Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

Anyone suffering from micro disconnection of the Rift S built in mic? When I open Vaicom pro I can see a little mic icon flashing red ocassionally telling that the mic is not recognized, this is very random.

Then the other day my mic was completely gone and Ihad to unplug the USB and plug it to a different USB in order to be recognized again.

I'm not sure if its an early bug solved by software or it could be a faulty unit.

Google it, you will find many others experiencing loss of the Rift S Mic. In my experience it seems to drop out during startup and/or shutdown of the Oculus software. If I unplug the USB and get the mic to come back, it stays active showing bars of volume response through multiple computer reboots. But once I start using the Rift S (particularly with DCS World, and even moreso when I run VAICOM), the mic randomly drops out and will never work again until I unplug the USB.

I put in a ticket with Oculus. They are of little help, mostly suggesting that I try things that I have already done. I gave up replying to their emails. Please file a ticket, too. Maybe if they get enough support tickets on this, they will actually bother to find the problem instead of assuming its an end user problem. This never happened with the original Oculus Rift. So, I think one of three things is going on here: hardware problem with the Rift S design that is probably unfixable, firmware problem, or driver problem. Two out of three should be readily fixable by Oculus if they would admit they have a problem.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I generally have had enough beta testing in my lifetime at work and at home. I wait for release versions... and even then some show stopping bugs get through. DCS World is pretty much the only thing I run the beta version, and even then I held out from doing that until 2.5 was almost ready for release.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The latest beta for Oculus Home fixes a lot of issues with S though, so I would recommend flip that "Beta" switch on.

I'm still getting stutters when using BETA drivers...so, not for me for the time being.

HP Reverb, Intel I7 9700K, Zotac GTX 2080Ti, 32GB Ram @4000Mhz Corsair, SDD M.2 500GB Samsung 970 PRO

The only cons for me with the latest PTC Update is that my hand controllers tracking is way worse than before, i get still the sporadic white flashes and i can't hear any sound improvements. But the headset sound is not that important for me.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

The only cons for me with the latest PTC Update is that my hand controllers tracking is way worse than before, i get still the sporadic white flashes and i can't hear any sound improvements. But the headset sound is not that important for me.

That is odd my hand tracking seemed improved.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Is it safe to update to Windows 10 Version 1903? Have the issues been resolved

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

What issues? I am on 1903 and have not noticed any.

apparently issues with sound, mic drop outs?

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

apparently issues with sound, mic drop outs?

There was an issue with some sounds not playing in Oculus Home in 1903, however that was fixed in a Windows update shortly afterwards.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

There was an issue with some sounds not playing in Oculus Home in 1903, however that was fixed in a Windows update shortly afterwards.

Thanks, guess i'll let windows update

Thanks, guess i'll let windows update

One way or the other, you're going to get it. ;) Fighting the Borg is futile. :smilewink:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I just got the 1.38 update with the firmware update. My mic hasn't dropped out yet. Maybe that fixed it. Before it would drop out every other time I entered /exited DCS World with VR enabled, especially if I was using VAICOM.

Belay my last. Just checked Rift S mic not responding. Normal headset mic working perfectly.

Edited by streakeagle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I just got the 1.38 update with the firmware update. My mic hasn't dropped out yet. Maybe that fixed it. Before it would drop out every other time I entered /exited DCS World with VR enabled, especially if I was using VAICOM.

Belay my last. Just checked Rift S mic not responding. Normal headset mic working perfectly.

I have been lucky so far with my Rift S mic <knocking on wood>.

Don B

It is a strange problem. I found hits on google that indicate many people are suffering the same issue. As posted above, it may be related to the operating system at a specific patch level. I would even guess that it is possibly unique to a particular hardware/driver combination.

My work around for now is to wear the headset I use for TrackIR, then put on the Rift S headset, which more or less fits over it. This kills two birds with one stone: the intermittent mic and the issues with the open speaker audio of the Rift S headset. But it is much more comfortable to just wear and use the Rift S.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sir: I noticed in your specs u have hands on stick, throttle.. how does VR allow use or do you just keeps hands on to use?

CyStryker

I am not sure what the nature of your question is, but I am using real world cockpit controls including a HOTAS and rudder pedals. In VR, if you use the "show pilot body" button for aircraft that have pilot bodies, the virtual pilot keeps his hands on the stick and throttle no matter what your real hands are doing.

I don't have the special VR capto gloves, but as I understand it, there is an option to have the VR pilot's arms move to match the position of your capto glove hands. If that technology matures and works well, I want something like capto gloves.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sir: I noticed in your specs u have hands on stick, throttle.. how does VR allow use or do you just keeps hands on to use?

CyStryker

I doubt anyone would choose to use VR controllers over the tactile feel of an actual hotas.

Buttons do what buttons always have done.

I don't even use controllers for clicking in cockpit , I find a mouse is a far quicker interface than that, and a track ball Is even better.

Especially for scrolling dials.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

I doubt anyone would choose to use VR controllers over the tactile feel of an actual hotas.

Buttons do what buttons always have done.

I don't even use controllers for clicking in cockpit , I find a mouse is a far quicker interface than that, and a track ball Is even better.

Especially for scrolling dials.

+1 on the trackball !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2