VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support

AMVI_Rider

VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support  

171 members have voted

1. 1. VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support

• Yes
    • No

I just tried with Kasperky VirusDesk (passing all the files contained in the installation) and it reports that no issues were found.

This report may came from the heuristic engine of the AV, if you send me a screenshot of the AV message I can try to look deeper.

As Gruman suggested you can add VRK to the ignore list and just use it.

It seems an aspect ratio problem, can you share your original PDF with me?

About the position, it's something I need to investigate: yours is not the first report on the pen/display offset.

One little thing: when you use the Surface be sure to have WinTab disabled.

Hello AMVI Rider,

i added VRK to the Exceptiones in Kaspersky. I pause Kaspersky to install. When i reactivate Kaspersky it detects VRKneeboard.exe and VRKneeboard.ink as nonrepairable files and deletes them. The threat is VHO:Trojan-Spy.MSIL.Keylogger.gen

Thanks

System

i9 9900K / Asus MAXIMUS XI Hero /

32GB DDR4-4400 / RTX 2080 ti / HOTAS Warthog / MFG Crosswind / Valve Index / HP Reverb / Vive Pro / PIMAX 5k+

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Stupid question: Do you really need buttons on the touch panel or can this be done with gestures?

Because there is also a WACOM One Tablet (Arround 50$), which is perfectly the size of a DIN A5 sheet. Would be perfect for a kneeboard.

Otherwise I will just order the WACOM Intous S. Is the Bluetooth version laggier than USB within VRK?

Thanks

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Hello AMVI Rider,

i added VRK to the Exceptiones in Kaspersky. I pause Kaspersky to install. When i reactivate Kaspersky it detects VRKneeboard.exe and VRKneeboard.ink as nonrepairable files and deletes them. The threat is VHO:Trojan-Spy.MSIL.Keylogger.gen

Thanks

That's funny: why it deletes the files if it is on the exception list? Have you tried putting the whole directory to the exception list?

Anyway, another version will be released today. I hope the problematic fingerprint is not present in the new one.

Stupid question: Do you really need buttons on the touch panel or can this be done with gestures?

Because there is also a WACOM One Tablet (Arround 50$), which is perfectly the size of a DIN A5 sheet. Would be perfect for a kneeboard.

Otherwise I will just order the WACOM Intous S. Is the Bluetooth version laggier than USB within VRK?

Thanks

You can do almost anything without the buttons, still, I strongly suggest to buy a pen tablet with buttons: it is much faster and who knows if something in the future will require them.

Consider that active area is always noticeably smaller than the device size. Having a too small active area is worse than a larger device. That's why I choose the H950P over the Intuos S.

BT latency is slightly worse then USB, but irrelevant in VRK. Anyway, the BT can be used in USB mode too.

The reviews about latency are oriented to digital artists, they care about speed and latency.

Cheers

Edited by AMVI_Rider

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Ryzen 5 3600X - 32GB DD4 3200C14 Win10 64 - Geforce GTX 1080Ti

Hotas Warhog + Virpil T-50 base - Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals - Cougar MFCDs - Custom head tracker

35" UWQHD main display + 22" MFCD/Helios display / Rift S

2x256 GB SSD - 2Tb Caviar Green

Thanks for the tipps. Went with the WACOM Intous M. Should get it today. Will test it out :)

Do you still need feedback on the Surface Aspect Ratio or did you enhance anything in the newest version?

Thanks man

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR

Thanks for the tipps. Went with the WACOM Intous M. Should get it today. Will test it out :)

Do you still need feedback on the Surface Aspect Ratio or did you enhance anything in the newest version?

Thanks man

I'm quite interested in the M, let me know how it behaves in the practical scenario.

Something should have changed in the latest build with the supersampling improvement. If you have some time to "waste" I would like to know how it is running now.

Thanks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Hotas Warhog + Virpil T-50 base - Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals - Cougar MFCDs - Custom head tracker

I'm quite interested in the M, let me know how it behaves in the practical scenario.Thanks

I think the WACOM Intuos M has a great size. Its a bit larger than an DIN A5 sheet. So basicly its the size of a kneeboard. Currently I have to find a good solution to have it strapped to my right leg, but that should work all right.

Today I will receive my bluetooth USB adapter, so then I will see how the latency will be. Would be great if I can use it wireless.

I think the retail price would be 199$, but I was able to purchase it for 150$ from my favorite online retailer. Don't ask me why. Only "drawback" was the wierd color "pistachio green" :megalol:

Something should have changed in the latest build with the supersampling improvement. If you have some time to "waste" I would like to know how it is running now.Thanks

Will try it tonight. I will let you know.

Thanks for the added options to have the tabs on the right side :thumbup:

... Only "drawback" was the wierd color "pistachio green" :megalol:

The good part is that you won't see it while flying :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Just find this great tool

Thank u AMVI_Rider

Can u please explain how do I open the Kneeboard in flight or it alwase on?

I use the Standalone Configuration with Oculus CV1

Thanks again

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IAF Bell205

IAF Anafa

-----------------------

DCS World Modules: A-10C, FC3, MiG-21BiS, F-86, P-51, KA-50, UH-1H Huey, Mi-8, M2000K, Gazal, Bf109, Mig-15, Hawk and NTTR

-----------------------

My System - ASUS Maximus HERO iiiv, CoolMaster 120 Sadion Plus, I7 -6700K @4.0, G.Skill ddr4 16GB ram, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 , PSU Seasonic X-650W, OCZ 150 500Gb ssd drive X2, Seagate 7200 1T X2.

-------------

Just find this great tool

Thank u AMVI_Rider

Can u please explain how do I open the Kneeboard in flight or it alwase on?

I use the Standalone Configuration with Oculus CV1

Thanks again

You are probably running DCS through Olculus Software, right? Sadly you will have to run DCS through SteamVR to enable it. Read through the Quick Start Guide one more time. It will give you the shortcut line you will have to use to run it with SteamVR.

The Kneeboard is always visible. You can just start VRK, put the VR on your head. As long as you started SteamVR instead of Oculus you should find the Kneeboard floating in your Space.

@AMVI_Rider

Hey man. Just some feedback. Sadly I didnt had a chance to test with the surface yet. Will try to do that this weekend.

If I may, this would be my "Nice to have" feature / Wishlist :D.

- Night Mode -> If you fly in the night, the kneeboard will be way to bright. Could we have a button to dimm it?

- Could we stow it away? I like to have it a bit larger (without zoom), but that can block some some instruments. Maybe a gesture to hide it? (Flip it, then it's gone :D)

Since you are running a RIFT-S as well... Any tips for a optimal settings to use it with SteamVR? DCS in SteamVR is running worse than DCS in Oculus alone.:cry:

Thanks!

u right, I fly with Oculus Software.

As I remember SteamVR not work with CV1 last version,

I google it to find a solution

Thanks again.

You are probably running DCS through Olculus Software, right? Sadly you will have to run DCS through SteamVR to enable it. Read through the Quick Start Guide one more time. It will give you the shortcut line you will have to use to run it with SteamVR.

The Kneeboard is always visible. You can just start VRK, put the VR on your head. As long as you started SteamVR instead of Oculus you should find the Kneeboard floating in your Space.

@AMVI_Rider

Hey man. Just some feedback. Sadly I didnt had a chance to test with the surface yet. Will try to do that this weekend.

If I may, this would be my "Nice to have" feature / Wishlist :D.

- Night Mode -> If you fly in the night, the kneeboard will be way to bright. Could we have a button to dimm it?

- Could we stow it away? I like to have it a bit larger (without zoom), but that can block some some instruments. Maybe a gesture to hide it? (Flip it, then it's gone :D)

Since you are running a RIFT-S as well... Any tips for a optimal settings to use it with SteamVR? DCS in SteamVR is running worse than DCS in Oculus alone.:cry:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IAF Bell205

IAF Anafa

-----------------------

DCS World Modules: A-10C, FC3, MiG-21BiS, F-86, P-51, KA-50, UH-1H Huey, Mi-8, M2000K, Gazal, Bf109, Mig-15, Hawk and NTTR

-----------------------

My System - ASUS Maximus HERO iiiv, CoolMaster 120 Sadion Plus, I7 -6700K @4.0, G.Skill ddr4 16GB ram, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 , PSU Seasonic X-650W, OCZ 150 500Gb ssd drive X2, Seagate 7200 1T X2.

-------------

CV1 works with SteamVR?! Played SteamVR games back on my CV1 as well. Shouldnt be an issue.

- Make sure you have installed SteamVR

- Run SteamVR

- Run VRK, put you headset on -> Recenter with your controllers -> You should see the kneeboard in front of you.

Now to force DCS to use SteamVR instead of Oculus:

--force_steam_VR (StartParameter. Add to your shortcut for dcs.exe within DCS_OpenBeta\BIN\... (NOT updater.exe!!)

