Kneeboard Builder (windows app)

AlaskanGrizzly

The program will not start immediately after the update, is that correct? If the program does not want to start right after an update, delete the 'settings.xml' and 'KneeboardBuilder.exe.config' files and try starting it again. You will then need to verify your directory settings in Options -> Preferences.

For some reason, sometimes it doesn't like to use the current user settings after an update. Let me know if that was the problem.

eyusuf: This might fix your problem as well after the latest update.

Indeed that worked. In fact it seemed to have 'remembered' the settings even though I deleted those files as you instructed. It rebuilt the 'kneeboardBuilder.exe.config' file, but did not rebuild the 'settings.xml' file. Perhaps it read it from the registry. It appears to be running fine without the 'settings.xml' file.

You might want to put those instructions in the readme file, troubleshooting section, for those experiencing the same problem

Edited by eyusuf

Indeed that worked. In fact it seemed to have 'remembered' the settings even though I deleted those files as you instructed. It rebuilt the 'kneeboardBuilder.exe.config' file, but did not rebuild the 'settings.xml' file. Perhaps it read it from the registry. It appears to be running fine without the 'settings.xml' file.

You might want to put those instructions in the readme file, troubleshooting section, for those experiencing the same problem

Thanks for your help. The 'settings.xml' is only there during an update to help it remember the settings and is automatically removed if things go right after an update. I have added this info to the first post and will add it to the readme too.

Version 1.4.3.0 Now Available

Version 1.4.3.0 is now available.

This version should fix the issue many were having where the program would refuse to start after and update has been completed. I appreciate the bug reports you all have been sending me and I apologize for any inconvenience caused by the instability of the previous update.

VERSION 1.4.3.0 Changelog:

-fixed issue of program not starting after updating

Version 1.4.3.0 is now available.

This version should fix the issue many were having where the program would refuse to start after and update has been completed. I appreciate the bug reports you all have been sending me and I apologize for any inconvenience caused by the instability of the previous update.

VERSION 1.4.3.0 Changelog:

-fixed issue of program not starting after updating

Hello again Grizzly. I think you'll find this interesting. :book:

I had checked the 'run as administrator' in the Compatibility tab of properties of 'KneeboardBuilder.exe' file.

As soon as I UNCHECKED this it allows me drag and drop files as well as update and RUN normally .... it appears to be some sort of UAC thing.

Hello again Grizzly. I think you'll find this interesting. :book:

I had checked the 'run as administrator' in the Compatibility tab of properties of 'KneeboardBuilder.exe' file.

As soon as I UNCHECKED this it allows me drag and drop files as well as update and RUN normally .... it appears to be some sort of UAC thing.

Thanks for figuring that out. I just tried it on my end as well and it did the same thing. I will look into why it is doing that.

Version 1.4.4.0 Now Available

Version 1.4.4.0 is now available.

VERSION 1.4.4.0 Changelog:

-fixed folder paths to match new folder structure in DCS World 1.2.10.32095 Update 1

-added option in 'Preferences' to use old folder structure for DCS World versions prior to DCS World 1.2.10.32095 Update 1

PLEASE NOTE:

The kneeboard folder system for the MiG-21Bis works differently than the other modules, therefore the Mig-21 kneeboard setup by this program will not work in DCS yet. I am working on incorporating the differences into the program.

Edited by AlaskanGrizzly

Version 1.5.1.0 Released

Version 1.5.1.0 is now available.

VERSION 1.5.1.0 CHANGELOG:

-fixes kneeboard init.lua for MiG-21BIS to make it see custom kneeboard in .../Saved Games/DCS/Kneeboard folder

-added ability to choose between modifying Mig-21BIS default and custom kneeboards

-available aircraft now listed in alphabetical order

Version 1.5.1.0 is now available.

VERSION 1.5.1.0 CHANGELOG:

-fixes kneeboard init.lua for MiG-21BIS to make it see custom kneeboard in .../Saved Games/DCS/Kneeboard folder

-added ability to choose between modifying Mig-21BIS default and custom kneeboards

-available aircraft now listed in alphabetical order

does it mean that this version will find and then modify that lua file?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 3TB SSD |

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

I didn´t try this yet, but maybe someone can answer me a question:

Is it possible to display more than one Kneeboard or at least create Kneeboard pages bigger than the default Kneeboard in DCS?

The reason why I ask: I have a 2nd screen here with 2 Cougar MFDs on it. When I fly the KA-50 and the A-10 they serve a good purpose. But for other Aircrafts like the Huey or the Sabre, I use the MFD buttons for some cockpit buttons. Having 2 Kneeboards or at least one bigger one placed right behind the MFDs would allow to show the Key -> Button assignments in the MFDs. Like a replacement of the inlets you normally use on the Cougar MFDs for stuff like that :-)

Is it possible to display more than one Kneeboard or at least create Kneeboard pages bigger than the default Kneeboard in DCS?

I don't think you can have two kneeboards, but you can change the size of the kneeboard. There is a feature in my program that helps you with that under Options -> Kneeboard Settings -> Size and Position.

