jester command request - MLC

Banzaiib

I'd love to be able to command jester to manipulate the MLC function (i know you can map it now from RIO to pilot controls, but that will end at some point in the future).

Jester "wheel" commands to add:

MLC IN

MLC OUT

MLC AUTO

This is incredibly useful when tracking bandits notching or close to it when you can't get below them, when that's not feasible from a tactical standpoint, or just when pointing your radar up 3+ degrees (forces MLC out) is also not feasible (like when TWS auto kicks in, which is soon coming).

Edited by Banzaiib

I'd love to be able to command jester to manipulate the MLC function (i know you can map it now from RIO to pilot controls, but that will end at some point in the future).

Jester "wheel" commands to add:

MLC IN

MLC OUT

MLC AUTO

This is incredibly useful when tracking bandits notching or close to it when you can't get below them, when that's not feasible from a tactical standpoint, or just when pointing your radar up 3+ degrees (forces MLC out) is also not feasible (like when TWS auto kicks in, which is soon coming).

Yeah, we definitely need that. As many of us currently use the rather crude workaround stated above I really hope LN considers adding that function to Jester's wheel commands.

We've heard you guys for sure and we are discussing it.

An additional note though is that we're also likely going to add a more realistic model for what actually happens to the WCS and the tracks if you disable it. This means that you'll have much fewer situations where you get away with doing this.

When you disable the MLC this means that all targets detected by the AWG-9 in the MLC clutter arc will be treated as tracks filling up the track memory really quickly, even making real tracks dissappear.

Even if these tracks are unlikely to generate track files in TWS it will still fill up the track register as in RWS and thus make it much less likely to track the real targets.

This all depends on the situation ofc, if out at sea with calm waters there will be much less clutter from the sea than over land as an example.

That said, this doesn't mean that we're not going to add a function to tell Jester this even if this is not something a real pilot would chime in on. But it's also likely that you won't want to use it when/if we have a better model for the clutter in.

Edited by Naquaii

This might be a bigger issue to tackle, but It would be nice to have Jester more independent operating the AWG-9. Feels very strange that the pilot should order PD STT, Scan Zones etc.

Example:

Jester is having trouble with keeping TWS lock. He should then (within a certain range) automatically try PD STT instead, saying something like "shit this ain't working, switching to PD STT".

It would also be very helpful if Jester could give more feedback.

Example:

"I have bugged the first contact, at 26000 - 56 miles" .... "still got him. 34 miles."

"IFF... he is a bandit."

"Im about to loose him. Bank left."

Obviously this is just suggestions. But a little more BVR help would be really useful. Also maybe a setting that let Jester shoot from the backseat within preset ranges or RnE.

Those sound like good ideas to me. Though I'm also pretty sure it was always the plan for Jester to be fairly independent and reasonably good at his job. After all, he is supposed to replicate the capability of a human RIO, no more, no less.

We've heard you guys for sure and we are discussing it.

An additional note though is that we're also likely going to add a more realistic model for what actually happens to the WCS and the tracks if you disable it. This means that you'll have much fewer situations where you get away with doing this.

When you disable the MLC this means that all targets detected by the AWG-9 in the MLC clutter arc will be treated as tracks filling up the track memory really quickly, even making real tracks dissappear.

Even if these tracks are unlikely to generate track files in TWS it will still fill up the track register as in RWS and thus make it much less likely to track the real targets.

This all depends on the situation ofc, if out at sea with calm waters there will be much less clutter from the sea than over land as an example.

That said, this doesn't mean that we're not going to add a function to tell Jester this even if this is not something a real pilot would chime in on. But it's also likely that you won't want to use it when/if we have a better model for the clutter in.

Thx Naquaii, this sounds great. I am totally on board with even more realistic behavior as long as Jester AI can handle these complex situations, too. For guys like me flying mostly with Jester in PvP this would be crucial.

I am all in for more Jester smartness rather than adding more radar control to the pilot. Let him actually scan the area with RWS, search for DL contacts, react to wingman and AWACS calls, use any modes he feels best and let pilot just tell him his intentions.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria