Looking to buy new HOTAS...

I live in the Toronto area and am looking for a place to be able to actually handle a higher end HOTAS before buying it. If I knew exactly what I wanted I would buy online. I am prepared to travel to nearby Buffalo if need be but would prefer not.

Firstly, any product recommendations besides Thrustmaster's Warthog which I've seen at Bestbuy.

Thank you.

In the "mainstream", the Warthog is the best you can buy.

Beyond that, you're talking more boutique. The obvious groups being VKB and VPC (Virpil). There's plenty of threads about both here, so go have a read.

You'll not get the chance to touch one, but there's definitely good videos giving them a good once over.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

With VKB or VPC the only chance is that you will find some flightsimmer nearby who already has those.

Logitechs (old Saiteks) and Thrustmasters should be easy to find. Worst case, search for online store with "no questions asked" return policy so you can buy online and return the joystick if you don't like it.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

With VKB or VPC the only chance is that you will find some flightsimmer nearby who already has those.

Logitechs (old Saiteks) and Thrustmasters should be easy to find. Worst case, search for online store with "no questions asked" return policy so you can buy online and return the joystick if you don't like it.

I've finished reading the link, lots of good info and it seems to agree with you...I'll never get the chance to see one in a store. As I mentioned there, you need to have a lot of faith in a product to buy online with near double the cost in Canada to import.

I live in the Toronto area and am looking for a place to be able to actually handle a higher end HOTAS before buying it. If I knew exactly what I wanted I would buy online. I am prepared to travel to nearby Buffalo if need be but would prefer not.

Firstly, any product recommendations besides Thrustmaster's Warthog which I've seen at Bestbuy.

Thank you.

I've priced out some of the other products (I bought the TM WH second hand years ago but looking to replace my stick) and you are looking easily at double cost to import equivalent products import to Canada.

Virpil controller and throttle setup that is equivalent to the TM WH setup will cost over 1000$ CND BEFORE shipping!!!

VKB does not have a separate throttle so again you will need to spend much more then you would for the TM WH.

Not to mention any issue you have with these product will require you to reship back to them and pay for shipping back to you (waiting weeks in between and costing easily 100-200$)

But in the end it doesn't matter as both of these companies are currently completely sold out,. These are "boutique"manufacturers most likely run from a small shop or even someone's house, that may or may not be open next year.

So your only real choice (and best choice in my opinion) is to go for the TM Warthog if you live in Canada.

I've priced out some of the other products (I bought the TM WH second hand years ago but looking to replace my stick) and you are looking easily at double cost to import equivalent products import to Canada.

Virpil controller and throttle setup that is equivalent to the TM WH setup will cost over 1000$ CND BEFORE shipping!!!

VKB does not have a separate throttle so again you will need to spend much more then you would for the TM WH.

Not to mention any issue you have with these product will require you to reship back to them and pay for shipping back to you (waiting weeks in between and costing easily 100-200$)

But in the end it doesn't matter as both of these companies are currently completely sold out,. These are "boutique"manufacturers most likely run from a small shop or even someone's house, that may or may not be open next year.

So your only real choice (and best choice in my opinion) is to go for the TM Warthog if you live in Canada.

Dagger71 unfortunately I have to agree with everything you say.

I import from the U.S. for business and am well aware of the mad.gif$mad.gif

I just can't get my head around buying a stick without first handling it...not when you have to go through what we do at the price we will pay.

I fly the F-18...heard Thrustmaster has a F-18 stick coming out.

Edited by fitness88

the TM stick will have less buttons than the warthog stick though. So I'm going to stick with the WH stick. When I bought mine off kijiji I went to the guys's house and he had it setup to try out first. I was blown away how big both are and the die cast metal give it a really authentic feel. Other than trackir, this was easily the best investment for sim gaming.

I'm waiting for black friday to see if it will go on sale. Bestbuy, staples and walmart all sell from their websites any other PC store will easily charge >100$ more for the set.

I'm just looking for the stick so currently 349$ BB and 329$ walmart hoping it drops sub 300$ in the coming weeks. But you should be able to get both for around 500$

Currently best price in Canada is Walmart for 549$, for the cheapest route and save you HUNDREDS of dollars over importing anything else.

the TM stick will have less buttons than the warthog stick though. So I'm going to stick with the WH stick. When I bought mine off kijiji I went to the guys's house and he had it setup to try out first. I was blown away how big both are and the die cast metal give it a really authentic feel. Other than trackir, this was easily the best investment for sim gaming.

I'm waiting for black friday to see if it will go on sale. Bestbuy, staples and walmart all sell from their websites any other PC store will easily charge >100$ more for the set.

I'm just looking for the stick so currently 349$ BB and 329$ walmart hoping it drops sub 300$ in the coming weeks. But you should be able to get both for around 500$

Currently best price in Canada is Walmart for 549$, for the cheapest route and save you HUNDREDS of dollars over importing anything else.

My best investment was the Oculus Rift!

When you say "the TM stick will have less buttons than the warthog stick" doesn't TM make the Warthog or were you referring to some other TM product?

How come you're buying a second stick?

