The overview I’ve been waiting for!!! Phil Style!

About weapons, ED has show some bombs and rockets:

-AN-M64 500 lb bomb, Show on P-47 youtubers videos and P-51D.

On EDM directory

-M-8 rockets with triple Rocket Launcher 4.5 inch.

-AN-M30A1 100lb bomb.

-AN-M57 250lb bomb

-AN-M55 1000lb bomb

-Drop tank 250 Gal

-Drop tank 108 Gal

-Drop tank 105 Gal

Other bombs (surelly to B-17 and other bombers)

-AN-M69 WP incendiary bomb

-Cluster Adapter, E6R2

I tried to show the pics you post in that roadmap thread in another thread and as a comment on one of the Tube videos, but sadly they aren't there anymore... you should try to get a place where you can have them up for a longer period of time twilightsmile.png

Anybody got any ideas about what I might be doing wrong?

If there a separate switch somewhere perhaps that acts as a master for this function?

Take a look ath the throttle lever's position - it shouldn't go fully forward without WEP. If you try to engage it, do so by keeping that button pressed while you advance the throttle. The button alone won't do it if modelled correctly. In the video I posted above you can also see the guy pushing some kind of stopper out of the way to get the throttle lever past the threshold. Might be the case ED has modelled that as well, similar to the fingerlifts in the Hornet. And if not, they definately should (as an option as well, of course for those who don't want to hold down two buttons to get there).

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Take a look ath the throttle lever's position - it shouldn't go fully forward without WEP. If you try to engage it, do so by keeping that button pressed while you advance the throttle. The button alone won't do it if modelled correctly. In the video I posted above you can also see the guy pushing some kind of stopper out of the way to get the throttle lever past the threshold. Might be the case ED has modelled that as well, similar to the fingerlifts in the Hornet. And if not, they definately should (as an option as well, of course for those who don't want to hold down two buttons to get there).

Thank You!

This sounds very similar to the "gate" type system that the early spitfires had to enable overboost when the 100 Octane fuel was introduced.

Now I understand :)

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

the prop animation....for the first time in the history of the simulation games it has been done properly! Thanks phil for pointing that out.

That's somewhat debatable. It's still more of a presentation of how camera sees the prop vs how naked eye sees the prop in reality, so the "animated properly" part depends on the question of subjective "cinematic" preference vs "realistic" preference.

The effect is subtle enough for me though, so I'm not bothered, but I understand those, who would rather see all DCS warbirds get rid of it (109 already did it seems).

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Phil's Comment on Propeller visuals

Phil,

Great presentation.

One area I would like to bring forward is your particular comments about the appearance of the propeller appearing to slow down and speed up going forward in image and retrogressing in image.

The human eye does not see this.

This is an affect of a difference in frames per second between digital recording and prop speed - or in the "old" days, a property of the difference between film frames per second going through the shutter and the speed of rotation of an object. For example, the appearance of wagon wheels going backwards then going forward normally when the wagon slows down.

Personally, I do not want to see this effect and think it is artificially done by the graphics guys just as they do the flare issue which is a camera effect and not a human eye one.

ps. please lock the tail wheel on take off and landing and only release it for turns. :)

Thanks again for your great presentation.

Cats . . .

Edited by Catseye

That's somewhat debatable. It's still more of a presentation of how camera sees the prop vs how naked eye sees the prop in reality, so the "animated properly" part depends on the question of subjective "cinematic" preference vs "realistic" preference.

The effect is subtle enough for me though, so I'm not bothered, but I understand those, who would rather see all DCS warbirds get rid of it (109 already did it seems).

true, you are totaly right. But I like it as it is now :)

Yup, I agree.

Perhaps they should have a tick for cinematic effects versus reality for a player's preference?

The concept of having a realistic sim is interesting - does it extend to graphics for examle or just the sim part?

Another reality part for me is the colour of the English channel. It is so far from realistic, for me, it takes away from the suspension of disbelief. (probably my usual contention with artists in general missing reality.) :)

Cheers

One area I would like to bring forward is your particular comments about the appearance of the propeller appearing to slow down and speed up going forward in image and retrogressing in image.

The human eye does not see this.[/Quote]

You mean this visual phenomenon called "cart wheel effect" in layman terms?

Where at specific speed the cart wheels starts looking that they slow down and even starts rotating opposite direction?

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

You mean this visual phenomenon called "cart wheel effect" in layman terms?

Where at specific speed the cart wheels starts looking that they slow down and even starts rotating opposite direction?

Yes, please read the next paragraph in my post.

Cheers

Another reality part for me is the colour of the English channel. It is so far from realistic, for me, it takes away from the suspension of disbelief. (probably my usual contention with artists in general missing reality.) :)

Cheers

Hey Casteye,

Due to the presence of Chalk sediments suspended in the water, the Channel has a really wide range of colours (depending on weather and time of day). The bright blue/torquoise colour you see on the DCS Map when the sky is blue and there is little to no cloud does occur in real life.

Changing the time of day and the cloud cover will dramatically alter the colour. So actually we can't really talk about the colour of the DCS channel, because it has a whole range of colours, as in real life.

