R828 Tuning - Hold tune button for a few secs

Hunter_5E

Just thought I'd mention this as it might catch some people out and have them wondering what's going on.

If you only hold the tune button for one or two seconds you will not be on the desired preset frequency despite the tune light flashing very quickly after you pressed tune. You'll need to hold the tune button for at least 4 or 5 seconds to tune correctly.

I discovered this while testing out my radio panel after updating my Helios profile to 1.4. With holding the tune button for only a second each time (or less) I was getting a whole bunch of frequencies leading up to the correct one. Most channels took at least 3 or 4 presses of 1 sec to get to the right frequency, others took 9 presses. I even got a freaky negative number on one test - see screenshot below.

The delay has nothing to do with Helios as I was pressing the in cockpit tune button as well just to see what it did compared to Helios. Same with both. You need to hold the tune button for at least 4 or 5 seconds to get to the correct preset. Do this and it will be correct every time.

I wouldn't have spotted this without CaptZeen's VHF1 Frequency display which I borrowed from his Shark profile. A very nice addition, thanks Cap!

Hope this info is useful.

59901714_R828NegFreq.jpg.28697633d4eb8e0438961ce2f30f7e5f.jpg

For me, the light flashes very briefly, very soon after pressing the tune button but if I release the tune button at that point it is not on the correct frequency - made very evident if you have the frequency display window open and can keep an eye on it.

The manual is actually very vague about the method of operation - see screenshot.

It states - "5. (Tuner) automatic tuner indicator lamp. If the R-828 is under power and the automatic tuner button is pressed, this will light if the radio has not been tuned to the selected channel."

This is not true as it flashes briefly about half a second after pressing the tune button then goes out. It most definitely does not stay lit if not tuned correctly.

I just posted what I found and what I did to ensure correct frequency is obtained. Make of it what you will :D

1595956369_R828ManualPage.thumb.jpg.f0f9e277328095b04ad5bdd19f220e19.jpg

Edited by Hunter_5E