DCSFlightpanels (DCSFP) thread. Saitek Pro Flight Panels & DCS

ArturDCS

I would like to ask the users of this wonderful program to consider giving a donation to support further development.

Even five bucks would help.

ArturDCS has invested countless hours working on this and it is the only way to fully utilize Saitek panels in DCS.

Never mind the generic mode which will work with ANY game.

Is it not worth something to you?

After stopping development He has decided to update Flight panels with new aircraft!

But in order to do this, the aircraft must be implemented and coded into DCS Bios.

He has now completed most of this work in the Mi-8, FW109 and F-86!

WOW!

The next step is to code these into Flight Panels itself.

This all takes many hours of work.

He could use a new Hotas.

Could you help?

Without a little support we would not have many great programs and add-ons for DCS World.

He has links at the bottom of is sig for this purpose.

Thanks for reading and considering this post.

ps: Hardware donations gladly accepted as well. Check with ArturDCS first.

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

Release time!

pdmarsh found a very nasty bug in Ka-50 but now it finally works.

I'd like to thank Hawkeye60 for donating a fast graphics card. Much much appreciated!

v 2.1.614 3 September 2017

Ka-50 radio supported.

Added code limiting HID traffic to radiopanels & multipanel (LCD updates). Other refactoring in all radiopanel codes (Mig-21, A-10, UH-1H)

New release!

ArturDCS has released DCSFlightpanels (formerly just Flightpanels) v2.1.699. This build includes the following:

Mi-8MTV2 support

Ability to add start delays to DCS-BIOS commands used in a sequence

Some code streamlining

For Mi-8 support, you will have to download the latest version of DCS-BIOS.

Please refer to the top level post in this thread for download links.

Thanks,

Paul

Thank you :thumbup:

Windows 10 | i7-8700K@5GHz | 2080 Ti | Intel Z370 Chipset | 32GB RAM@1866 MHz | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB| Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS w. FSSB R3 Mod | Saitek Switch Panel + Radio Panel + Multi Panel + FIP + Flightpanels Software | MFG_Crosswind | TrackIR5 | TM Cougar MFD Pack | Obutto R3volution | 1 x LG38 | GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

• 3 weeks later...

New Release -- v2.1.743

New release!

ArturDCS has released DCSFlightpanels v2.1.743. This build includes the following:

Radio panel (& full DCS-BIOS) support for Fw 190 D-9, Bf 109 K-4 and P-51D

FIP support removed

Term "NONE" for key emulator mode changed to "KEYEMULATOR"

Error & debug log name change to DCSFlightpanels___.log

Popup window when searching for DCS-BIOS controls height increased

For DCS-BIOS support of Fw 190 D-9, Bf 109 K-4 and P-51D, download the latest version of DCS-BIOS.

Please refer to the top level post in this thread for download links.

Thanks,

Paul

Radio panel (& full DCS-BIOS) support for Fw 190 D-9, Bf 109 K-4 and P-51D

FIP support removed

Term "NONE" for key emulator mode changed to "KEYEMULATOR"

Error & debug log name change to DCSFlightpanels___.log

Popup window when searching for DCS-BIOS controls height increased

Thank you guys!

This is just awesome!

Something I've wanted for a Loooong time!

My VR flights will never be the same!

All the WW II birds in DCS Bios?

Fantastic!

Now just the Spitfire remains...........

Next Please?

You keep this up and I may have to donate again.........

Hey Paul, do you accept donations?

Hawkeye

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

Thank you guys!

This is just awesome!

Hey Paul, do you accept donations?

Hawkeye

@Hawkeye--Thanks for your comments. Any donations should go direclty to ArturDCS. He does the heavy lifting. I appreciate the thought, though.

I think the F-86 will be coming next. I am still working on the AJS-37 DCS-BIOS profile, but I ran into a few controls and gauges I can't get to work. Part of the problem might be that it's still in Early Access, so some code cleanup might be yet to come. Still, it's about 90% complete and functional (in DCS-BIOS, not DCSFP as yet).

Thanks,

Paul

I am just discovering this software and it sounds pretty awesome. Would it work with 2 radio panels? Or can you do everything with just one?

I'm not entirely sure, to be honest. I never tested it. I'll check with ArturDCS if he doesn't respond himself. If it does support multiple panels of the same type, multiple tabs would or should appear to allow for separate programming.

Paul

I am just discovering this software and it sounds pretty awesome. Would it work with 2 radio panels? Or can you do everything with just one?

Yes it works with multiple panels of any sort (FIPs exluded). You can use/configure them independently. So stack them up! :)

Radio support works with one panel, you just switch between the radios but for more complicated aircraft (radio wise) you can use 2 radiopanels and keep them in their respective radios for easier operation.

Edited by ArturDCS

Working With Formulas

ArturDCS has built a powerful tool into DCSFlightpanels that might not be well understood by many users. That tool is the ability to add mathematical formulas that will convert raw data as output from DCS into meaningful information to be displayed on one of the four display options on the Logitech (Saitek) Multi Panel. In some cases, these formulas are built into DCSFP, so when you select “HDG,” for example, the actual heading is displayed on the panel. However, that is not always the case. If only raw data is available, you will need to apply a formula to that data to get something usable.

There are two assumptions that can be made that will apply to most scenarios. The first is that the raw data will be in the range of 0 to 65535, and the second is that the scale of the gauge in question is linear. As an example, let’s look at the fuselage fuel tank in the P-51D, which has a capacity of 85 gallons. A raw data value of 0 will equate to 0 gallons on the gauge, while a raw data value of 65535 will equate to 85 gallons. We now need a formula based on that information to convert other raw data values to gallons.

Fortunately, Excel makes this very easy. What we need to know is the slope of the line on a chart using the above data. The raw data makes up the x axis values, while the gauge scale makes up the y axis values. The screenshot below shows how this is done in Excel. In practice, it’s not necessary to draw the chart in order calculate slope.

slope01.jpg

The slope works out to be 0.001297017. The basic formula would be:

Raw Value x 0.001297017 = Gallons

In DCSFlightpanels, it will appear like this (see screenshot below):

FUEL_TANK_FUSELAGE*0.001297017

slope03.jpg

A slightly more complicated example would be vertical velocity, a.k.a. variometer, as this range has both positive and negative values, in this case -6000 to +6000 fpm, yet the raw data is all positive, 0 to 65535. The Excel exercise looks like this:

slope02.jpg

The slope works out to be 0.183108263. However, if we run the following formula:

65535 x 0.183108263

we get 12,000 fpm, not 6000. In order to correct for this we have to subtract 6000. The final formula looks like this:

(Raw Value x 0.183108263)-6000

In DCSFlightpanels, it will appear like this (see screenshot below):

(VARIOMETER_VVI*0.183108263)-6000

slope04.jpg

So far, I have only come across one gauge with a scale that is not linear, the AJS-37 Viggen airspeed indicator. In such a case it will be necessary to plot the data in Exel and use the trendline function to find a curve that best matches the data. You can then have Excel display the formula behind the trendline. There are a number of ways to get the needed data. Without digging into the module’s files, or getting up to speed with DCS-BIOS control-reference, the easiest approach is to configure one of the Multi Panel displays to show the raw data of the gauge in question, get in the pit and fly around, pausing to write down the gauge value and the matching raw data value. Obviously, you will want to collect a number of data points throughout the range of the gauge. For end points, you can once again assume 0 and 0 match, and the high end of the gauge range is 65535. You’ll be happy to know that I built this particular formula into the DCS-BIOS profile for the Viggen—airspeed will be done for you when that module is added to DCSFlightpanels.

Hope this helps.

Paul

OK, now I have been playing around FlightPanels for an Mi8 profile and I have a few questions guys:

- cannot find the Navigation lights command in DCS BIOS control. Got all the other lights working fine.

- when trying to define a key sequence, LALT and RALT register in FlightPanels as LMENU and RMENU. Is it a bug or a problem linked to the fact that my keyboard is Azerty?

- I would like to associate the Magnetos rotary switch of the switch panel to the radio panel switch. In DCS Bios control, there is only the turn left and turn right command. Can't I associate a given position of the rotary to a specific position of the radio panel? Like OFF is Intercom, R is R823, L is Jadro,....?

- surely the mathematical conversions for some of the integer outputs should be available somewhere without having to go through pdmarsh procedure each time?

Thanks guys.

Edited by BaD CrC

I'll answer part of your questions.

Based on the flight manual some or all are marked CB Lights something?

You can set the group on using the group switch via DCS-BIOS. Any hints you see from the cockpit control is usually searchable in DCSFlightpanels.

LALT, RALT, does it work nevertheless? I haven't touched that part of the code in ages but I just read the keys as reported by the APIs.

Perhaps pdmarsh can help out with the other questions.

OK, now I have been playing around FlightPanels for an Mi8 profile and I have a few questions guys:

- cannot find the Navigation lights command in DCS BIOS control. Got all the other lights working fine.

- when trying to define a key sequence, LALT and RALT register in FlightPanels as LMENU and RMENU. Is it a bug or a problem linked to the fact that my keyboard is Azerty?

- I would like to associate the Magnetos rotary switch of the switch panel to the radio panel switch. In DCS Bios control, there is only the turn left and turn right command. Can't I associate a given position of the rotary to a specific position of the radio panel? Like OFF is Intercom, R is R823, L is Jadro,....?

- surely the mathematical conversions for some of the integer outputs should be available somewhere without having to go through pdmarsh procedure each time?

Thanks guys.

a.thumb.jpg.c94fd8e7ea59de60746439b6fb063d40.jpg

b.thumb.jpg.046f326f0b45ec61efcf3afcde634db4.jpg

Thanks guys.

For navigation lights, search either "Lights" or just "LGHT." The nav lights show up like this:

L_RED_LGHT_2, R_RED_LGHT_2 and C_RED_LGHT_2.

LALT and RALT showing up as LMENU and RMENU is not a bug, and it will work OK. However, sometimes the associated key command does not appear, e.g. LMENU + A. That is a bug that, for whatever reason, can't be fixed. In those cases, you have to open the configuration file, after saving it, and enter the missing key command manually, in this case the A. There is a button in DCSFP to open the file.

Yes, I believe there is a way to associate the Swith Panel knob to control the Mi-8 radio panel mode selector. FIXED_STEP might work, but I'm not sure how the underling code is set up. In any case, SET_STATE should do the job. You'll need to know what value between 0 and 65535 relates to each position of the in-cockpit switch. That will become the SET_STATE value for each of the Swith Panel knob positions. There might be a way to do this using the Multi Panel displays to get the data input values, but I'll have to play with that. I'll get those values for you in a bit. I'm actually testing a new build of DCSFP at the moment which as the F-86F Sabre enabled. :-)

Regarding the conversions, unless they have been build into DCSFP, as ArturDCS has tried to do for most of the obvious ones, like altitude, heading and airspeed, I think you'll need to get that slope value for any given gauge. More recently, we have found an easier way to put formulas in the DCS-BIOS files and have added many more premade formulas. In the case of the P-51D, I believe I included these formulas for just about every gauge. I'm doing the same for the F-86F DCS-BIOS file, which ArturDCS created initially. I'm just adding these formulas. The user won't see the formulas, they just need to select the given function as usual.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Wow. Thanks for the super quick reply guys.

According to the description, L_RED_LGHT_2, R_RED_LGHT_2 and C_RED_LGHT_2 are the rheostat commands for the rad lights in the cockpit, not the navigation light on the tip of the pylons.

Those marked CB are only the circuits breakers command, not the ON/OFF ones.

Another thing, even after powering them up, I just can't get the ark9 and SPU7 frequencies to be displayed on my radio panel when switching to ADF or XPDR. The 828,863 and Yadro are working fine though.

Thanks for your help and for the radio panel values.

@BaD CrC -- Sorry for the bad info on the lights. The nav lights are controlled by the ANO_SWITCH. State 0 is dim, 1 is off and 2 is bright.

Setting up the Switch Panel knob for radio mode is easier than I thought. You need to use the SET_STATE function. However, there are only five positions while the radio selector has 6 options. You can only configure the first five.

I used the RADIO_SEL_L function, but the R option would work as well, I believe. For each Switch Panel knob position, set the state from 0 to 4 as you go from OFF to START. The knob will work in both directions as you are setting a state, not detecting direction.

I'll have a look at the radio issues.

Paul

I just can't get the ark9 and SPU7 frequencies to be displayed on my radio panel when switching to ADF or XPDR.

I completely missed the ARK-9 when giving ArturDCS radio setup suggestions for the Mi-8. He has those now, so I expect this to be implemented in an upcoming release. Regarding the SPU-7, though, I don't recall what should be displayed. When in XPDR mode, the large dial should cycle between the various radios for monitoring. It might just show 1-6 in the display. I'll have to look at it again.

Paul

Thanks guys. Have to work on this radio selector tonight or tomorrow as well as the nav lights (ANO switch wasn't obvious, lol).

I ordered a second radio panel so I can have my navigation frequencies and my communication frequencies displayed at the same time. (so hopefully you'll get this little problem sorted out:)).

With the current version of DCSFlightPanels, there is simply nothing displayed. Not even a number, even with the equipment powered.

Hey, I flew with my squad mates on a huge MP mission yesterday with 30+ players and multiple real life controllers (GND, TWR, APP, JTAC, AWACS) which requires a lot of radio frequency switching and I had a real blast doing this with DCS FlightPanels. Can't fly without it anymore.

Oh, and I just realized the paypal link in your sig Artur....