Overpriced?

brettt777

$60 for prebuy and $80 for early access??? Are you kidding me??? How much will the standard price be, $100? This is getting ridiculous!

• Like 5

I7 4790K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z97S SLI+, 32GB HyperX 2400 DDR3, GeForce RTX-3060ti 8GB DDR6, Rosewill 80plus Bronze 1000w, Corsair Hydro H100i, Intel 160GB SSD for OS, Seagate Barracuda 2TB, Intel 1TB SSD for DCS, P3D, Star Citizen, Sound Blaster Zx, Thermaltake Overseer RX-I, Logitech G940 FFB stick, dual throttle & pedals, TrackIR 5, Surround Speakers & Subwoofer, Oculus Quest 2 VR.

:joystick::pilotfly:

So how much do you think the license to produce this module cost ED to obtain from Boeing?

How much do you think the assets they obtained from Boeing cost?

How many people do you think it took to produce this module? How much schooling did they have? what kind of experience do they have? How much do you think that cost?

How much do you think Wag's time and effort is worth in putting up with this spoiled, ungrateful, petulant community is?

How much do you think the consulting time spent with SME's such as Hornet pilots, maintainers, etc is worth?

Now tell me, do you think you could do all that..and only ask for $50 a copy?

• Like 3

$60 for prebuy and $80 for early access??? Are you kidding me??? How much will the standard price be, $100? This is getting ridiculous!

Given how much some things cost for airliner sims (the PMDG airliners cost $130), I think the FA/18 is priced quite accurately.

• Like 2

Tally another price thread..

I can remember spending 70e on some arcade flight game about 10 years back, I think it's safe to say the Hornet will have twice as much effort into it then some Xbox game ever will.

If you don't think it'll be worth the price, wait for a sale a year or two for now..

Edited by Lithion
edited out game name
  • Like 1

T.16000m HOTAS + Pedals || TrackIR5 ||

Win10 64bit || 120+500GB SSD, 1TB HDD || i5 4440 @3.3GHz || 16GB RAM @ 1600MHz || GTX1070 G1 ||

FCIII, L39ZA, AJS-37, Normandy '44, Persian Gulf, Channel

F/A-18C, Bf-109 K-4, WW2 Asset Pack, CA, P-47, F-16

Tally another price thread..

I can remember spending 70e on some arcade flight game about 10 years back, I think it's safe to say the Hornet will have twice as much effort into it then some Xbox game ever will.

If you don't think it'll be worth the price, wait for a sale a year or two for now..

Hell I paid $40 for another flight sim done by Micropose in 1998 and that game was broken as hell right out of the box!

Why is everyone complaining? You have 3 + months to save $60. Also if you include the bonus its actually only $44. Ohh and it was an $80 pre purchase for me due to the exchange rate

Edited by cypher_142
  • Like 1

I7 4770K@4.5 GHZ, Gigabyte Z87X-OC FORCE, 24GB Ram, Aorus GTX 1080 TI extreme edition, 500 GB SSD,120 GB SSD , 2TB HDD, Corsair H80i, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit, Logitech G940,TrackIR 5 + Pro Clip

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Have fun not flying it...:thumbup:

Considering the number of hours I've spent flying the A-10 (and other modules as well) I think its quite good value compared to your average Call of Duty or Battlefield...

But the GREAT thing about this is that you aren't forced to buy it.. So feel free to go play something else while being angry about the price. :megalol:

• Like 1

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Why is everyone complaining? You have 3 + months to save $60. Also if you include the bonus its actually only $44

People have had a mere 72 months since the F-18C was first announced to start saving for it.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

Also if you include the bonus its actually only $44

What bonus is this?

If you mean the bonus you get from buying a module, that is completely irrelevant. I had about $70 in bonuses, but they just lapsed because I usually buy modules straight away (as is the suggestion in your post - as $60 is the pre-order price) and any bonus is therefore not eligible. AFAIC I have always considered the bonus as worthless to me.

I'm not saying this module is not worth it - but the price is what made me decide not to buy it. In fact, I wasn't sure I wanted this module up to now, but when I saw the price, it made my mind up for me - and that is the kind of person that the price will definitely affect - the ones who were on the fence about getting the Hornet.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

What bonus is this?

you get $16 bonus credit into your DCS store account that you can use to spend on other modules.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

• ED Team

very reasonable price IMHO, for all the time and effort ED have put into it.

