A newby question

Hello!

A couple of days ago, I tested the Magnificent 8 for the first time in DCS with VR (I haven't bought it, it was displayed at a booth, so I went and flown it for a couple of minutes)

Since that was actually my first time ever flying a realistic heli sim, it wasn't very easy at first. But eventually I got used to it.

I got the hang of flying it, but what hit me the most was the landing (BTW, I have tested the sim 4 times, 1 of them was a ok landing, 2 of them were a crash, and 1 was a perfect landing)

When I lower the collective when landing, I notice the vibrations in the cockpit...and of course, there's a 50-50 chance of either land it and slam the gear, or "go-around" and try again.

I thought that the engine was "dying" on me...but I don't know what was it actually.

Can somebody explain me the vibration?

Thanks in advance!

Vibrations are normal on the Mi8, I belive is is called ground resonance effect (I might be wrong here).

But the reason you slam the gear is because you most likely enter into Vortex Ring Effect. Check manual for a full explanation of that.

Best way to avoid the vortex ring is to check your vertical speed, never be faster than -3m/s and under 50km/h altogether

| A-10C | MiG-21bis | Hawk T1.A | L-39 Albatros | F-5E | Ka-50 | Mi-8 | NTTR | CA | SU27 | M2000C | F-86F | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Mig 15 | Mig 19|

Specs

Intel i7-9700k

msi GTX 2060 Gaming Z

msi Z390 Gaming PLUS

16gb RAM

Hotas Warthog

you get vibration when transitioning into or out of translational lift.

when you move from dirty air to clean as you gain forward speed.

or clean air to dirty as you slow down.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Quadg is exactly right but should have said, "....when transitioning THROUGH transitional lift." I think that this little nod to realism is what makes this particular module the most realistic helicopter sim I have ever come across, not counting the few full motion Level D flight sims I have been in. Use that cue to let you know that you are now going to be needing more power to sustain flight as you have transitioned from fowrard flight into hovering flight and you will need to keep an eye on your vertical speed. Do not allow a descent to get much greater than about 3 meters per second without much forward speed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Tip.

To do a good landing in the MI 8, then look at the dial that show how many ft pr minute that you are dropping with ( how fast you decent )

Aim for a landing with max 200-300ft pr minute and you will walk away from any landing. ;-) ( its in the lower right side of the pilots instrument panel )

If you hear the heli "shaking" then nose down a bit or add more power and it goes away.

You mostly hear that sound if you decent to fast or is about to loose lift during landing.

But you can land faster and "harder" IF you practice and find the sweet spot where you fly forward while you pull back and then level out at the right time.

This require some practice.

PRO TIP for alle helicopters.

trim trim trim and trim some more... do not fight the helicopter, it should be almost like you can let go of your joystick and it fly it self.

Els you get tired during long flights.

Els i highly recommend the mi8 it fly really good, but you will die allot if you try to fight with it in a battle... think of it as being made of glass since a a single bullet from an infantry man can take out the heli.. ( ;-( a bit unrealistic i think )

Els the ka50 is also a really cool heli. ( and and soon ka50 3 will come with better defences and upgraded stuff of the heli ).

• 4 weeks later...

Knowing the physics of helicopters can really help you master it a lot quicker. These videos will help out a lot http://

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Are you ready to take your chopper flying skills to the next level?

Then check out http://www.blacksharkden.com/ Or visit us on Discord https://discord.gg/kaayJ5z and talk to some of our awesome pilots today.

The way I like to say it is to fly down and slow down. Don't stop and drop.:cry:

Especially from a good height, that takes to long and that's when you will descend to fast. Watch the decent rate like the others have said. If you try it you can fly down real fast, then slow up and land. With practice you can really throw this bird around. I've done my fair share of sling loading in this bird and it teaches you a lot about what not to do lol.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Hello!

A couple of days ago, I tested the Magnificent 8 for the first time in DCS with VR (I haven't bought it, it was displayed at a booth, so I went and flown it for a couple of minutes)

Since that was actually my first time ever flying a realistic heli sim, it wasn't very easy at first. But eventually I got used to it.

I got the hang of flying it, but what hit me the most was the landing (BTW, I have tested the sim 4 times, 1 of them was a ok landing, 2 of them were a crash, and 1 was a perfect landing)

When I lower the collective when landing, I notice the vibrations in the cockpit...and of course, there's a 50-50 chance of either land it and slam the gear, or "go-around" and try again.

I thought that the engine was "dying" on me...but I don't know what was it actually.

Can somebody explain me the vibration?

Thanks in advance!

Keep this 2 rules:

-never descend more than 4m/s under 40km/h airspeed

-keep same speed in km/h as altitude in radio altimeter in meters in flat land without wind when landing