselves.. so it is imposible to recover in 30 minutes flying the jet...

It should be cumulative, you star with a good tolerance, and you expend it... onbce you are exhausted, that is it. you blak out easy...

Its the only realistic way. But people complain right now as it is imagine if you didi it realisticly jajajaja...everry body wants realism but they realy Don´t...

Edited by Baco
typos

no pilot recovers in 30 minuts of teh SAME flight. no way after you pull gs fo a few minuts and you relax, teh adrenaline wines down and you can´t even move.

There are stories of pilots being lifted from the cockpit at base because tehy cant come out themselves.. so it is imposible to recover in 30 minutes flying the jet...

It should be cumulative, you star with a good tolerance, and you expend it... onbce you are exhausted, that is it. you blak out easy...

Its the only realistic way. But people complain right now as it is imagine if you didi it realisticly jajajaja...everry body wants realism but they realy Don´t...

I'm merely giving starting point ideas. I've heard that pulling 9gs in a flight makes you feel like, at the end of the flight, you went through a very serious workout and you need to recover from it. So you could be right that there's a need for per flight cumulative effect. Sounds good to me. Putting that level of realism in would force us all to fly correctly, rather than flying these realistic jets like arcade jets because of the lack of g-force modeling.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

It wouldn’t be “random” though. Not in real life.

Your ability to tolerate Gs is tied directly to your body mass, your fitness level, your flight currency plus genetics.

These are not random factors.

Well they would probably have to pick one real-world (average) fighter pilot's fitness capability and have it modeled after that person.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Well they would probably have to pick one real-world (average) fighter pilot's fitness capability and have it modeled after that person.

Why not tie it to frequency of flight (a real life factor)

Take a week off (in real time) and your G tolerance slips some but gets better if you fly several flights in a row (but then it can start to decline again if you fly too much in one session)

There are possibilities!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

www.crosswindimages.com

Why not tie it to frequency of flight (a real life factor)

Take a week off (in real time) and your G tolerance slips some but gets better if you fly several flights in a row (but then it can start to decline again if you fly too much in one session)

There are possibilities!

That would be punishing the casual pilot or the "real life obligations" one, benefiting kidds with nothing better to do or retired people LOL.

That would be punishing the casual pilot or the "real life obligations" one, benefiting kidds with nothing better to do or retired people LOL.

Ok, so push it to a month.

If you can’t fly at least once a month, then those who can deserve the benefit.

Otherwise, what’s the point?

I mean if I fly every day or twice a week, I shouldn’t fade as fast as someone who flys once every two months should I? If you’re going to inflict a handicap, then it should be balanced by a reward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

www.crosswindimages.com

Make it a server option as everything else so if you fly daily on a given server, your fatigue gets better till some cap and if somebody only flies twice a week he got the handicap. With that option the different communities can decide which route they go. It wouldn't make much sense to force it on everybody, if you only do 2hrs a week dogfighting while other squadrons fly daily 3hr sorties.

Specs:WIN10, I7-4790K, ASUS RANGER VII, 16GB G.Skill DDR3, GEFORCE 1080, NVME SSD, SSD, VIRPIL T-50 THROTTLE, K-51 COLLECTIVE, MS FFB2 (CH COMBATSTICK MOD), MFG CROSSWINDS, JETPAD, RIFT S

Modules:A10C, AH-64D, AJS-37, AV8B, BF109K4, CA, F/A18C, F14, F5EII, F86F, FC3, FW190A8, FW190D9, KA50, L39, M2000C, MI8TV2, MI24P, MIG15BIS, MIG19P, MIG21BIS, MIRAGE F1, P51D, SA342, SPITFIRE, UH1H, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, CHANNEL, SYRIA

Thrustmaster TWCS Afterburner Detent
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223776

My Frankenwinder ffb2 stick

To add to the existing comments, +1 for more realistic pilot responses during sustained high g maneuvers.

There is a research paper indicating pilot average tolerance of one minute at 6 +Gs (eyeballs down).

As far as I'm aware, 6 +Gs can be held indefinitely in game. Is this realistic for the average fighter pilot?

Yes, but introducing aircraft over-g consequences are more important, because in some cases they are completely absent.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria