DCS: Mi-24P - What we know + Discussion

MrDieing

For sure we will not see the Mi-24 module in the coming months (even in open beta version), but receiving news times to times lets us continue to dream of a future availability...

I requested to NL to share more info on the non-priority modules even if it's only to say that X or Y projects are still under development and are progressing slowly...

I am pretty sure that BS3 will come before the Hind. Quiet normal because just an upgrade and as Zhukov has mentionned, the multicrew has to still to be developped by ED.

When you believe it will be realized??? Before 2020???We will see it at 2020 or we need to be more patient???

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Let ED now just get F-16 out and get it rolling, as it will draw lots of new members to DCS.

And when the Hind comes out, it will be like KA-50 coming out first time.

All previous other helicopters has been.... Niche. And the AH-1 will be other one as BLUFOR gets now something similar to KA-50.

Meanwhile I fly Hind from 1996 as it is still today amazingly well done.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Let ED now just get F-16 out and get it rolling, as it will draw lots of new members to DCS.

And when the Hind comes out, it will be like KA-50 coming out first time.

All previous other helicopters has been.... Niche. And the AH-1 will be other one as BLUFOR gets now something similar to KA-50.

Meanwhile I fly Hind from 1996 as it is still today amazingly well done.

I do not think Ah-1 is so good as the KA50.An Apache will be better.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

When you believe it will be realized??? Before 2020???We will see it at 2020 or we need to be more patient???

We just know that at least one or more modders are still working on the Mi-24 project.

For the rest, no new real annoucements since Jan 19.

For sure, ED current priorities are the F-16, F-18 and DCS carrier (Syrian map ??).

After the release of the F-18 in open beta version, the Hind was normally the next module but....suddenly came the F-16 project.

And we can see that during the last 9 months much more were done on the F-16 project compared to the Hind.

So ED priority of today will maybe not the same on the day after.

We have to live with this and wait for additionnal information...

Be patient...

But for sure, we are many to wait for this magnificent combat helicopter :thumbup:

I seem to remember that the developers of the Syria map was Ugra Media, wasn't it?

If so, it seems unlikely that any ED module would be bundled with it - or witheld to await release of it.

As for our speculations of any time of release?

Well anyones guess is as good as yours.

Personally, I find speculating about such things to be pointless.

It will be released when it will be released, and it seemes highly unlikely that it will be released before that.

"Your pumping days are over, Megatron!" -Optimus Prime

"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" -Vyvian

Those of you who are also daydreaming about flying the hind and dont know very much about its avionics might find this interesting:

I was looking into the Mi-24 to find out about its capabilities and found this excerpt from a russian magazine with reports from the combat use of the hind in afghanistan.

https://translate.google.de/translate?hl=de&tab=wT&sl=ru&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fmilitary.wikireading.ru%2F54527

The author writes there that the hind has CCIP capabilities for the gun and rockets as well as CCRP for bombs. But he mentions that those not very precise in the mountains (because of the lack of a laser rangefinder, I guess.)

That will be awesome because right now I am avoiding to use bombs with helicopters because i am terrible at aiming them.

edit:

i guess the cross to the bottom right here is the CCIP

ipjsEw2X_TnvXaLuJVx7u4Tj3i73NlW4uZiJFq_8cFs.jpg.33fba2f587306aade81fd91774a83507.jpg

Also, the Raduga-Sh system for guiding the Shturm missiles seems to be gyro stabilized (i was wondering if that was the case)

The whole article is a very interesting read and I highly recommend it

Edited by Kerberos

what is the likely timeframe on an Afghanistan Map?

I think we will see both the hind and the afghan map in 2020. This is just my personal best guess.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I hate making you all jealous (not), but I had a chance to crawl all over and in a Hind yesterday. Yes, I... I did it. I took selfies in the cockpit. I took several photos of the rotors, rocket pods, apu, and verrry thorough photos of the cockpit and reflector gunsight. Unfortunately the gunner position was inaccesible and appeared to be stripped anyway.

Observations:

It cannot be overstated how huge the Hind is. It's truly a massive machine. The wings are long, and they're broad, larger than some small aircraft.

The cockpit is very spacious and comfortable, and the bubble canopy provides excellent visibility to the rear and above. Looking over the left wing, I had to lean a considerable amount (due to size) but the swollen canopy provided excellent visibility. I could see almost directly behind the aircraft.

