F-14D??

OnionSpider13

Why the fascination of the F14D? Other than TARPS, what else could it do? I always thought it could carry the AMRAAM, but I was never sure.

What difference did it make between the F14B+ and the D? I'm not sure there's that much difference.

Different radar, DFCS instead of the old analog system, and no, the F-14D never carried the AIM-120. At least, not operationally.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Can't pretend fly as well as you can.

That is true, but our F-14(s) are drawn from a bit earlier in the Tomcat's life, so I felt it worth mentioning.

So we will get this (from Combat Aircraft monthly October issue):

"Although the Tomcat had good low-speed handling characteristics thanks to its ‘swingwings’ and clever lift devices — spoilers plus full-span leading-edge slats and trailing-edge � aps — the aircraft could be a handful in the � final stages of a carrier landing. It was poor at holding an accurate approach speed or glideslope angle and it tended to veer away from a heading. The jet also suff�ered from high pitch inertia, causing it to � float in

the � final seconds prior to landing. High residual thrust meant that pilots had to use low throttle settings, giving poor engine response when more power was required. Finally, indiff�erent lateral control made precise heading control diff�icult."

Different radar, DFCS instead of the old analog system, and no, the F-14D never carried the AIM-120. At least, not operationally.

It also sported IRST, albit a less capable version than what I've read they had planned. The D model was also Link-16 compatible.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

So we will get this (from Combat Aircraft monthly October issue):

"Although the Tomcat had good low-speed handling characteristics thanks to its ‘swingwings’ and clever lift devices — spoilers plus full-span leading-edge slats and trailing-edge � aps — the aircraft could be a handful in the � final stages of a carrier landing. It was poor at holding an accurate approach speed or glideslope angle and it tended to veer away from a heading. The jet also suff�ered from high pitch inertia, causing it to � float in

the � final seconds prior to landing. High residual thrust meant that pilots had to use low throttle settings, giving poor engine response when more power was required. Finally, indiff�erent lateral control made precise heading control diff�icult."

Here's the thing, I have the VRS Superbug and Aerosoft Tomcat for FSX, and I absolutely love flying in the carrier pattern with the Tomcat. It makes me work harder, sure, but it's a very fun aircraft to fly. The Superbug feels so sterile. The Tomcat requires you to stay ahead of the jet mentally, but it doesn't feel stupidly difficult to handle.

It also sported IRST, albit a less capable version than what I've read they had planned. The D model was also Link-16 compatible.

The F-14D IRST was very capable and a crutch for the crews. You shouldn't have any information on its actual capalities other than assumed capabilities based on the theory.

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

https://www.csg-1.com/

DCS F-14 Pilot/RIO Discord:

https://discord.gg/6bbthxk

The F-14D IRST was very capable and a crutch for the crews. You shouldn't have any information on its actual capalities other than assumed capabilities based on the theory.

Which is why I can’t see them being able to accurately simulate the -D. Also considering the fact that the APG-71 which the -D used was based on the APG-70 (which is still in service with the F-15E) I’d imagine it would be highly classified, or enough so that it could not be accurately simulated.

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

Which is why I can’t see them being able to accurately simulate the -D. Also considering the fact that the APG-71 which the -D used was based on the APG-70 (which is still in service with the F-15E) I’d imagine it would be highly classified, or enough so that it could not be accurately simulated.

If no available data on that IRST was a problem, they could just leave it off (like, removed for maintenance), worst case.

Regarding the radar, well, the AN/APG-73 in the Hornet is still in use and we have the fully-fledged module with it. Plus, the AN/APG-71 didn't have the ground mapping modes support integrated, so it shouldn't be that difficult to simulate its A2A modes.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

If no available data on that IRST was a problem, they could just leave it off (like, removed for maintenance), worst case.

Regarding the radar, well, the AN/APG-73 in the Hornet is still in use and we have the fully-fledged module with it. Plus, the AN/APG-71 didn't have the ground mapping modes support integrated, so it shouldn't be that difficult to simulate its A2A modes.

I would echo this. With just the A-A capability, I think the APG-71 could be accurately simulated. Don't know about the IRST given a lack of details on it. I just know I've heard there were plans of improving it if they had gone ahead with upgrading to the proposed Super Tomcat 21.

I'd also be curious if the improved AIM-54C++ could be simulated aswell if we ever get the D.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

The "just leave it off" idea would be fine if all the systems were not interconnected.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

The "just leave it off" idea would be fine if all the systems were not interconnected.

How exactly would the IRST be interconnected with anything else?

I didn't really check the NATOPS for the F-14D regarding this, but I imagine there might be a button on the MFD to select the IRST sensor picture (kind of like the Maverick one) and you'd implement it as having no function or don't show it at all. What other systems would be affected by this?

