If you like the sound take a look at this...DYNAMIC SOUND for the 2000

Ala12Rv-watermanpc

Hi dudes!!

The M2000 has always occupied a special place in my heart and as I enjoy hearing fighter planes as much as watching them, sure as most of you :thumbup:, I decided to try to make some sound mod (my first ever) and as this is the m2000 subforum here I am posting this :P...I put a lot of love on it and ended up with a sound mod you might like, featuring things like:

-DYNAMIC sound that changes with throttle actuation. This means that the sound is no longer the same "all the time" but the samples will randomly be used as the throttle changes fr om idle-mid-mil power-afterburner as well as other enviromental sounds for a natural life-like sound experience giving the impresion of never hearing the same sound coming from the plane, just like in real life. **(Example: If power is set to mid from mil power, and then mil power is selected again, a different kind of mil power sound set will be loaded and so on)

-More than 50 possible sound combinations that ensures the most dynamic and alive sound sensation.

-REALISTIC, high quality ,ultra long, sound samples especifically mixed for this mod.

-Seamless and smooth sound transitions.

-Correct afterburner SPL level.

-Deep and clean bass extension.

-Lots of different "air distortion" sounds.

-Completely redesigned sound paramenters for a whole different logic behaviour.

-Greatly improved external sounds representation within the cockpit.

link:https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3212855/

Also made a little video (and a second one):

Good thing is, as said above, the sound dynamically changes as you normally fly the plane in a way that you pretty much "never" will notice any repetition...also , I tried to achieve a sound as close to what I have experienced in real life as I could. There are a lot of combinations and a very nice thing is that I haven't heard them all!!!...for instance, after many hours of testing, I have only heard some effect a couple of times which I think is really cool...once there was a combination where a very loud and deep shock wave pushed really hard followed by a sharp air cutting sound that really shaked my whole house and rattled the windows!!:pilotfly:...ONCE!... it was really nice though I want to heard it again, but oh wait!, who knows when will it happen again :D ...isnt the magic there after all right? ;)

hope you guys like it...

Enjoy!!

Edited by watermanpc

Take a look at my MODS here

It sounds great !

Is this mod compatible with online sessions ? I wonder it it breaks the integrity check.

Thank you for your work))

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

Great sound!!

System: MSI Z370 | i7 8700K | 32GB DDR4 | RTX 2080Ti | TM Warthog | Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals | Oculus Rift S

Modules: FC3 | UH-1H | SA342 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | F-5E | A-10C | M-2000C | AV-8B | F/A-18C | F-14 | C-101 | F-86F | MiG-21 | MiG-19P | MiG-15 | F-16C | JF-17 | L-39 | Mi-8MTV2 | KA-50 | Christen Eagle II | Yak-52 | Bf 109 K-4 | NTTR | Normandie | Persian Gulf | The Channel

I could listen to that all day. In fact, in real life, my father is ex-Air Force and I am ex-Navy. I have lived at many military establishments where I was exposed to many different aircraft flying about. It's a sound I could never get tired of hearing. The sound of the physics of tremendous power. You have captured this quite well.

I do have a couple observations, if I may offer them to you.

My equipment limited me to a substantial degree in the lower frequencies. The bass inclusion did not come through well enough in my headphones so I cannot comment on how it presented itself to me. My headphones are just cheap gaming headphones (not studio quality) and their 40mm drivers only reproduce sound from 30Hz - 19KHz (approximately). I do understand where you placed the bass and how well that placement was just from what I could hear. Awesome stuff!

Now for the suggestion. I'm not sure just how much you will be able to accomplish this, but one of the most impressive things I experienced in my R/L sound appreciation was the distance delay in sound reaching me when a pilot suddenly goes from full power to idle or the opposite. Up close, the change is effectively immediate. At a distance, the sound is delayed by a second per 1,000 feet. It really tells you just how far away that noisy thing is, making it all the more impressive.

As I said, I don't know if you can model that. But it sure would be an amazing thing to get.

Finally, I would suggest that you submit your work to ED and apply your concepts to all the fast movers' sound effects. It is that dramatic of an effect, especially to makers of videos.

Thank you for your work!