I could not see through the canopy well into the gunner position, and it was in bad shape, but I did see duplicate flight controls. I also observed in the pilot position what appeared to be a space for a TV screen, which surprised me, but the nose had some sort of large optic on the leading right edge.

The cargo hold itself, while very large, had verrrry short benches, and they only extended halfway from the back. Seating for maybe four, with their feet against the walls. I suspect this particular aircraft was modified to make the front half of the hold more useful for storage and those benches were removed.

The view forward was, as expected, restricted, and the probe was readily visible. The gunsight reflectors were in good shape and I took detailed photos of it, but it appears very similar, probably identical to the ASP-17 from the Su-25.

Despite its stripped state, the controls actuated the rotor blades and you could shift the blade angles with the cyclic. Some axises and the collective either required too much force or were locked down. The 12.7 actuated freely and made an audible electrical buzz as it moved around, though not particularly fast, It's good enough for corrections on a strafing run.

I also crawled all over a MiG-23, and a few BTRs and BMPs. I was relatively thorough with the first few, and my ''favorites'', but there were a great many displays, with variable ease of access. I'll share photos later.

I will say the MiG-23 was very tight, you practically wear it =)

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

After the release of the F-18 in open beta version, the Hind was normally the next module but....suddenly came the F-16 project.

The F-16 has not come suddenly. I would guess that ED has known to do it for last 2-3 years now, if even 4-5 years. They just don't talk about it as they have schedule etc. And why to talk when they are doing all the background work etc for everything basically.

The Mi-24 has been so long for the "here, look at this!" status, like last time was it a F-5E when Wags teased Mi-24P at side while taxiing? On the same video there was the Yak-52 as well pointed out. Don't remember but it was like 2-3 years ago already with the "What is that doing here?".

What I only know is that they are still working with all helicopters flight modeling to fix the raised new issue / adding new feature, that is complex and time consuming. So that is of course pushing releases etc forward a lot.

The Mi-24 has been probably been pushed in the line by 4-5 other modules already :D

The cockpit is very spacious and comfortable, and the bubble canopy provides excellent visibility to the rear and above. Looking over the left wing, I had to lean a considerable amount (due to size) but the swollen canopy provided excellent visibility. I could see almost directly behind the aircraft.

That is interesting as I have not even thought that what is visibility to rear, just that to see to sides is good. And having only armored glass in the front (the flat one) and otherwise just plastic bubble, you are fairly vulnerable in those helicopters (same with Apache, AH-1 etc) for small arms fire.

I would like to know how it feels to sit in the co-pilot position at front, as that always looks to be very tight for the legs, and somewhat like you would sit at dinner table with a round window on your face.

Compared to it, the pilot cockpit must be larger.

The author writes there that the hind has CCIP capabilities for the gun and rockets as well as CCRP for bombs. But he mentions that those not very precise in the mountains (because of the lack of a laser rangefinder, I guess.

The Mi-24PK2 does have a laser rangefinder, FLIR etc. But then again that what the previous P models had? IIRC it has the laser rangefinder as it was included in the sighting system for missiles, as you need to range the target, and be able designate targets as well for Su-25

And many does tell that Mi-24V and Mi-24P had laser designators in Afghanistan.

But what comes to reason for "not very precise in the mountains" might be again about the either environmental conditions like wind etc. As you have lots of different wind conditions going on mountains that can throw trajectories off (and why you want to fly co-axial helicopter on mountains) as it can't be about the triangulate calculation of target elevation as you know the helicopter altitude, the targeting sight angle and the range, unless the sight angle measurement ain't so precise.

But those CCIP modes for the rockets and cannon are interesting things, as I have understood that they all had the fixed sight. But if it is same as the Su-25A, then it is little more clear how it is about to work.

edit:

i guess the cross to the bottom right here is the CCIP

[ATTACH]216807[/ATTACH]

I would believe it is the CCRP, unless then it has the wind and range corrections in that? So you have boresight and then you have CCIP?

Also, the Raduga-Sh system for guiding the Shturm missiles seems to be gyro stabilized (i was wondering if that was the case)

I believe that all the sights are stabilized, as the periscope they used for it was stabilized in the first place.

The Mi-24PK2 does have a laser rangefinder, FLIR etc. But then again that what the previous P models had? IIRC it has the laser rangefinder as it was included in the sighting system for missiles, as you need to range the target, and be able designate targets as well for Su-25

I think we are getting a regular Mi-24P and that one does not have a rangefinder. The Raduga sight use SACLOS guidance and does not need range information to guide the missile.

