Why does the TGP not cage to the VVI?

imacken

Out of interest, why does the TGP not cage to the VVI?

Is there a reason why it goes to several degrees below?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

No reason to cage to it, no other plane does it. Should be soon able to cage to a waypoint/SPI. And we also should have an indication on the HUD where the TGP is looking.

i9 9900k, 64 Go RAM, RTX 4090, Warthog HOTAS Throttle & Stick, Saitek Combat Rudder, MFD Cougar, Trackir 5 Pro, Multipurpose UFC and Oculus Rift S (when I want some VR),

http://www.twitch.tv/zarma4074 /  https://www.youtube.com/user/Zarma4074 

Copy-of-DCS-A-10C-User-Bar-CMR-ConvertImage.jpg

Not really sure what you mean. Maybe cage is the wrong word to use in this context. What I mean is when the TGP is not locked on a target and it is under TDC control, for example, why does it default to a position a few degrees below the VVI?

Just wondering if there is a reason why it doesn’t default to the VVI, which would make it slightly easier to get an initial position from the HUD at times.

Just curious.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Yep, and that will be really useful. But, my question still stands about the positioning a few degrees below the VVI. Flying in level flight, switch on TGP and it is way below the horizon.

There must be some logic to this. Just curious, it’s no big deal!

Out of interest, why does the TGP not cage to the VVI?

Is there a reason why it goes to several degrees below?

I see why you'd want that. The caged sensor is pointing straight ahead relative to itself as a default fixed position. I'm not sure if the LITENING does this IRL but it would need to be constantly adjusting for yaw and AOA if it were pointing to match the VV. While useful this would be less than ideal compared to using JHMCS which it actually does. Then you could put your HMD crosshairs anywhere on the ground and cue the sensor to that point. It'll come.

VMFA-122 Crusaders

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Discord

I see why you'd want that. The caged sensor is pointing straight ahead relative to itself as a default fixed position. I'm not sure if the LITENING does this IRL but it would need to be constantly adjusting for yaw and AOA if it were pointing to match the VV. While useful this would be less than ideal compared to using JHMCS which it actually does. Then you could put your HMD crosshairs anywhere on the ground and cue the sensor to that point. It'll come.

Just a guess: it makes sense to have a lower line of sight for the TGP caus you don't want to head down for the target when you use a TGP. Even with Mavericks it is better not to loose too much altitude while searching.

That makes sense guys, thanks a lot!

My guess is because it's in A/G mode. The TGP head assembly is rotated towards the ground and this the view from its natural "zero" position. It also helps the pilot, because you have a slight downwards view without having to dive.

If you switch to A/A and keep the FLIR page visible (will only work if you have it on the AMPCD, otherwise it'll get replaced by the radar or the stores page), you will see that the head rotates up, since now the pod is configuring itself to look at air targets and the new "default" view is different.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I don't know how the TGP is mechanized on the Hornet, but on jets like the F-15E for example (IRL), you can cage the TGP to the center of the HUD (not the Velocity vector). This would then allow the pilot to point the jet at a target on the ground, designate the target and the TGP would then stay on that point on the ground. This was before JHMCS and was the pre-JHMCS (poor man's) way of quickly getting the TGP to a point on the ground rather than slewing it around trying to find the point. In this example, there was a TGP segmented box that would display in the HUD and essentially you could drive the jet's nose to put the target inside that box on the HUD and quickly capture the target on the ground in the TGP so you could then go onto employ laser guided weapons.

Edit to Add: Like the A-10C is mechanized in DCS. You can boresight the TGP to the HUD.

Edited by Notso

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB