New GME software

sedenion

Did we lose your github?

Sadly, yes ... here is more info: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=217736

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’m just getting into OVGME, and am wondering about a couple of things.

I have a file called _MODS. it has all of my mods in it. In JSGME, there were some that couldn’t be activated if they interfered with some other mod. How does OVGME handle this, if everything in _MODS has been enabled? Can I open _MODS, and enable some and not others? If so, how do I do that?

This _MODS file is the same one I used with JSGME. Is that a problem?

Thanks

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

Can I open _MODS, and enable some and not others? If so, how do I do that?

I'm not sure about the answers for your other questions, but you can enable only some and leave out others.

Either you enable them one by one with the buttons below the MODS list in OvGME, or you create profiles in one of the menus. To create a profile, just activate what you want manually and leave everything else not activated, and save as a new profile. Repeat for any additional profile. Just select a profile and MODS will be loaded and disabled accordingly.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

I asked about these mod file conflicts a while ago. JSGME keeps track of the conflicts, and can uninstall them correctly. From what I remember, GSGME does not do that. You can enable them both, but I don't think it will correctly restore the original stock game file that were in conflict.

I don't install conflicting mods with GSGME. If you do, you can always do a Repair.

Sent from my Moto Z Play using Tapatalk

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

Question if you have several profiles with different files enabled does that work ? Like one for static mods and one for ac skins and one for other. Mods

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Question if you have several profiles with different files enabled does that work ? Like one for static mods and one for ac skins and one for other. Mods

Hello,

OvGME profiles are meant as a way of quickly enable/disable a particular set of Mods ... for example I have a Profile for enabling those Mods that are compatible with Multiplayer (that is, they dont break the Integrity Check of DCS), and another profile for enabling the Mods that I use when flying solo:

koW57SI.jpg

You cant have more than one profile enabled at a time, so it isnt a way to classify Mods.

One more thing: In my opinion, Liveries are not really Mods ... they used to require Mod tools because they had to be put within the DCS program folders; but now that they can just sit on your Saved Games folder, they dont require a Mod Manager anymore, thus I have all the custom liveries available all the time, never needing to disable them.

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

new mirror for OvGME

I have put together a new mirror for OvGME which includes source and binaries. I also found a copy of ModManager and attached that as well.

It will not be going anywhere. If someone wants to fork and take over active development, let me know and I will transfer to you as long as we have Sedenion's approval.

https://github.com/Have-Purple/ovgme

• 2 weeks later...

So i got myself a new 500gb SSD and yes, i am aware total bytes written is practically never an issue for normal dudes, but i still wonder whether OvGME moves or copies mods and backups when activating/deactivating mods or entire profiles when DCS and the OvGME's mod folder are located on the same drive.

Right now, i have DCS on my new SSD and the mods folder from which OvGME pulls the mods as well as the backup folder are located on my old hdd. Thus, enabling/disabling of mods must be a copying action which means writing to the SSD every time. Fair enough since its different drives.

But if both DCS and the mods and backup folders are located on the same drive, is OvGME just moving things around instead of copying them? I.e. no new writing operations to the NAND and less wear on the SSD?

But if both DCS and the mods and backup folders are located on the same drive, is OvGME just moving things around instead of copying them? I.e. no new writing operations to the NAND and less wear on the SSD?

I’m pretty sure that it first copies the DCS files to backup and then copies the mods files in their place, overwritting them. Also, since most self-respecting mods are zipped, OvGME first uncompressed the Mods using up the Windows TEMP location.

If I were to worry about my SSD’s wear, I would first look into the most frequently used files: the windows pagefile, the hibernation file and the TEMP files location, rather than Mods wich are deactivated/reactivated once every two weeks (during DCS updates) :)

Best regards

All My Mods respect themselves. And are not zipped.

And the first thing you should do to protect your SSD's life is to disable any Auto Defragging. It's unnecessary..

Sent from my Moto Z Play using Tapatalk

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

OvGME behaves as follow:

Mod installation:

1 - Backup: Copy original files to backup

2 - Apply:

- if Zip: Extract files to destination (overwrite original files, no TEMP used)

- if Folder: Copy files to destination (overwrite original files)

Mod uninstall:

1 - Restore: Copy files from backup to destination (overwrite files)

File copy is always performed using the CopyFileW() WinAPI function.

Edited by sedenion

OvGME behaves as follow:

Thanks for clearing this up ... and glad to see you here :)

Cheers.

Thanks for the detailed answer. So is there any benefit that i don't see to always use copy instead of move?

Provided everything happens on the same drive:

First, it should be a lot faster to simply move all the original files when backing up and the same goes for enabling/"applying" the modded content. And, a lot of mods don't even replace original files but simply add new files or entirely new folders. Less writing ops means less room for errors and its faster.

.. I haven't figured out how to handle those (few) mods going to /saved games/dcs instead of dcs game directory.

Is there a way to set destinstion for a certain mod?

Yes, you just setup two Configs, one points to Program Files:

7zPOMBz.png

and the other points to Saved Games:

sE7LkUf.png

:D

.. First, it should be a lot faster to simply move all the original files when backing up and the same goes for enabling/"applying" the modded content.

I really dont get it ... OvGME is really fast at activating/deactivating Mods, and it is a task that you have to perform every two weeks, when DCS gets its regular update ... Why the need to further optimize it?

Rudel, its fine as it is. Take it as constructive criticism. Many devs are looking for feedback or ideas to further enhance or refine their work. Would OvGME maybe even better if it was capable of deciding whether to simply move or whether to copy? Probably. Would adding this be worth the time and effort, maybe not. Not my decision to make. I am just trying to point out that there might be some benefits to it. It is a great tool and really makes ones live easier.

Rudel, its fine as it is. Take it as constructive criticism. Many devs are looking for feedback or ideas to further enhance or refine their work.

Unfortunately Sedenion, the developer of OvGME, is not updating this utility anymore, so I consider myself lucky that this software still works perfectly and that its author has allowed the DCS Community to keep it hosted on alternative servers ... more info here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3592395&postcount=17

Best regards

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to using 1.73. Does anyone have 1.74 that they can upload or send to me as a PM?

thanks

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

I seem to using 1.73. Does anyone have 1.74 that they can upload or send to me as a PM?

You can download v1.74 from here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3677354&postcount=684

Rudel_chw

I am not sure but this version of 1.74 does not seem to have an exe file. Not sure what to do with this download after I unzipped it.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

I am not sure but this version of 1.74 does not seem to have an exe file. Not sure what to do with this download after I unzipped it.

Yes, GitHub isnt the most friendly website, but it does have this link to the installer:

https://github.com/Have-Purple/ovgme/releases/download/1.7.4/ovgme_1_7_4_setup_64.zip

:)

Rudel_ch

Got it. Thanks. this is the best free mod for DCS.. Too bad he stopped developing it and deleted all his sites.