2.5 user manual

BlacleyCole

I went to read the user manual as I’ve already stated. I think if rewriting the manual to current release is too much work then at least start a forum titled manual under the 2.5 release and put the updated info in a sticky there by release so when 2.5 it would cover the change in that release like all maps in one login, but I’m sure there are many changes from the 1.2 manual thru the last released manual as far as I can tell. So to start you would go back to through the releases since the manual and for every documented change and post the change, what it is and how to use it do this for each documented change then on mayor releases whether 2.0 or 2.5 or every .dot change in between that was released do the same then on every major update take the info that’s written and edit it in to the previous manual then add in the documentation for the major release and you have your updated manual that makes it a lot easier to maintain the manual or you could even do it like the military does with change sheets documenting the typos and page changes . ED needs to start documenting the core program and mission editor with each release and putting out a new manual with the new major release. Great programs die because of poor or lack of current documentation. Because new users will go to it and see it hasn’t been updated so they're unable to find out the proper documentation and either give up on the program or that part of it at least because they are unable to use it.

Edited by BlacleyCole
Grammar

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Normally I avoid being snarky, but your argument would hold a lot more water if you wrote a more succinct post.

Run on sentences, typos, and poor spelling/grammar make this post all but unreadable!

I apologize if you feel hurt by my criticism, but c'mon dude... :)

Will edit when I can if you ever used an iPad you would realize it changes words and you may not notice it plus I’m having input problems at times do to the gorilla glass being cracked

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

I understand the need to update the manual. My argument is based on the irony of such a poorly written request asking for a rewrite...

I know spelling and punctuation are going out of style (too many characters), but when they are so grossly lacking, it tends to prohibit understanding.

Why even take the time to read through the post when you cannot read it comfortably.

^ Have to agree to some extent with this one. Not referring to this thread in particular, I'm not a native Eng speaker and neither are most folks on ED forum, so when I see the wall of gibberish, I just find it difficult to decipher, nor do I feel motivated to try to. I usually skip most, because If the poster doesn't give a damn about me as a reader and about being understood, why should I give a damn about his post then?

Glossing over BC's post, I'd say the guy does have some point though. Even If one might say that DCS is somewhat better than BoX, as that other sim doesn't provide any manual for novice users whatsoever (the link to the manual on their official forum is dead and you have to google through some unofficial sources to find equally outdated one :D), there's no excuse - the DCS manual is quite a bit lacking as well. With recent changes in main game and mission editor GUI, reading that document will cause confusion in couple of places for new players, even if most of program's functionality is similar to the 1.2.xx era. An update would certainly be handy for them and it wouldn't require a complete rewrite.

BC, you're touching on an important issue, but please, next time just get back home, have a beer and write the long post on your laptop rather than relying on your battered iPad, which ain't optimal for the job.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Dear Mr. Art-J and Mr. Diemos, it would be far more polite for you to just pass up such a post rather than, without conscious intent, discouraging any of our many contributors on this site. There are just as many English speaker as non proficient English speakers on this site who do not such a good job with their grammar and spelling. We always manage to figure out just what they are saying; and if we don't, we shoot them a post saying, could you further explain. As a Viet Nam vet who lived in Italy, I found that Americans are the only persons who lived in Italy, and called the Italians Foreigners. Ain't that a Bit$#?

8if you look at the time it was posted it was 5am my time and I was up all night and very tired but wasn’t able to sleep. Yes, I should proof read like I’m doing now. Try to keep sentences short and concise. I have a legitimate complaint, the manual is severely behind the program. All I was asking is to start a thread or sticky where with each release you list the changes and update the information there. Then when you put out a major release the manual can be easily updated using the data in the sticky. I’m sorry I don’t write better than this retired veteran with a high school education with some college. Sometimes I catch the spellchecker changing my words but a lot of times I miss it. All have a great day.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Corrected and easier to read.

I went to read the user manual, and noticed that it is written for version 1.2.

If rewriting the manual to current release is too much work, at least start a sticky thread in which all the new, updated information can be placed. As an example, it could address the change in having one release that can utilise all the maps.

To start, you could go back to through the release versions since the manual, and for every discrepancy (change between versions) post what the change is, what is new in this version, and how to use the new feature. Every time there was a major release, it would be easy to quickly edit the information and keep it all relevant. You could even document the information like the military, with sheets that document the typos and changes between versions.

ED needs to start documenting the core program and mission editor with each release and putting out a new manual with the new major release. Great programs die because of poor or lack of current documentation. it discourages new users from using the software, as it can be hard to solve problems, or even just know how to use all of the software’s features!

Edited! :smilewink:

Edited by Hazzerboraco
Typos!

:matrix: :joystick: ....... BOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMM ....... :megalol:

What do you experienced simmers recommend we newbie's study until a manual update is completed? Which threads/forums are worthwhile reading? Thanks

Clevo laptop: P650HS-G, i7-7820HK 3.9Hz max (+overclock capable), Liquid Metal pasted, 16GB DDR4/2400MHz, 15.6 G-Sync 120Hz 5ms panel, nVidia GTX 1070 w/8GDDR5, 10Pro

Installed: DCS World, DCS World 2 with Nevada, F-5; Purchased: F/A-18C

If you going to do that why not start a wiki for dcs

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB