How to make a video?

Tregarth

I am becoming quite good at landing the F-18 (at least I crash less frequently).

I would like to make a video so I can play it back and admire my skill but cannot see how to do it. I have searched both Chuck's and DCS's manual using terms like record and video with no success.

How can I make a video and where is it stored?

Thank you,

Tregarth

Use Fraps, Shadowplay and something similar to record a video.

You could also save the track (at the end of the mission, you can hit "save track") but tracks are usually bugged and unreliable, making these kind of replays random and not what you were actually experiencing.

Thanks for this. I didn't know FRAPS could be used for outside view recording - I thought it could only be used for interior.

Can you "fly" round the F-18 whilst it is landing? That is really something.

Thank you,

Tregarth

Well I made this vid 15 minutes ago with FRAPS of my superb landing attempt on a carrier, but I somehow botched the quality (I'm not a geek), is the link showing ok in this post?

PS- yeah I know I shouldn't have tried to be smart by flaring, and to rub in salt I was too slow reaching for the eject button (sniffle)..

Edited by PoorOldSpike

Thanks for this. I didn't know FRAPS could be used for outside view recording - I thought it could only be used for interior.

Can you "fly" round the F-18 whilst it is landing? That is really something.

Thank you,

Tregarth

It records whatever perspective you are in at that moment.

After shooting a vid with Fraps and moving it to desktop, I then usually open it with 'Movie Maker' to crop out the bits I don't want.

Then I upload it to youtube then pick up the link to post in forums.

I haven't done all that for ages so am rusty which is why the definition of my vid was terrible, it's my fault not FRAPS or anybody elses.

Poor Old Spike, thank you for your reply, sorry you have written off one of Mr Trump's aeroplanes, but he has plenty more.

I have tried FRAPS; thank you for the answer. I find it odd that both X-Plane and FSX supply a video capture command but DCS expects you to pay money for FRAPS.

DCS is becoming a disappointment to me. Knowing what I know now I would not have bought it and would not recommend it to any one else.

If you have a Nvidia graphic card, you could use the native recording application from Nvidia Geforce Experiance. If already installed, and it may alread be active, just press Alt+Z.

Windows 11 Pro 64Bit - AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD 6900 XT - 64 GB RAM

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip

You could also save the track (at the end of the mission, you can hit "save track") but tracks are usually bugged and unreliable, making these kind of replays random and not what you were actually experiencing.

Obviously advantage of creating videos from a track is it allows you to record multiple angles and edit them.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

Poor Old Spike, thank you for your reply, sorry you have written off one of Mr Trump's aeroplanes, but he has plenty more.

I have tried FRAPS; thank you for the answer. I find it odd that both X-Plane and FSX supply a video capture command but DCS expects you to pay money for FRAPS.

DCS is becoming a disappointment to me. Knowing what I know now I would not have bought it and would not recommend it to any one else.

1- FRAPS is free and works fine, you only need pay for the jazzed-up version with more bells and whistles on it if you want to buy it..:)

2- In fact strictly speaking we don't need FRAPS or any other brand of screen capture program at all, we can simply point our smartphone or camera etc at the screen and start recording, then download it to our computer, then upload it to youtube, I do it all the time with games and sims. Warning- the quality and definition is not as good with this method.

3- Why is DCS a "disappointment" to you? Do you mean F/A-18C?

I paid 62 GB pounds (75 US dollars) for F/A-18C a couple of weeks ago, (I should have waited for the sale, duh) and considering the amount of work the programmers put into it I think it's a fair price but it's really for hardcore flight simmers who lurv having to click a thousand buttons to make it go.

Other types (eg the free Su25) seem easier to fly.

Edited by PoorOldSpike

DCS expects you to pay money for FRAPS..

DCS doesn't expect you to pay money for FRAPS, that is your decision. There are many more, much better options than FRAPS and they are FREE.

Your video card probably can do it, for free.

OBS is free.

PS: FRAPS is free (premium features are paid)

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Something about FRAPS to bear in mind is that although it usually captures all ingame sequences fine, it sometimes won't capture static shots of menu lists and hotkey lists etc, it all depends on what game or sim it is.

Also some vids might not work ("format not supported") depending what format its in, and what player you're using, so you have to go into geek mode to correctly set the settings etc.

Edited by PoorOldSpike