Did you have stiction issues with your first j-stick or throttle? That's my concern!

I currently am using the Saitek X52 Pro which has served its purpose very well. I'm looking for greater control in the movements of both the stick and throttle...what's your thoughts there?

My best investment was the Oculus Rift!

When you say "the TM stick will have less buttons than the warthog stick" doesn't TM make the Warthog or were you referring to some other TM product?

How come you're buying a second stick?

Did you have stiction issues with your first j-stick or throttle? That's my concern!

I currently am using the Saitek X52 Pro which has served its purpose very well. I'm looking for greater control in the movements of both the stick and throttle...what's your thoughts there?

Sorry I should have been more clear.

I bought the set second hand, heavily used with rudder pedals.

After about 3 years of heavy use myself, one day it no longer responded (windows no longer detected it) so in my drunken brilliance one friday night I started playing around with the firmware and ended up bricking it and then I took it apart and sure enough broke some of the sensors.

The TM F18 stick will more than likely have the same base and will be interchangeable but will have a few less buttons then the original WartHog stick. So for me even though I will end up buying the F18 and F16, I'm much better off with buying the WH stick to ensure all buttons will be available when I play with the A10c (no need to map anything using this stick/throttle with DCS A10C!)

Besides there is no date of the F18 stick yet.

I think Thrustmaster showed a roadmap where the new hotas stick was slated for 2019. So at least they should announce something next year (which is not that far away).

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

The TM F18 stick will more than likely have the same base and will be interchangeable but will have a few less buttons then the original WartHog stick.

Real F-18 stick have less buttons/functions than real F-16/A-10 stick, period.

But Tm F-18 stick will have the same number of buttons than Tm Warhog stick (19 buttons + POV HAT).

This is achieved using 5 ways HAT's in Tm F-18 grip, a "paddle" and and an 3 way "slider" under middle HAT, that don't exist in real F-18 grip. An wise design trick. ;)

Edited by Sokol1_br

It comes down to how much you can handle spending. At this stage of life I'd rather spent more than deal with plastic play station type controls!

I'm new, just getting into sims, and had ordered the WH Hotas thinking it was still TOTL. I quickly learned I was in error, and better stuff was available. I returned the unopened box at a $70 shipping loss, and purchased the Virpil stick, and throttle at more than double the cost ( $1000) I did this without ever holding one, having to going on reviews only. I'm glad I did. These are heavy duty commercial type controllers vs cheap plastic Walmart type stuff. The WH stuff is in between, but is saddled with plastic internal parts.

Virpil is currently out of stock, but have a new factory, and restock their store every couple weeks now. They are on the verge of constant stock. That's what I would go with. VKB seems to never ever have anything. I disregarded them after checking the NA website a hundred times......

Edited by Wmacky

Sorry I should have been more clear.

I bought the set second hand, heavily used with rudder pedals.

After about 3 years of heavy use myself, one day it no longer responded (windows no longer detected it) so in my drunken brilliance one friday night I started playing around with the firmware and ended up bricking it and then I took it apart and sure enough broke some of the sensors.

The TM F18 stick will more than likely have the same base and will be interchangeable but will have a few less buttons then the original WartHog stick. So for me even though I will end up buying the F18 and F16, I'm much better off with buying the WH stick to ensure all buttons will be available when I play with the A10c (no need to map anything using this stick/throttle with DCS A10C!)

Besides there is no date of the F18 stick yet.

Did you have stiction issues with the WH...this has been widely reported? The one I tested instore had noticeable stiction.

Yes TM tech told me the F-18 would fit to the base of the WH.

Did you have stiction issues with the WH...this has been widely reported? The one I tested instore had noticeable stiction.

Yes TM tech told me the F-18 would fit to the base of the WH.

I will tell you, with the Warthog it is a roll of the dice.

I have had two Warthog sticks, one - the original I got back when it was released - I had no stiction to speak of , it was - and still is - pretty darn smooth. The second stick I got was horrible - only reason I got it was to get a new grip - so I just put the grip from it on my original base.

My Warthog stick is retired now, and in my " stick Museum".

:joystick:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I will tell you, with the Warthog it is a roll of the dice.

I have had two Warthog sticks, one - the original I got back when it was released - I had no stiction to speak of , it was - and still is - pretty darn smooth. The second stick I got was horrible - only reason I got it was to get a new grip - so I just put the grip from it on my original base.

My Warthog stick is retired now, and in my " stick Museum".

:joystick:

As always dburne your information is appreciated, you are a walking wikipediasmartass.gif

Thanks.

BTW...dburne congrats on the promotion...you earned it!

Promotion??

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

from Senior Member to Veteran

dburne

Veteran

Aha ok got it now, thanks!

:thumbup:

Don B

it is not true...thrustmaster f18 stick will have the same buttons then the warthog....it will have a few buttons that does not exists on the real one...

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

So this is what I have gathered from all the info, Thrustmaster Warthog is the best the retailers are showing. Virpil and VKB and similar are all boutique items that can only be purchased online. There is a big performance difference between TW and Virpil/VKB, perhaps as big a difference as between TW and Saitek X52 Pro...correct?