What percenage of the user base uses VR?

Harlikwin

What percenage of the user base uses VR?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. What percenage of the user base uses VR?

• VR all the way!
    • Flat Screen here!

I'm curious, anyone know what percentage of the user base uses VR for DCS? I imagine at this point its gotta be a double digit percentage, but I'm curious if ED keeps stats on it?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I'm curious, anyone know what percentage of the user base uses VR for DCS?

Nice Poll ... but too binary ... I use VR, but not all the time. When editing missions I prefer to use 2D while editing and testing, changing to VR only once it is done.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Can’t vote as I use both

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Interesting poll but with high risk to be biased in favor of VR users (at the beginning at least).

- VR users have more interest to participate

- But as soon as the thread will not be visible in the top, could be reversed because VR users tends to focus on their dedicated part of the forum.

I'll probably try to do it soon but I am more curious about the increase of activity in the VR part of the forum, numbers of distinct registred users to extract the VR trend along the years. Growth for sure but in which extend...

i7 12700k, RTX 3080ti, 64GB RAM, M.2 512Go, Quest 2

(Sigh) I see the thread has been moved to the VR forum , which makes the poll useless , as mostly only VR users will see it :(

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

To what end, though? What does this help uncover or clarify?

To satisfy my personal curiosity. :thumbup:

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

(Sigh) I see the thread has been moved to the VR forum , which makes the poll useless , as mostly only VR users will see it :(

I have contacted @bignewy to move it back.

Because you are right.

Nice Poll ... but too binary ... I use VR, but not all the time. When editing missions I prefer to use 2D while editing and testing, changing to VR only once it is done.

Hm, I wonder if I can edit the poll to add a both option. I actually also do this, but when I fly its in VR.

VR only for me.

No pancake only games reside on my system any longer.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I suspect less than 10% of actual players frequent these boards or reddit etc in total.

It’s even smaller than that. There are a few games where you can see the total number of players, for example on Steam, and compare to number of forum members. Since DCS World is free it’s really hard to figure who the genuine players are though.

A poll on the forums only samples enthusiasts so it’s results are rather skewed.

ED no doubt already knows the answer to this question.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

It’s even smaller than that. There are a few games where you can see the total number of players, for example on Steam, and compare to number of forum members. Since DCS World is free it’s really hard to figure who the genuine players are though.

A poll on the forums only samples enthusiasts so it’s results are rather skewed.

ED no doubt already knows the answer to this question.

And you do not know.

I am pretty sure the percentage of users using VR in flight sims is likely somewhat higher than the percentage of VR users for overall PC gaming.

But we certainly do not know what those percentages are unless developers like ED were to share that information.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

But we certainly do not know what those percentages are unless developers like ED were to share that information.

How would ED be able to know this?

(No sarcasm, honest question)

Oh and by moving this poll to the VR sub-forum, it became useless and might just as well been deleted. @moderator, please move it back.

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Steam can track your activity and track if you are using VR or not. Presumably the standalone game can report back to ED, which it does for your product Keys and whatnot if you are using VR or maybe what your system specs are.

I would assume ED knows, and if they want to give us the number it would be interesting to know. If they don't we have this rather unscientific poll.

I believe that we have high VR users as we are most optimal target audience next to driving simulators. But outside our niche group, one digit and likely under 2%.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Yeah it is obviously enough for ED to continue to support and expand on.

Don B

Even amongst specific PC gamers (Steam users as surveyed) isn't it currently less than 1% ?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/265018/proportion-of-directx-versions-on-the-platform-steam/

I would count console players too. And be very positive with it ;)

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I am pretty sure the percentage of users using VR in flight sims is likely somewhat higher than the percentage of VR users for overall PC gaming.

That’s a safe assumption. The overall PC gaming number is about 1-2%. I’m sure games like flight and racing sims are higher than that.

I would count console players too. And be very positive with it ;)

PSVR is a 4% attach rate to the PS4

Xbox is 0% it has no VR

The game has a persistent connection so I’m sure this telemetry could tell them anything about the game they need to know.

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

The upcoming Steam Half-Life: Alyx game will probably do more to push VR hardware to gamers than all other previous VR games combined. It will be interesting to see the Steam Hardware Survey a few months after Alyx drops.

This can only be a good thing.

I play DCS/IL2 and iRacing in VR exclusively, and they'll always be niche entertainment. The more the mainstream buys into VR, the better for us.

PC - 3900X - Asus Crosshair Hero VIII - NZXT Kraken 63 - 32 GB RAM - 2080ti - SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe - Alienware UW - Windows 10

Sim hardware - Warthog throttle - VKB Gunfighter III - CH Quadrant - Slaw Device Pedals - Obutto R3volution pit - HP Reverb G2 - 2X AuraSound shakers

The upcoming Steam Half-Life: Alyx game will probably do more to push VR hardware to gamers than all other previous VR games combined. It will be interesting to see the Steam Hardware Survey a few months after Alyx drops.

This can only be a good thing.

I play DCS/IL2 and iRacing in VR exclusively, and they'll always be niche entertainment. The more the mainstream buys into VR, the better for us.

Yeah Valve has been sold out of the Index ever since that announcement of the new Half Life Alyx.

I will be all over it, as while flight sims are my main priority I still enjoy several Touch supported games.

Very good thing for VR.

Don B