On that often shown diagram of various chin pod configurations, one of them is showing the IRST window blanked off with the comment 'temporarily' (I presume for maintenance or if the system wasn't ready from the start of the operational service, perhaps), so it might be a realistic option.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

How exactly would the IRST be interconnected with anything else?

I didn't really check the NATOPS for the F-14D regarding this, but I imagine there might be a button on the MFD to select the IRST sensor picture (kind of like the Maverick one) and you'd implement it as having no function or don't show it at all. What other systems would be affected by this?

On that often shown diagram of various chin pod configurations, one of them is showing the IRST window blanked off with the comment 'temporarily' (I presume for maintenance or if the system wasn't ready from the start of the operational service, perhaps), so it might be a realistic option.

Why spend the time and energy to make a D only to leave the IRST functionality out? If that was the case, it would make more sense to make the B upgrade.

Throw in the Sparrowhawk HUD upfront, a PTID in the back, some DFCS magic and you got the B upgrade. The exterior model is pretty much complete. There would not be a need to update the chin pod to a D model to include a system that would not function. In addition, the cockpit would require a significant change to turn it into a D, not so for the B upgrade.

Why spend the time and energy to make a D only to leave the IRST functionality out? If that was the case, it would make more sense to make the B upgrade.

Throw in the Sparrowhawk HUD upfront, a PTID in the back, some DFCS magic and you got the B upgrade. The exterior model is pretty much complete. There would not be a need to update the chin pod to a D model to include a system that would not function. In addition, the cockpit would require a significant change to turn it into a D, not so for the B upgrade.

I'd honestly rather they just did that.

I would buy an F-14D if Heatblur was able to pull it off, but I'm not all the way sure the DoD would be very forthright with the necessary details.

An upgraded B would probably be quite a bit easier.

Can't pretend fly as well as you can.

I would really love to see the D but i would happily buy the B+ Upgrade

Main Module: AH-64D

Personal Wishlist: HH-60G, F-117A, B-52H

Yeah, because we totally don't have a CURRENT GEN F-18 and A-10 in the game... Oh wait. Why do people say this stuff? Classification has nothing to do with what gets into the game or not. The only relevant aspect is whether the necessary government and contractor entities say "yes" or "no". If they wanted to, they could forbid you to model a 1940s P-51 Mustang, since they own the IP, etc.

@@

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Yeah, because we totally don't have a CURRENT GEN F-18 and A-10 in the game... Oh wait. Why do people say this stuff? Classification has nothing to do with what gets into the game or not. The only relevant aspect is whether the necessary government and contractor entities say "yes" or "no". If they wanted to, they could forbid you to model a 1940s P-51 Mustang, since they own the IP, etc.

@@

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3626781&postcount=211

To be quite frank I don't think I'll ever be working on a Tomcat guide, unfortunately. Part of my RL work requires various military clearances, which are subject to constant reviews and in-depth background checks. The Tomcat currently being operated by Iran, the U.S. arms embargo in place specifically forbids the creation of training material that is in any way related to the F-14. I'm not american, but I have to travel on american soil for work... in a world where the concept of privacy no longer exists. See where I'm going with this? At this point, I'd rather stay out of trouble and not risk it.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3665401&postcount=639

I quit working on the project for two reasons. First, although I was very open and honest about everything, the project still became a bureaucratic security issue for my employer, as a US Air Force contractor. I ended up resigning partly because of it. But more importantly, I had established a relationship with some Tu-22M people in Russia who were happy to contribute to the project, but eventually had to ask me politely to cease my research efforts. I won't say exactly why, but the request was reasonable, they had been very fair with me, and I agreed to drop the project.

While I was trying to make the Air Force job work, the best thing for me to do was cease all communication about the project while I was investigated. I resigned in March, but remained silent while I looked at other work (the security headaches would potentially follow me to any government related job), but I ended up getting out of engineering entirely. I have moved to Alaska to fly professionally, and can say something now.

Yes... clearly classification has nothing to do with module development at all... :doh:

For me A and B are the most important. D variant will not have any RED counterpart anyway. Cold war variants will.

Umn what? The B we are getting is not a Cold War Variant, and B and D's production was completed within a single year of each other. The D is a cold warplane, albeit a very late war cold plane. If the F-14B has an opponent then so does the F-14D (being the Flanker & MiG-29 variants we have in the game)

F-14B Production = March 1987- May 1 1991

F-14D Production = March 23 1990- July 20 1992

Umn what? The B we are getting is not a Cold War Variant, and B and D's production was completed within a single year of each other. The D is a cold warplane, albeit a very late war cold plane. If the F-14B has an opponent then so does the F-14D (being the Flanker & MiG-29 variants we have in the game)

F-14B Production = March 1987- May 1 1991

F-14D Production = March 23 1990- July 20 1992

Yes you are right, only A variant will have RED counterparts - MiG-23MLA i MiG-21bis.

BTW. I heard B variant will be '80 standard. Am i wrong?