New 2020 update sounds great!

Flarpt

Looking Forward to a Conservative 2020

I have shared my lot of criticism over the years with DCS but in the end who does what they do better? . . . Lol. . . if that even sounds reasonable.

I get the "beta" culture (pre-release) in software development, I don`t agree with it, but it is what it is and people need to make a living regardless of fiscal irresponsibility or living above their means. We all do it from time to time.

This is why I am somewhat conservative about when I purchase a particular module. Case in point: I love the Viper but simply won`t buy it until it is finished.

Having said this, I do have other "unfinished" modules to keep me satisfied for now anyway. I guess if the pre-purchase culture keeps the passion going then we all have something to be thankful for in this wonderful hobby we all share. The last thing to stave off burn-out is the ability to live in comfort while paying the bills. When burn-out occurs it is all but over.

Criticism is good but people need to hear a few encouraging words along the journey as well. Despite my woes I support DCS because they seem to care about their supporters even though at times they appear to bite off more than they can chew.

At the end of the day I am grateful that I can jump into the cockpit "cold-and dark" after a hard days work, listen to the pitter-patter of rain on the canopy, warm up the bird, throw some switches, taxi, take-off, fly, and land somewhere to my choosing. All with fantastic visuals with an assemblage of virtual reality coupled with some comfort. DCS to me is a cockpit simulator. All the rest is gravy.

Looking forward to what 2020 brings.

Cheers.

Edited by Emra

Total newcomer to the game, and have to say that I do understand performance issues can be a serious downer.

However, having spent less than $1200 on this rig I built a few years back, I get pretty decent performance from it. I don't know what your settings are, but I have set my screen resolution to 1920 x 1080 and most items for detail are high. The graphics are decent and the framerate has zero stutter so far in my single player games.

My main system runs an i7 and there's 16GB of ram. I'm running a pair of Samsung 1TB SSD's in RAID-0 for OS and game.

GPU is an ATI Radeon 970 - nothing special here. I'm running Windows 10 Pro and have anti-virus and some other utils running in the background.

Now, if you're trying to run this at ULTRA I don't know what the requirements would be, but logically, I might suggest reeling back a little. Try toning down the details to better match the capabilities of your particular setup.

Fair winds mister.

I run an I7 8700K, 32MB DDR4 3200 MHz Ram, GTX1080ti, Samsung M.2 NVMe drive, @4K. The 1080ti allows me to run at 4K, otherwise I have to nerf my monitor.

Everything is silky smooth apart from a few "very" heavy missions. 32MB Ram helps with the larger missions. Whenever I get frustrated with stuttering P3D I go back to silky smooth DCS for recovery. . . Lol.

Edited by Emra

I share the sentiments of many here in that I would like to see significant progress made on the actual DCS World platform itself. I know ED have been upfront is saying that half of the entire ED team is working on core features and that is great. The last module I purchased was the Viper and I don't see myself spending any further money on new modules (with the exception of new maps) until the core of DCS World is improved from its current state. 2020 does sound promising and with that I wait in anticipation to what ED will bring to the core DCS World.:)

+1

I’ve got bad news for you mate. Even if Vulkan is released it is not going to cure the virtual reality frame rate problem. I think we can expect around 10 to 20% performance increase with DCS utilising more than one core. To get a dramatic performance increase, the entire engine would need to be written from the ground up. That sure as hell that ain’t gonna happen. You’re going to have to invest in new hardware, such as the GeForce RTX 3080 TI to improve the VR experience. And even then I don’t think that GPU will be fast enough for a perfect VR experience, we are looking at waiting for another 4 to 5 years before that happens.

My suggestion to you is to buy the fastest PC you can, and then put your VR headset to the side. DCS runs and looks beautiful in standard 2D. So enjoy that way of playing until VR becomes perfectly playable in 2024!

By the way, flight simulators have always been by far the most demanding games to run on the PC. The complexity, scope and the sheer size means that they will hurt your PC more than any other genre of game. Expecting these demanding games to be able to run smoothly In VR is simply not realistic. You need to taper your expectations, be patient and wait for the hardware fast enough for VR to arrive in a few years time. After spending 150 hours trying to get the VR experience to work well on my monster PC, I’ve realised that I’m going to have to stick to 2D for the next few years. And now that I’ve stopped chasing the dream of a good VR experience I’m loving this amazing game.

Edited by GunSlingerAUS

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

I'd also like to see improvements to the core sim more than anything else right now and I'm really looking forward to the new lighting improvements and Vulkan. I understand that DCS will need to utilize more cores if we're to have more complex systems simulated, such as EW. Imagine having a single core dedicated to the datalink network and all of its aspects, another core handling the weather etc. I admit that I know next to nothing about how parallelization would work in this context, but still, it's vital if we want to delve into more aspects of modern warfare.

I'm OK with waiting for reasonable amounts of time and I do think that the lighting improvements aren't far, but as Wags and others have stated, Vulkan will take time. And I'd like them to take their time with it, do it right and hopefully modernize the core code while they're at it. It's my experience that waiting does indeed pay off with DCS. So I try to be hopeful and patient.

Edited by Harker

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Hardware-requirements for 2D are not too high and with a average 800Euros PC, you can do pretty well.

Only VR is very hardware-demanding and will be for the next years to come; just look at the Pimax 8K-X.

No enigne-update can resolve this, only maybe alivieate a bit.

Still ED will (out of their own interest) have to put the whole game on a newer, future-safe ground. Which of course is a huge undertaking.

Right now, it seems DCS is like a big castle, where in 35 different corners fixes are made and 10 new corners are added every month. This castle will get more complex and the structure will get also weaker, causing maybe someday to crash completly. So I guess its imperative for ED to make DCS ready for the coming years of growth.

For me DCS right now is a joy and even visuals on my RiftS arent that great as on a monitor, Im putting lots of time into it.

Maybe with a RTX3080Ti I can run a Pimax 8K sometime in the near future, then Ill be overly happy I think.

And I will buy moduls (even only EA) also in the future, even I already have too many of them. Especially looking forward to the Warthog II.

Keep it up, ED!

Isn't it better to enter one of the many available servers with a human vs. human role than to spend money on campaigns to fight against (AI)? We can edit our own missions and share them and it seems that if there are no campaigns there is nothing to do.

absolutely negative, not all humans follow the rules, there is no realism in the community, many play as if it were war thunder:lol:

DCS is not made with an average PC's hardware in mind. And by this I mean PC's that are capable of running DOOM or GT5 or ANY other modern graphically wondrous title very well.

I'm not sure what you are getting this from. Either you don't know how to optimize your PC or you are trying to run the game in some other kind of weird way.

I built my PC in late 2014, Intel i5 4690k (not overclocking it), 16gb DDR3 memory and a Geforce 970. I'm recently upgraded to the 1080 thanks to a friend changing his to a 2080.

I'm running the game at 1080p (I have a screen optimized for photo editing and those 4k screens with those panels are still crazy expensive). Other than 1080p, which is resolution enough, I am running almost everything at full settings except for MSAA and offline, in a busy environment the frame rates are close to 100. Online, in busy environments it can drop to around 45-50 (full server and large missions). This is still enough to play the game smoothly most of the time and it's quite rare.

Now, my 2014 computer is even to be considered bellow average by todays standards and I have no issues running DCS, none at all. The game is made with the average computer in mind and certainly sub 6k without an issue.

If you are talking pure VR on the highest settings that yes, you're gonna have a harder time but then again, there are few VR headsets optimized for it and the game hasn't caught up with VR either, but then again neither has any other games. If you compare the complexity of pure VR games with the large world, details and effects of DCS those games are nowhere near as demanding.

Seriously though, if VR is the real issue for you saying that the game isn't made for an average PC, you need to look at the average gamer and consumer. The average guy/gal don't have VR either as the price alone for the headset is around what many people would spend on a computer alone, and that computer would be able to run DCS.

I've had DCS for many years (I bought my first module, Black Shark, in October 2009) but only very recently I've gotten really in to the sim and spent time in it. I've spent more time in it the past two months then I have over the past 10 years before.

While I can understand your feelings towards it, I've seen it many times before, in my self among others, specially with the online game called Aces High. To be honest, the problem lies more with you (or my self at the time) and less with the game/sim. It sounds to me you've had a game burn out.

When I really started flying DCS a lot now I promised my self one thing, fly it/play it for what it is now, not for what you think it can become, or will be, or hope to be. If you FEEL a module is off, accept it unless you can show hard solid evidence of it being wrong. Chose the parts to appeal to you still, find a good squadron and friends to do real, tactical missions with. Wanna air quake for a while? Go ahead but don't do it expecting it to be realistic.

The minute you get frustrated with a game is the minute you need to take a break.

If your frustrations stem from mostly lack of high quality high FPS VR gaming, you need to take a step back and look at average people with average money to spend. VR is likely not a priority to bring people in the sim. One of the biggest reaons I've stayed away from VR is just that, I know the technology isn't there yet. It's not there to challenge 2d flying and those graphics. It's got other advantages for sure but not enough to weigh up for loosing that much resolution, details and viewing distance and I know I can't afford to upgrade the computer AND buy a very high end VR headset.

/Wilbuz

I'm not sure what you are getting this from. Either you don't know how to optimize your PC or you are trying to run the game in some other kind of weird way.

I built my PC in late 2014, Intel i5 4690k (not overclocking it), 16gb DDR3 memory and a Geforce 970. I'm recently upgraded to the 1080 thanks to a friend changing his to a 2080.

I'm running the game at 1080p (I have a screen optimized for photo editing and those 4k screens with those panels are still crazy expensive). Other than 1080p, which is resolution enough, I am running almost everything at full settings except for MSAA and offline, in a busy environment the frame rates are close to 100. Online, in busy environments it can drop to around 45-50 (full server and large missions). This is still enough to play the game smoothly most of the time and it's quite rare.