And you should be good to go.

Thanks !

Its work !

Really Love it except i cant figure how to replace pages and how to transport it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IAF Bell205

IAF Anafa

-----------------------

-----------------------

-------------

Thanks !

Its work !

Really Love it except i cant figure how to replace pages and how to transport it.

Good to hear. What exactly are you trying to figure out?

The Quick Start Guide is an excellent help.

Press the PDF button to load up your checklists, 9-LineCard or whatever you want.

Press the Tabs to switch between different loaded PDF's and the hand notes.

Add Bookmarks whenever you need them.

Let us know what exactly you are looking for. :smilewink:

Hi Gruman,

Thanks again :)

Good to hear. What exactly are you trying to figure out?

I can't find the way how to replace/Move pages.

I Use the standalone without Tablet or pan

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IAF Bell205

IAF Anafa

-----------------------

-----------------------

-------------

Look at VRK on your monitor.

There are some icons that let you do all that.

The Pen/Paper Icon will create an empty sheet to write stuff down

PDF icons -> lets you import PDFs like checklists. Each import will create a new Tab.

If you want to move the Tabs, right click them.

But you need to manage/Edit your PDF outside of VRK.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G965F mit Tapatalk

Let me please try explain u again.

I fly with my VR headset.

Without tablet or pan.

I like ti know if i cab move pages during flight with my headset (like the [] keys in the Shift K kneeboard)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IAF Bell205

IAF Anafa

-----------------------

-----------------------

-------------

AFAIK, currently there is no Support for assigning normal Keystrokes as actions within VRK. You can only bind the Extension Buttons from Drawing Tablets.

What are you trying to do with VRK, if you dont have a Windows Tablet or a drawing Tablet?

The normal DCS Kneeboard cover all those functions you seek. You can use Kneeboard Manager to create every Kneeboard you desire. You can have them on the pilot leg or displayed floating in your vision.

Hey guys.

I have just installed this software.

I want to know if there is any other thing I should do to see the proper display. Have read the quick guide but fail to see any reference to this issue.

Now I am using it the software on the standalone mode.

I run the VRK and the VRK is displayed on my desktop.

I am running steamVR with a windows mix reality headset.

I go into VR and cannot see the table as in the demo video. I can only see a logo of AMVI at the bottom right position. It does focus and enlarge when I look at the logo.

Thanks.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Thank u Gurman.

I think this MOD is not for my needs.

I will use the kneeboard builder

Thanks again

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IAF Bell205

IAF Anafa

-----------------------

-----------------------

-------------

Hey guys.

I have just installed this software.

I want to know if there is any other thing I should do to see the proper display. Have read the quick guide but fail to see any reference to this issue.

Now I am using it the software on the standalone mode.

I run the VRK and the VRK is displayed on my desktop.

I am running steamVR with a windows mix reality headset.

I go into VR and cannot see the table as in the demo video. I can only see a logo of AMVI at the bottom right position. It does focus and enlarge when I look at the logo.

Thanks.

You just need to add a "Tab" on the Kneeboard to activate the kneeboard overlay.

Either adding a Notes tab or a document will make it show.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Let me please try explain u again.

I fly with my VR headset.

Without tablet or pan.

I like ti know if i cab move pages during flight with my headset (like the [] keys in the Shift K kneeboard)

The capability to control VRK with other devices (keyboard, stick/hotas, controllers, USB I/O) will come.

It was not the priority because I focused most on innovation rater than superimposing the feature set with existing tools.

Now that VRK core is "good enough" I'm switching to support the DCS kneeboard in various ways. This will include the capability to use it without additional HW (except for writing of course).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Hello AMVI_Rider,

the Kaspersky-Problem is gone with your new version.

Thanks a lot.

System

i9 9900K / Asus MAXIMUS XI Hero /

32GB DDR4-4400 / RTX 2080 ti / HOTAS Warthog / MFG Crosswind / Valve Index / HP Reverb / Vive Pro / PIMAX 5k+

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The capability to control VRK with other devices (keyboard, stick/hotas, controllers, USB I/O) will come.

It was not the priority because I focused most on innovation rater than superimposing the feature set with existing tools.

Now that VRK core is "good enough" I'm switching to support the DCS kneeboard in various ways. This will include the capability to use it without additional HW (except for writing of course).

Thank u very much!

I love your project and i think its brilliant tool in our simulator.

Cant wait for the next version with the key support.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IAF Bell205

IAF Anafa

-----------------------

-----------------------

-------------