A-10C Basic Flight Training Qualification DLC

The campaign was originally created in 2012 so over 5 years ago. I expect that some information has changed since then.

I'll add your report on the SA-9 RWR information to our update list and we can make a doc change the next time we update the campaign.

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

We debated how challenging to make the missions and in the end decided the FE should be a right SOB and won't accept anything but perfection.

A bit unrealistic perhaps but we can guarantee you will remember the checklist after failing a number of times.

For me it was the Pitot Heat switch. I never forget it now. :thumbup:

Tks Sabre,

I will give it a try, again... LOL

As you said, a bit unrealistic. Every single check ride has "windows" and, for the americans, most of it is listed on the PTS - Practical Test Standards - and the student may make certain mistakes without being "flunked".

Anyway, at my age, I avoid flying with a SOB, if I can... I am too old for this sh...t! LOL

If the FE is a SOB, the hell with him... LOL

All the best,

Sydy

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem, Sabre. On the second go around, and you get the IAF from tower, when you reach the IAF you're (as you should be) like 10nm from runway at 2500ft. If you follow the ILS glideslope properly, the FE barks at you for not staying at pattern altitude, even though at that point, you're like 7nm from runway, and need to be below 2500ft to remain on glideslope. Then the FE outright fails you for not maintaining the pattern altitude.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the extra 200 feet on your altimeter if you don't change your altimeter pressure thing to zero it out at beginning of mission, per the tower's indication of QFE. I think the tower says to make it 2965, and it's initially set to 2992, and your altimeter shows around 200 feet when you're on the ground.

This is a show-stopper for me, as I can't pass the mission.

I"ll refly and attach track.

Also, I've had this capaign for a looong time -- maybe I need to re-download it? I think it says it's version 1.5? I've got a copy of my logbook saved after passing the previous mission -- if I re-install campaign, and then use that logbook, will I be ready to go for Mission #9, or will I have to start over?!

BBQ

BFT-09

During training touch an go using the ILS APP everything is fine.

When doing the ILS APP after the go around following the glideslop lets the FE abort the training.

During the Check Ride same issue, plus the problem, that the FE says lets check your shutdown procedure and then nothing happens.

Cheers Sven

Edited by BBQ

Track attached

Actually, on this one, I was able to land without getting told to abort/failure from the FE. But you can still see how he barks at me when I don't maintain pattern altitude, but clearly need to descend per the glideslope. Also, you'll notice at the end of mission, he is rating me while he is still checking my shutdown procedure.

Download Track file

You should ensure you QFE is set properly as you don't want to have less altitude than you think.

I believe we had the pattern trigger coded to be removed after you are cleared for landing.

Leaving the pattern early to follow the glideslope could put you in a mid-air with departing aircraft.

You should still have sufficient distance to get down to the glideslope to make the landing once you are cleared.

If the triggers are not acting as expected do a DCS Repair or upgrade your video card drivers. Some folks have reported that the triggers at times get messed up and those actions fixed them.

We will check the triggers again and retest to see if any improvements can be made.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you hear this message before making your attempt:

"Good. Both engines are off.

Now steer towards the Emergency Divert Airfield identified in the briefing and attempt to land on the runway.

I have cleared your landing attempt with the local authorities.

The Hard Deck Restriction is terminated.

If you can't manage a safe landing, you are authorized to eject.

Good luck!"

There is a trigger that will indicate if you are outside the landing zone (beyond the runway) that fires if the above message is heard.

• 1 month later...
You can play the missions individually by going to the Missions menu tab and then changing the directory to point at the /Mods/campaigns folder.

Alternatively you can manually edit your logbook and pick a different stage. Here are some instructions to do that:

You can manually set the campaign stage in your logbook file. If you don't have it, download and install Notepad++. This editor allows for proper editing of lua files. Make a backup copy before you do any manual editing just in case.

To change the campaign stage look for a file called: <Drive>:\Users\<your userid>\Saved Games\DCS\MissionEditor\logbook.lua

You can change the stage here:

["games"] =

{

[1] = <--- This is the campaign number in your set

{

["created"] = "01/03/16 21:50:09",

["player"] = "Player Name",

["campaign"] = ".\\Mods\\aircraft\\A-10C\\Missions\\en\\Campaigns/A-10C - Basic Flight Training Qualification.cmp", <--- This is the campaign name

["status"] = "Active",

["history"] =

{

[1] = <--- This is the number of the first mission in the campaign and below is it's result

{

["datetime"] = "01/03/16 21:52:16",

["agKills"] = 0,

["aaKills"] = 0,

["stage"] = 1,

["deathsCount"] = 0,

["result"] = 100,

["mission"] = "A-10C - BFT Arrival.miz",

}, -- end of [1]

[2] = <--- Look for the highest number in the set - this will be the next mission to launch

{

["stage"] = 13, <--- Change the stage to 1 more than the BFT mission number

["mission"] = "A-10C - BFT12 Low Level Flight Plan.miz", <--- Change the name of the mission

}, -- end of [2]

}, -- end of ["history"]

}, -- end of [1]

}, -- end of ["games"]

Reply if you continue to have problems.

I checked. There is NOTHING in the /Mods/campaigns folder. Due to the insane short time frame for shut down I would like to move on to the next mission. And prefer not to screw around with any .lua files. What do you suggest?

FOUND THEM. I was looking in the USER files and not in the ED file on the C: drive. Never mind ;)

Edited by lasvideo

Win 10 I7 6700K @ 4.0 GHZ. 16 gig memory GTX 1070 SSD

• 2 weeks later...

I am at mission 08, the one about ILS landing.

It is my 5th attempt and "smart" instructor keeps saying to terminate. And I am not new with ILS landings.