But what comes to reason for "not very precise in the mountains" might be again about the either environmental conditions like wind etc. As you have lots of different wind conditions going on mountains that can throw trajectories off (and why you want to fly co-axial helicopter on mountains) as it can't be about the triangulate calculation of target elevation as you know the helicopter altitude, the targeting sight angle and the range, unless the sight angle measurement ain't so precise.
Since it uses basically the same sight as the SU25A, i suppose it will work similarly (without the ability to enable the laser).

The SU-25A can also do CCIP without the laser, its just not as precise. Especially in the mountains. I think thats what the author meant. He also states that the sight gets more precise when you fly high above the mountains and that is the same in the SU-25A when you are not using the laser.

I hate making you all jealous (not), but I had a chance to crawl all over and in a Hind yesterday. Yes, I... I did it. I took selfies in the cockpit. I took several photos of the rotors, rocket pods, apu, and verrry thorough photos of the cockpit and reflector gunsight. Unfortunately the gunner position was inaccesible and appeared to be stripped anyway.

Observations:

It cannot be overstated how huge the Hind is. It's truly a massive machine. The wings are long, and they're broad, larger than some small aircraft.

I could not see through the canopy well into the gunner position, and it was in bad shape, but I did see duplicate flight controls. I also observed in the pilot position what appeared to be a space for a TV screen, which surprised me, but the nose had some sort of large optic on the leading right edge.

The cargo hold itself, while very large, had verrrry short benches, and they only extended halfway from the back. Seating for maybe four, with their feet against the walls. I suspect this particular aircraft was modified to make the front half of the hold more useful for storage and those benches were removed.

The view forward was, as expected, restricted, and the probe was readily visible. The gunsight reflectors were in good shape and I took detailed photos of it, but it appears very similar, probably identical to the ASP-17 from the Su-25.

Despite its stripped state, the controls actuated the rotor blades and you could shift the blade angles with the cyclic. Some axises and the collective either required too much force or were locked down. The 12.7 actuated freely and made an audible electrical buzz as it moved around, though not particularly fast, It's good enough for corrections on a strafing run.

I also crawled all over a MiG-23, and a few BTRs and BMPs. I was relatively thorough with the first few, and my ''favorites'', but there were a great many displays, with variable ease of access. I'll share photos later.

I will say the MiG-23 was very tight, you practically wear it =)

Nice! I had the same experience a few years back when I was allowed to enter and observe a Czech Hind at an airshow. A few kind words and a great smile sometimes makes wonders. What a beautiful machine it is. Everytime I see that thing it still awes me by its demonic impression it leaves when coming at you.

g8PjVMw.png

Very much looking forward to this module! Would be epic if this was one of the default skins!

Czech-out-this-Mi-24-Hind-in-hybrid-alien-tiger-camo-that-showed-up-at-NATOs-Tiger-Meet-5.jpg

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

+ 1 :thumbup:

My favorite movie on my favorite war machine !!!;)

:thumbup: :joystick:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Good news !

Finally a small (ok a small but beter than nothing !) update regarding the Mi-24 project.

Still a lot of questions...because the two screenshots released in the last Weekend Update are quiet the same as the last released in Jan 19. Just with a different view...:huh:

https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=217505&d=1568989179

https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=217506&d=1568989189

Even the screenshot of the P-47 seems to see a more advanced module...:music_whistling:

So I think we're going to be even more patient !

I hope that all of this will help us : https://www.nbcnews.com/better/lifestyle/how-train-yourself-be-more-patient-ncna1022356

But I have to admit that some weeks ago I asked to NineLine to give us more information on the current project (even those are not the ED priority) and that's the case for this last update..;so thx to him ! :thumbup:

https://imgur.com/a/kIDJ4Hd

I haven't sorted the photos yet, but here's some photos from my adventures. Mi-24 display at the Museum of the Great Patriotic War in Kyiv, Ukraine.

Thanks for the nice high resolution!

Intel 5820k | Asus X-99A | Crucial 16GB | Powercolor Devil RX580 8GB | Win 10 x64 | Oculus Rift | https://gallery.ksotov.co.uk

Patiently waiting for: DCS: Panavia Tornado, DCS: SA-2 Guideline, DCS: SA-3 Goa, DCS: S-300 Grumble