Now, my 2014 computer is even to be considered bellow average by todays standards and I have no issues running DCS, none at all. The game is made with the average computer in mind and certainly sub 6k without an issue.

If you are talking pure VR on the highest settings that yes, you're gonna have a harder time but then again, there are few VR headsets optimized for it and the game hasn't caught up with VR either, but then again neither has any other games. If you compare the complexity of pure VR games with the large world, details and effects of DCS those games are nowhere near as demanding.

Seriously though, if VR is the real issue for you saying that the game isn't made for an average PC, you need to look at the average gamer and consumer. The average guy/gal don't have VR either as the price alone for the headset is around what many people would spend on a computer alone, and that computer would be able to run DCS.

I've had DCS for many years (I bought my first module, Black Shark, in October 2009) but only very recently I've gotten really in to the sim and spent time in it. I've spent more time in it the past two months then I have over the past 10 years before.

While I can understand your feelings towards it, I've seen it many times before, in my self among others, specially with the online game called Aces High. To be honest, the problem lies more with you (or my self at the time) and less with the game/sim. It sounds to me you've had a game burn out.

When I really started flying DCS a lot now I promised my self one thing, fly it/play it for what it is now, not for what you think it can become, or will be, or hope to be. If you FEEL a module is off, accept it unless you can show hard solid evidence of it being wrong. Chose the parts to appeal to you still, find a good squadron and friends to do real, tactical missions with. Wanna air quake for a while? Go ahead but don't do it expecting it to be realistic.

The minute you get frustrated with a game is the minute you need to take a break.

If your frustrations stem from mostly lack of high quality high FPS VR gaming, you need to take a step back and look at average people with average money to spend. VR is likely not a priority to bring people in the sim. One of the biggest reaons I've stayed away from VR is just that, I know the technology isn't there yet. It's not there to challenge 2d flying and those graphics. It's got other advantages for sure but not enough to weigh up for loosing that much resolution, details and viewing distance and I know I can't afford to upgrade the computer AND buy a very high end VR headset.

/Wilbuz

Good post. I might be suffering from DCS burnout. Switching to VR golf on PS4.

Paco

Good post. I might be suffering from DCS burnout. Switching to VR golf on PS4.

It might not be a bad idea actually :lol:

Been there, done that, a brain dead game or something else brain dead often helps getting back and enjoying something else for what it is.

Hi Lao Fei Mao

Honestly, the only real performance increases I have really seen in two years has been my own upgrading from a 1070ti to an RTX 2080. And this has been such a MINOR improvement as to be a total waste of money.

Interesting considering your post from June 2018

I bought a NEW Ryzen 5, 1050ti with 4mb, 16 gb ram on pc, SSD drive instal, win 10, and I have everything off in background just to run dcs

Aren't you the same guy that went on a rant last year then insulted everyone who responded, you even suggested I was raised by same gender parents (even if true why would that be an insult???).

I don't know where you are getting your info from that the Vulcan API is going to radically change anything in complex study sims like DCS, but I am suspecting your expectations are much much too high.

I, as many on here, have a modest i7, 16gb and a 1060 and can hadle this game without any major issues.

You need to give us much much much more information as to what exactly you are experiencing.

Edited by Dagger71

• 3 weeks later...

I would ask you if you are that same guy with a mega$$ system that once again is proving that only people with mega$$ systems have ANY hope of running DCS anything like it is advertised..

So, thank you for chiming in and proving my point for me once again Capt. Obvious☺.

And hey, we all got a new 2020 Youtube video from ED sharing that they will work on optimizing DCS this year.

Just like they did in 2019, and as they posted in 2018.. So that makes it all better rigth?

Because why would they post this another year in a row if DCS already ran perfectly for everyone with or without a mega$$ PC?

Yeah, I must not know anything at all about what I am writing about here sheeple. Daggar's just too smart fer simple ole meLOL

I would ask you if you are that same guy with a mega$$ system that once again is proving that only people with mega$$ systems have ANY hope of running DCS anything like it is advertised..

So, thank you for chiming in and proving my point for me once again Capt. Obvious☺.

And hey, we all got a new 2020 Youtube video from ED sharing that they will work on optimizing DCS this year.

Just like they did in 2019, and as they posted in 2018.. So that makes it all better rigth?

Because why would they post this another year in a row if DCS already ran perfectly for everyone with or without a mega$$ PC?

Yeah, I must not know anything at all about what I am writing about here sheeple. Daggar's just too smart fer simple ole meLOL

Look at my specs I gave them and even specified that it was a modest system.

I never lied about my system, you on the other have.

So explain what exactly is your problem with the game.where are you having issues.

And seriously what are your real specs? Is it a 2080 or a 1050ti?

How much RAM do you have?

Edited by Dagger71