Ive said it in other threads, I spend more on a night out or on a concert ticket. With the F-18 I will get 1000's of hours of fun, and value for money.

Only you know how much you are willing or able to spend, you get 20$ off now, then it goes to $80, if you can not afford that wait, maybe one day there will be a sale.

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

All hobbies are expensive, especially one that involves a (high-end) PC and then there is the issue of ED and partners being too damn good at what they do.. If this is all really too expensive for you and some other guys I suggest you wait for a sale or you start collecting poststamps, its probably cheaper.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

$60 is cheap. Off to pre-order now!

• Like 1

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

In the UK, late nineties, I seem to remember a good flight sim (or any PC game!) would be about £40 (Falcon 4.0, EF2000 etc), or maybe even more. Adjusting for inflation, that would be somewhere in the region of £58 now (damn, where did that 20 years go!?). At current exchange rate, that is about $80 US. So from my point of view, although I agree it isn't 'cheap', the extra detail, effort and fidelity we are getting now is well worth it, and not expensive compared with good PC sims of the past.

Can anyone remember the cost of Janes F18 when it was first released in 2000?

Cheers!

P

Did you watch the pre-release trailer?

If that doesn't get you wanting to throw $60 at your monitor then I guess this isn't the module for you. $60 is a bargain.

18 years ago I paid ~$100 for Janes F/A-18. Now compare the two ...

Edited by Bullant

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

Can anyone remember the cost of Janes F18 when it was first released in 2000?

Cheers!

P

According to a fellow DCS'er on YouTube it was $55 when it released in 1999, which would be, taking in consideration inflation, $80 nowadays.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

Another thing to say to add context...

PMDG who make study level airliner addons for FSX and P3D sell their 747-400 for $135!!!

The VRS Superbug for P3D is $59.99 + $49.95 for the TacPack if you actually want to employ any weaponry. Thats over $100 as well.

Compared to this $60 + a $16 account bonus seems pretty damn good deal!

Proud owner of:

look at the quality of the study sims, flying endless circuits and touch and goes at batumi in the A-10 helped me get my real world pilot license and that cost about £9,000 pounds, not dollars! i still havent mastered or even fired off some of the weapons. i bought the huey and mustang just to support the sim. i bought the mirage but have hardly touched it. 2.5 scenery is about to come out and we can start all over again with the Hornet. Hours and hours of quality experience as close as the vast majority of us will ever get to the fast jet world. I cant wait and the pre release price for me is easily worth the quality we are going to get. Well done ED in keeping flight simulation up there. you have ny unwavering support even if the waits are sometimes frustrating. Now how to convince my wife....

• Like 1

• ED Team

No, Pre-purchase is $60, final price is $80 after release to Early Access, it's not going up anymore than that.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• ED Team

With the launch of the DCS: F/A-18C pre-purchase, there has been a small but vocal number of folks that have expressed concern about the pricing. To better shed some light on this move, I’d like to explain this rational better:

Over our almost 30 years of business, our pricing policy has, for the most part, gone nearly unchanged. This is despite the ever-rising costs of development. Developing a game in 2018 is far, far most costly than years past. It is not realistic to expect prices to stay the same while costs of development rise.

In addition to Eagle Dynamics and Belsimtek making back their enormous financial investments in this project, Boeing must also be accounted for.

Over the past several years, literally millions of dollars have been invested to create this project for a non-mainstream customer base. This project must at least break even.

While many flight simulation developers offset costs by charging for their base-product, we provide it for free… including free map updates like the Caucasus map. The revenue to keep creating new DCS World content must come from somewhere.

If you examine some of our competitor’s products, our Hornet pricing is in fact less.

All that said, we realize that some customers simply do not have the financial resources to afford a $79.99 product. This is a big reason why we are offering the pre-purchase at a $20 discount. To say though that the product is over-priced, is a fallacy given the huge resource/time investment, quality, Hornet features, and 2018 development environment.

Edited by BIGNEWY
typo