• Like 1

Hi Grizzly,

I tried to use your application but ran into some issues :

- at first I started importing specific pages from the pdf manual and created a kneeboard for the P51. However, since many of these pdf pages needed some process, i started manipulating their saved png counterparts with MS paint, only to find out that the saved changes were lost if i switched between kneeboards. I tried to import manually .png files but the application wouldn't accept them, it seems that it imports only pdfs. A complete custom kneeboard would usually have more than one sources of input, i.e. besides pages of the pdf manual, some users would like to create copies of keyboard binds, procedures, etc, which would be made by using printscreen and save as image. Do you think you could modify the software in order to accept manual import of jpegs, pngs, etc directly into an existing custom kneeboard and merging them?

- How does the custom kneeboard images work in conjuction with the built-in ones for a mission? Are all images available or some only, and at what order of appearance? If a user creates a custom kneeboard, would this be unavailable if he were to fly a mission in multiplayer?? (replaced by the mission designer's one?).

sorry if these questions have already been answered in previous parts of the thread, no time to go through all posts

great mod

thanks a lot for putting this together

Edited by airdoc

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time.

Thanks for your questions airdoc. Sorry for the confusion, I have not had a chance to write the manual or make any tutorials yet.

since many of these pdf pages needed some process, i started manipulating their saved png counterparts with MS paint, only to find out that the saved changes were lost if i switched between kneeboards.

If you want to make modifications to an image, you need to modify the images in the 'Import Groups Folder' not the 'Custom Kneeboard Folders'

To go to the 'Import Groups Folder', in the menu bar click on 'View -> Import Groups Folder'. This is the permanant location for the imported images and where the images are copied from when creating a Custom Kneeboard.

The 'Custom Kneeboard Folders' are only temporary as they are changed anytime you clear or build kneeboards. These folders are where DCS looks to build the kneeboards within the simulation.

I hope that makes sense.

Do you think you could modify the software in order to accept manual import of jpegs, pngs, etc directly into an existing custom kneeboard and merging them?

There is already a feature that allows the import of image files, although it is located in a different area than the .pdf import.

To import custom images:

1) Click on the 'Create Custom Kneeboard' tab

2) Click on an 'Available Group' that you want to add your custom images or add a new group by clicking on the 'New' button

3) With your group selected click on the 'Modify' button. This will open the group modify dialog.

4) To import your images to the group, click on the 'Import Images' button.

5) Navigate to and select the images you want to import. You can select multiple images at once.

6) Click on the 'Open' button

7) Reorder the images to your liking by clicking on an image and using the 'up' and 'down' arrow buttons on the left of the dialog. You can remove images by clicking the checkbox to to the left of the image name and click on the 'Removed Checked' button.

8) Click on 'Save' and your images will be renamed to match the group and place them in the correct order within the group.

How does the custom kneeboard images work in conjuction with the built-in ones for a mission? Are all images available or some only, and at what order of appearance? If a user creates a custom kneeboard, would this be unavailable if he were to fly a mission in multiplayer?? (replaced by the mission designer's one?).

There are basically five kneeboard types:

1) Semi-Interactive Maps

-cannot be modified

-visible in all aircraft

2) Default Kneeboard

-images pulled from 'Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Bazar\Terrain\Kneeboard' directory

-contains the aerodrome charts by default

-images visible in all aircraft

-any images saved in this folder are lost when DCS World is updated or repaired

3) General Custom Kneeboard (called 'General DCS World Kneeboard' in my program)

-images pulled from 'Saved Games\DCS\Kneeboard' directory

-images visible in all aircraft

-images are safe during DCS World updates or repairs

4) Aircraft Specific Custom Kneeboard

-images pulled from 'Saved Games\DCS\Kneeboard\(aircraft name)' directory

-images visible only to that specific aircraft

-images are safe during DCS World updates or repairs

5) Mission Kneeboard

-images pulled from the.miz file's 'KNEEBOARD' directory

-images visible to all aircraft unless they are in an aircraft specific folder

These kneeboards are displayed in game in the above order(the Mission Kneeboard may actually display between 2 and 3, I can't remember) and independent of each other so they will not get mixed around.

Within those kneeboards, the order the images are grouped and displayed is based on their filename. Kneeboard Builder saves the images with the following naming convention:

'001-Emergency Procedures-005.png'

'Group Order Number - Group Name - Image Order Number'

The kneeboard groups the images together based on their group name and orders the images within their groups based on the image order number.

The groups are ordered by their group order number.

If a user creates a custom kneeboard, would this be unavailable if he were to fly a mission in multiplayer?? (replaced by the mission designer's one?).

All custom kneeboards will be visible in both singleplayer and multiplayer. Kneeboards added to a mission by the mission designer will not affect the user's custom kneeboards.

Hopefully I answered your questions without adding more confusion.

Edited by AlaskanGrizzly

that cleared it up

thanks

EDIT : it may be a good idea if you included the info about kneeboard types in the first post of this thread. Users may find it easier to understand what they are doing with your application.

Edited by airdoc

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time.

Automatic update, perhaps?

I really like this software, by the way. The vanilla kneeboard is unusable. I have a dual monitor setup with the MFDs glued onto the secondary one. Now if someone would come up with a similar solution for the F10 map...

Dear Shilka. I hate you so very very much. Love, Rex

It is checking if an update is available.

Ok, thanks for the quick response!

Maybe you can make that an optional setting in the preferences? Because I - and I bet I am not alone with this - generally feel uncomfortable if software tries to communicate with some "random" server on the net without my consent.