Landing P-51

Thanks for all the info guys. Once again I see how helpful and good dcs community is. ) I also found this book FAA Airplane Flying Handbook. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1510712836/ref=dp_ob_neva_mobile

Probably at least some chapters would be nice to read. Traffic patterns, landings. What do you guys think?

I don't know about that one, but I was tasked with memorising the number 1 book off the bat when I first started, The Air Pilots Manual, which covers the basics, with patterns and so on, so it seems quite similar.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Air-Pilots-Manual-Flying-Training/dp/1843360640

And yes, seconded; not coming in on some lengthy finals and instead flying the circuit; affords you the opportunity to clear the airfield/get a picture of what's going on, the done thing at uncontrolled airfields, which is especially useful on Blue Flag due to regulars not being on radio, or not using radio.

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

Thanks for the link ouPhrontis, I will get that one. So much good reviews on it, cant go wrong with that. Will be a good read for sure. Do you know if there are any squads that are new simmers friendly , training etc?

No problem, even though it sounds like you're using it only for simming, just in-case; I'd encourage you to get the latest edition, unless of course cost is of a concern and you're only using for flight sims, as practices and procedures change over time etc.

As for online simulation squadrons, I am unable to recommend one, as I personally do not belong to any; currently I don't have time to make that kind of commitment.

Edited by ouPhrontis
improved horrible grammar

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

I think I really need to work out my routines to how to approch landing in general, and get some theory reads also...

Definitely. I had a lot of trouble until i sat down and got serious and flew like i meant it (before, i basically just messed around with zero procedure and zero consistency, and as you can imagine my flying suffered severely, i could hardly hold altitude, couldn't stay coordinated ect) You will learn a lot from the flying manual, I have not read the British one, but i read a lot of the Airplane Flying Handbook from the 1980s and it helped my thought processes quite a bit.

And most of all have fun!

"Long life It is a waste not to notice that it is not noticed that it is milk in the title." Amazon.co.jp review for milk translated from Japanese

"Amidst the blue skies, A link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector..." - ACE COMBAT 4

"Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight"-Psalm 144:1 KJV

i5-4430 at 3.00GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX 1060 FE, Windows 7 x64

near stall steady speed, flaps, rudder.. combine those and stay on course... don't brake on runway or you will die only later.

It sucks to have two wheels in front.. but that's how it was back then.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

near stall steady speed, flaps, rudder.. combine those and stay on course... don't brake on runway or you will die only later.

It sucks to have two wheels in front.. but that's how it was back then.

No. Brake. If you die, then you just suck. Practice. Unless you have one heck of a long runway like on all the maps except Normandy, you will have to put pressure on the brakes to slow before overrunning the runway. And no matter the map or airfield, get off the runway as soon as you can, don't dawdle and dink around; there is or may be traffic behind you.

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No. Brake. If you die, then you just suck. Practice. Unless you have one heck of a long runway like on all the maps except Normandy, you will have to put pressure on the brakes to slow before overrunning the runway. And no matter the map or airfield, get off the runway as soon as you can, don't dawdle and dink around; there is or may be traffic behind you.

You are right :)

Don't have Normandy map, I am not into WW2 (yet!) so I was hugely successful with TP-51 on Caucasus and now PG map.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey kolga, Im like that now. Or I was probably, I start to take it more serious now. Before also a lot messing around, no procedures. But its not getting me anywhere. I will put more effort as of now, and also try to learn the right way. ) Guys, I do try to use brakes if I manage to land in one piece, but it needs practise for sure

Guys, I do try to use brakes if I manage to land in one piece, but it needs practise for sure

The Spitfire is a whole different can of worms

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey kolga, Im like that now. Or I was probably, I start to take it more serious now. Before also a lot messing around, no procedures. But its not getting me anywhere. I will put more effort as of now, and also try to learn the right way. ) Guys, I do try to use brakes if I manage to land in one piece, but it needs practise for sure

:thumbup:

"Long life It is a waste not to notice that it is not noticed that it is milk in the title." Amazon.co.jp review for milk translated from Japanese

"Amidst the blue skies, A link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector..." - ACE COMBAT 4

"Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight"-Psalm 144:1 KJV

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
... you never fly directly over and parallel with the runway...

Sorry for necro, but i was wrong about this by the way... Sorry

• 1 year later...
On 5/26/2018 at 10:12 AM, TWC_SLAG said:

Trimming helps control the approach speed and rate of decent. I use 150 mph and 1000 fpm decent rate. Get them both nailed, and adjust power to make changes to being high or low in the pattern. Don’t try to drag the plane in at too low an altitude. Come in high enough to always see the runway and the spot you are aiming for. Fly about a 20 degree final, cut the power, and flair to land.

I take off with about 3 degrees right rudder and pitch trim nose down 3 and a half white marks from neutral. I want to be the one that decides when the plane should lift off. No sudden ballooning., that way. Also, some right stick and all the way back until the rudder takes affect.

There are several good utube tutorials.

Hi, What do mean by Fly about a 20 degree final? Flaps?