Most of the fails are due (I guess) to the crosswind making me drift from the trigger zone. I can only guess because following heading 300 I find myself lost on the sea and the supreme instructor doesn't like a change of course.

Is there a way to force the system to make it complete? Really after 2hrs I can't take it anymore and I am scared to hear that terminate again

Edited by Bersagliere81

| A-10C | MiG-21bis | Hawk T1.A | L-39 Albatros | F-5E | Ka-50 | Mi-8 | NTTR | CA | SU27 | M2000C | F-86F | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Mig 15 | Mig 19|

Specs

Intel i7-9700k

msi GTX 2060 Gaming Z

msi Z390 Gaming PLUS

16gb RAM

Hotas Warthog

Thank you I'll give it a try later.

The message is somehow "terminate, terminate" and something. I can't remember the words but they are related to the fact my heading was off course on the downwind leg.

As I said my heading was correct, it was the crosswind making me drift far above the sea without nothing happening. I can only suppose this because looking at the flight plan on TAD, My position is sensibly off the line. But my course is always 300 as required.

The terminate message appears when I head back to the vector provided by Batumi.

Just for reference, I can't remember values, but using tacan once I was 30nm from batumi, and inbound vector was 170 from me.

Failures are nothing related to the ILS landing itself.

One of the times it made me fail was also speed. I was going 280 instead of 260 ("only" 20 of difference). No warnings were given

If I feel brave enough, I'll make a video

Edited by Bersagliere81

| A-10C | MiG-21bis | Hawk T1.A | L-39 Albatros | F-5E | Ka-50 | Mi-8 | NTTR | CA | SU27 | M2000C | F-86F | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Mig 15 | Mig 19|

Specs

Intel i7-9700k

msi GTX 2060 Gaming Z

msi Z390 Gaming PLUS

16gb RAM

Hotas Warthog

To succeed the mission you need to stay aligned with the flight plan on your TAD. With the crosswind, your nose will deviate and the FE will start yelling at you but feel free to just ignore him.

As far as speed is concerned, it's totally normal if you fail when you go 20 kts above the requested speed. 20 kts is a lot in professional aviation standards. You won't even pass your CPL if you go 280 when the FE asks for 260. Try to stay within 10 kts of the target speed.

Edited by Nooch

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I can understand the 20 limit but it looked weird. In other situations I wasn't paying enough attention and went far over the 20 limit. Nothing happened or I just had a warning

Specs

Intel i7-9700k

msi GTX 2060 Gaming Z

msi Z390 Gaming PLUS

16gb RAM

Hotas Warthog

I can understand the 20 limit but it looked weird. In other situations I wasn't paying enough attention and went far over the 20 limit. Nothing happened or I just had a warning

That's right, the FE is quite unpredictable in these missions. Sometimes he gives you warnings at the appropriate time and sometimes not.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

FE is quite unpredictable

FE is a yelling noobzilla :)

Specs

Intel i7-9700k

msi GTX 2060 Gaming Z

msi Z390 Gaming PLUS

16gb RAM

Hotas Warthog

There is definitely something wrong. I patiently gave it a try (6th attempt) and FE made it fail again.

This time I managed to follow flight plan and everything.

Task was heading 300 angels 7 at 260 knots. I just started turning and he didn't like the altitude. As you can see in the screenshot, everything is just fine (screenshot is taken few seconds aftwerwards. It was 6980 feets when he complained).

The exact position is after 1st landing (touch and go), just at the beginning of downwind leg.

Unfortunately I am forced to edit the mission as suggested, I am done with 6 fails in a row . At this time I could happily be even on AATQ campaign.

Screenshot attached as proof

EDIT - please Sabre-TLA can you provide me a mail where I can send you the .lua file? I am having no success editing it and I can't see what I am doing wrong

Screen_171024_203218.thumb.jpg.085403b7613f7e3f9c9daf81ef2b5834.jpg

Edited by Bersagliere81

Specs

Intel i7-9700k

msi GTX 2060 Gaming Z

msi Z390 Gaming PLUS

16gb RAM

Hotas Warthog

We will retest the mission in case something has changed in the game engine to impact the altitude levels.

I noticed you have your altimeter set to 2992. If you set your altimeter based on the pressure setting given by the ATC at take off or when vectored for a landing you should be flying at the altitude the FE expects and what is programmed into the mission.

If you leave it at 2992 you can verify the altitude you would need to fly at by viewing the waypoint information in the CDU and + or - the 100' or 200' qualification zone ranges.

This is even more pronounced at an airport like Vaziani where the initial altimeter setting is ~1800' above sea level so an 8000' altitude is shown as 9800' in the CDU if you don't change your altimeter setting based on the ATC recommended value.

So you have a choice, you can fly at the level the FE recommends using the ATC altimeter setting or fly at the altitude indicated on the CDU Waypoint page if flying with a setting of 2992. Both should ensure you are in the correct altitude block.

Our understanding is you set 2992 above the Transition Altitude and set to the ATC given altimeter setting when below that.

Here are some references that discuss the Transition Altitude and the specific settings for Batumi.

In North America it's less of an issue as the Transition Altitude is fixed at 18000'.

Maybe some European pilots can chime in and clarify this point better.

The QFE has never been touched (I am still understanding the mechanics behind it, but isn't 2992 sea level? Batumi is right next to it).

Also, I would dare to say looking at the hud, the flight pattern indicated by the CDU is at the same level.

Specs

Intel i7-9700k

msi GTX 2060 Gaming Z

msi Z390 Gaming PLUS

16gb RAM

Hotas Warthog

Actually I now recall that I did encounter the same problem. The FE told me I was off altitude but it got quickly fixed by setting the altimeter setting to 2889 I think it was. The QFE for your departure airport should be displayed at the bottom of your briefing window along with the frequencies. Hope this helps.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]