Some questions about this plane

jfri

In order to decide if I should purchase this plane

1) How good are the training tutorials and how many are there ? Are they voiced ?

2) Is this plane easy to learn and fly ?

3) How is it compared to the F 86 Sabre. I have an impression that they seem similar.

1. Can't remember now if it has training missions. I think there's a few.

2. Very easy to fly and learn, hard to master.

3. Its more modern, faster and can carry a LOT of bombs and rockets as well as 2x Aim9 and has twin 20mm cannons in the nose.

The F5 is a great great module. Only downside is that it doesn't come with a campaign but plenty of MP servers to go fly on.

To quote myself from another post here yesterday..

Comes with:

• F-5E. Cold Start, Taxiing and Takeoff
  • F-5E. Approach and Landing
  • F-5E. Flight and Radio Navigation
  • F-5E. Air-to-Air Missile Employment in MSL mode
  • F-5E. Air-to-Air Missile Employment in DM mode
  • F-5E. Engaging Aerial Targets using DG and A/A1 GUNS modes
  • F-5E. Engaging Aerial Targets using A/A2 GUNS mode
  • F-5E. Free-Fall Bombs
  • F-5E. Unguided Rockets and Guns
  • F-5E. Laser-guided bomb

Plus 6 instant action missions, for each of the 4 maps.

Cant remember if they are voiced.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

1. Can't remember now if it has training missions. I think there's a few.

2. Very easy to fly and learn, hard to master.

3. Its more modern, faster and can carry a LOT of bombs and rockets as well as 2x Aim9 and has twin 20mm cannons in the nose.

The F5 is a great great module. Only downside is that it doesn't come with a campaign but plenty of MP servers to go fly on.

i would also add unlike the Sabre it has a search radar ( abiet shorted ranged compared to modern jets ), Counter measures dispenser, and a radar warning receiver. Pretty modern one at that on such a jet because it would basically be What the A10A and F16A would have been fitted with,

Also its gunsight is much better than the sabres.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

To quote myself from another post here yesterday..

Cant remember if they are voiced.

Anyone else here who knows if they are voiced ?

What about ordinary missions (not instant action) ?

From that list I get the impression that this plane is mainly for air to air combat even though it has air to ground capacity ? Unlike for example A10 C for which the opposite is true.

Tuturials are not voiced.

A2G is limited to unguided weapons and fixed-sight aiming, just like the Sabre. You can drop Paveways, but somebody else has to lase them. It can carry a decent load of bombs.

A2A is guns and two missiles, like the Sabre, but the Sidewinders are more modern version, so they are quite usable. F-5 also has basic countermeasures dispenser and modern RWR. Search radar is not very useful, as it has very limited range.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

A2G is limited to unguided weapons and fixed-sight aiming, just like the Sabre. You can drop Paveways, but somebody else has to lase them. It can carry a decent load of bombs.

A2A is guns and two missiles, like the Sabre, but the Sidewinders are more modern version, so they are quite usable. F-5 also has basic countermeasures dispenser and modern RWR. Search radar is not very useful, as it has very limited range.

Then I think I will pass on this plane

I just bought it today actually in the sale. Seems quite a nice little number. Would have bought it full price though, but well worth £25.

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Bad choice. The F-5E is the best and most interesting airplane available to DCS (that is until there will finally be an F-4E), coming from an era when combat aircraft were technologically quite advanced, but not in a 'put the thing on the thing and bang' way. The F-5 is still a pilot's aircraft where you have to fight instead of just locking up, firing, kill.

The only thing that drives me nuts is the way it is trimmed, or rather constantly out of trim. Oscillating between -2000 fpm and +2000 fpm while just looking briefly down in the pit is common in this bird.

Bad choice. The F-5E is the best and most interesting airplane available to DCS (that is until there will finally be an F-4E), coming from an era when combat aircraft were technologically quite advanced, but not in a 'put the thing on the thing and bang' way. The F-5 is still a pilot's aircraft where you have to fight instead of just locking up, firing, kill.

The only thing that drives me nuts is the way it is trimmed, or rather constantly out of trim. Oscillating between -2000 fpm and +2000 fpm while just looking briefly down in the pit is common in this bird.

Tutorials not being voiced is big minus for me. I already have the F86 and one thing that put me off that (at least for now) is that just keeping it on altitude was very tricky and seem just like your description of an oscillating aircraft. So the F 5E seem not easy to fly.

I just purchased this module, and I really enjoy it. Is it as complex as the F-18 no, but it's a great little aircraft that will test you ability as a pilot and requires more piloting skills than the F-18 or newer aircraft. It's a good trainer and quick and easy to get started and up in the air when you're short on time. Landing is a blast as well.

Tutorials not being voiced is big minus for me. I already have the F86 and one thing that put me off that (at least for now) is that just keeping it on altitude was very tricky and seem just like your description of an oscillating aircraft. So the F 5E seem not easy to fly.

I wouldn't say it's difficult to fly, but it doesn't have the Flight Control Systems of the newer aircraft. There is a reason the Air Force uses the T-6 and T-38 to train pilots though because you never know when systems will fail. Also, it's a great plane to play adversary pilot in.

Not easy to fly? Compared to? This aircraft requires trim input from you, the pilot. It also has a short moment arm and very low aspect ratio wings. Any changes in power are going affect your trim setting. Sounds like you need to adjust your axis curves for starters. That will reduce how touchy the response is Then work on your airmansbip. This plane can fly as precise as you need it to. Just practice practice practice.

Cheers,

Rick

CSEL\CMEL\IFR

Certified Airplane Nut

Not easy to fly? Compared to? This aircraft requires trim input from you, the pilot. It also has a short moment arm and very low aspect ratio wings. Any changes in power are going affect your trim setting. Sounds like you need to adjust your axis curves for starters. That will reduce how touchy the response is Then work on your airmansbip. This plane can fly as precise as you need it to. Just practice practice practice.

Compared to for example the A10-C which I find much more easy to fly than for example the F86 Sabre

I wouldn't say it's difficult to fly, but it doesn't have the Flight Control Systems of the newer aircraft. There is a reason the Air Force uses the T-6 and T-38 to train pilots though because you never know when systems will fail. Also, it's a great plane to play adversary pilot in.

Do you have the F86 Sabre ? If so how would it compare to that with regard how easy it is to fly ?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi and sorry for my english

F-5 tiger is not bad but .....never ...never can trim this wild horse .

All the time u go up and then u go down

Trim it up so after 1 or 2 click you start to go up so u have to click it down after 1 or 2 click u start to go down then again and again and again .

Think about when u are in a dog fight exactly the same as when u have hiccup

of course this is my opinion may be i,m wrong

I have X-52 PRO Saitek

I like this bird but really i don,t no what i can do with this problem .

That's just a common thing in fast jets without fly-by-wire. One of my friends who's in Meridian flying the T-45 says it's the same way.