Further AAA required...

DD_Fenrir

Was reading recently that Allied ground formations rarely contained heavy AAA, and significantly less light/medium AAA than German formations because by June '44, the Luftwaffe was not much of a threat to them, so much of it having been withdrawn for defense of the Fatherland.

That said, 3.7cm Flak guns and the SdKfz 7/1 ans /2 would be welcome additions to the DCS battlefield.

Edited by Yoda967

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

"In my private manual I firmly believed the only time there was too much fuel aboard any aircraft was if it was fire." --Ernest K. Gann

Was reading recently that Allied ground formations rarely contained heavy AAA, and significantly less light/medium AAA than German formations because by June '44, the Luftwaffe was not much of a threat to them, so much of it having been withdrawn for defense of the Fatherland.

Agreed in principle, however, rarely is not never; as linked above at least one US Battalion of heavy guns was sent to Normandy to protect the beaches and then Cherbourg Port.

As such there were Allied heavy guns in theatre - however small in numbers - and as such are a defence system that should be available to WW2 mission builders.

That said, 3.7cm Flak guns and the SdKfz 7/1 ans /2 would be welcome additions to the DCS battlefield.

They would certainly allow more flexibility to Mission Designers and I'd hope to see them soon.

Regards the Bofors; there certainly seems to be a big mis-match in capability and lethality between the German AAA and the Bofors currently. Whether this is due simply to the bofors lower rate of fire combined with a common aiming logic that benefits the German weapons is beyond anyone but EDs knowledge.

It could I suppose be argued that the German AAA gunners had much greater opportunity to practise their craft thanks to the quantiitive mis-match between the Luftwaffe and the Allies, plus the more defensive nature of the Lufwaffe in the later years of the war did not see them roam over Allied territory very often, but still...