Thin cloud, midday

https://i.imgur.com/MoGOi64.png

Medium thickness cloud, late afternoon :

https://i.imgur.com/aeeEFBp.png

Medium/light Cloud, mid morning:

https://i.imgur.com/tVyHhvA.png

Medium/ light cloud, early morning into sun:

https://i.imgur.com/IGkAefC.png

The DCS sea colours run the full gambit from grey/navy to torquoise and over to greens and yellows.

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

I wonder if another contributing factor to the “blue-er” water is the year? In 1943/44 would the blue be more prominent due to less pollution... even in a war-time state?

Just speculating... I have no idea?

Definately something to think of if you consider that the coronavirus lockdowns made a whole difference to how the sky looked even when they kicked in. Was a difference like day and night.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Just want to add my appreciation for your videos Phil,outstanding matey,and may I say,very much appreciated,hoping to get my hands on a jug very soon.

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

Hey Casteye,

Due to the presence of Chalk sediments suspended in the water, the Channel has a really wide range of colours (depending on weather and time of day). The bright blue/torquoise colour you see on the DCS Map when the sky is blue and there is little to no cloud does occur in real life.

Changing the time of day and the cloud cover will dramatically alter the colour. So actually we can't really talk about the colour of the DCS channel, because it has a whole range of colours, as in real life.

Thin cloud, midday

https://i.imgur.com/MoGOi64.png

Medium thickness cloud, late afternoon :

https://i.imgur.com/aeeEFBp.png

Medium/light Cloud, mid morning:

https://i.imgur.com/tVyHhvA.png

Medium/ light cloud, early morning into sun:

https://i.imgur.com/IGkAefC.png

The DCS sea colours run the full gambit from grey/navy to torquoise and over to greens and yellows.

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the feedback.

I only saw it cold and grey/brown at Dover and cleaner but still grey/dark green off the Netherlands. Halfway between England and France off Southampton also the grey/dark green colour. But, on reflection, south of Landsend and coming into Southhampton in 1953 it was certainly a gorgeous sea-green colour on a beautiful sunny day. (Lots of ships with just funnels and masts sticking out of the water getting to Southampton.) However, I think that the turquoise colour and clarity of the water is a little bit overdone. I recall how deep one can see when in the sub tropics mainly due to the azimuth of the sun. In the Northern Hemisphere, we are unfortunately not as blessed with the same light penetration due to the lower azimuth of the sun even in clear water.

Cheers,

Cats . . . .

Edited by Catseye

Yes, please read the next paragraph in my post.

Cheers

That phenomenon is visually experienced, it is not about visual recording devices causes effect.

The cameras frequency for it is different than human eye, but human eye can as well see ie. wheels speed alternating and starting to "roll backwards".

Air plane propellers starting to slow down, change direction etc is realistic.

Phil,

Great presentation.

The human eye does not see this.

I am stunned that you believe that. Next time you are in a passenger in some ones car watch the wheels of another car as you slow down from speed and pull up to traffic lights. A couple of years ago I watched a Lancaster start up I could easily see this affect in the props.

I am stunned that you believe that. Next time you are in a passenger in some ones car watch the wheels of another car as you slow down from speed and pull up to traffic lights. A couple of years ago I watched a Lancaster start up I could easily see this affect in the props.

I was noting the "wagon-wheel" effect which is a difference in rotation vs frame reference. The human eye does not have a frame reference. Film shutter speed and digital scanning do.

Speeding up and slowing down yes - I was less than clear - but not the wagon-wheel reversal.

I was noting the "wagon-wheel" effect which is a difference in rotation vs frame reference. The human eye does not have a frame reference. Film shutter speed and digital scanning do.

Speeding up and slowing down yes - I was less than clear - but not the wagon-wheel reversal.

You WILL see reverse rotation effect, it is not related only to optical devices capture.

That phenomenon is known before even cameras were invented, but not understood or measured and explained.

The first to observe the wagon-wheel effect under truly continuous illumination (such as from the sun) was Schouten (1967). He distinguished three forms of subjective stroboscopy which he called alpha, beta, and gamma:

Alpha stroboscopy occurs at 8–12 cycles per second; the wheel appears to become stationary, although "some sectors [spokes] look as though they are performing a hurdle race over the standing ones" (p. 48).

Beta stroboscopy occurs at 30–35 cycles per second: "The distinctness of the pattern has all but disappeared. At times a definite counterrotation is seen of a grayish striped pattern" (pp. 48–49).

Gamma stroboscopy occurs at 40–100 cycles per second: "The disk appears almost uniform except that at all sector frequencies a standing grayish pattern is seen ... in a quivery sort of standstill" (pp. 49–50).

Schouten interpreted beta stroboscopy, reversed rotation, as consistent with there being Reichardt detectors in the human visual system for encoding motion. Because the spoked wheel patterns he used (radial gratings) are regular, they can strongly stimulate detectors for the true rotation, but also weakly stimulate detectors for the reverse rotation.[/Quote]

If you are in a platform that vibrates, effect comes even more effective and often. And you sitting in an airplane, car or even front of a speaker that has transmitting vibrations to your eye, then effect becomes more often and effectively.

Even simple thing as humming vibrates your eyes to cause such visual effects.