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

Thanks for you nice comments guys, Im so glad others enjoy what I did... :)

@=Mac=:

I perfectly understand you bro!, thats why I decided to do the mod...I LOVE!!!! the sound of fighter aircrafts and would never get tired/used to it, no matter how many times I hear them, everytime I watch a fighter aircraft, it scares the s**** out of me :D, always like the first time :worthy:...the feeling of raw POWER, as you said, is so overwhelming and extreme that makes you feel so "insignificant" and at the same time so impresed of the beauty of these flying machines :blush:...is like they can "bend" the physics in a way only them can do, and thats what the sounds makes me feel when I have the pleasure to hear them...

Thats why "AIR DISTORTIONS" are SOOOOOOO important!!!, they represent the INTERACTION between the plane and the air mass around (and beyond) it...at least once in the air, so a sound without/not enouh them will never be realistic, because those distortions, and their variations, are what gives you the feeling of "extreme physics", dimension, power, etc. (among other things).

About the "noise-distance" question...mate, thats exactly one of the things I was concerned when doing this mod :)...

For some reason, some sounds seem to completely IGNORE the attenuation distance to listener and simply sound instantly no matter the distance between source and listener...sadly, there is nothing I can do about it :( ...

However, I improved quite a lot this effect when engaging the afterburner (which had the this problem before) and most sounds that are SPECIFIC of the M2000 but, as I said, the sounds having this problem now, are core DCS sounds that are also used in the M2000. With my mod, you will notice that the distance "lag" is presented correctly from idle to AB for the main sounds...this is perceptible in the video I made: note how a couple of times I cut power on purpose just to show how the sound blends smoothly as well as the sound is AFFECTED BY DISTANCE as it takes a few seconds to sound again (even note how, as in real life, when fighter aircrafts do that, then, the listener uses to receive a "blast" of low bass air "wobble" which I used as the start for many samples just to capture this effect :) )

Another "similar" effect I tried to capture (by playing with attack/release as well) is the transition from idle turbine sound to mid/full mil power in the ground...when I have had the pleasure to be close to a fighter aircraft taxing/testing power, something that "stayed with me" was how BRUTAL was a little amount of power compared to the SPL of idle...I remember that when the pilot pushed a bit the throtle, the sound changed very fast and the SPL increases also almost instantly to a crazy level (the high pitched turbine sound almost was gone while a powerful air distortion flooded everything, again starting with a mid/bass wobble blast)...this can be tested with my mod by applying brakes and then gently increase power...you will notice what I mean (as well as how everytime you change from mid/full power to idle and again mid/full power the sound is different while keeping its signature of realism)...this is also possible thanks to the VERY GOOD Doppler implementation of DCS. Here is a real life example of this:

Although the camera mic is saturated and doesnt capture the HDR of the frequency response nor the SPL of the transition, the difference in both parameters when the pilot increases the power is MASSIVE and you can intuit it by hearing how the rest of the sounds suddenly are totally crushed once the power increases giving you an idea of how strong the actual sound was compared to EVERYTHING else...

So in resume, some sounds ignore the distance but most of the important ones in my mod do actually respect the distance lag :thumbup:

About Razbam, well, of course, Im totally disposed to let them use my sounds if they wish so...my only intention with the mods is making things better (at least thats what I try to do :P) so all of us can have the most realistic experience possible so if people consider that the mod is good enough and would like to have it officially I wont oppose to that :thumbup:

Also hope that ED starts to use the full potential of the sound engine which is quite good and able to do much better things for instance "dynamic variations" which I thing completely changes everything.

Cheers!:)

Edited by watermanpc

Wow waterman this is absolutely amazing, I am working on a custom sounder for the M-2000C now that is is newly capable from a few months ago around the AV-8B early release. I may be getting in touch with you if you are open to it to help collaborate with this so on the sounder code as well as the sound file side it's as good as it can be. Awesome work!

"Witness mere F-14s taking off from adjacent flight decks, gracefully canting left and right, afterburners flaming, and there’s something that sweeps you away—or at least it does me. And no amount of knowledge of the potential abuses of carrier task forces can affect the depth of that feeling. It simply speaks to another part of me. It doesn’t want recriminations or politics. It just wants to fly.”

― Carl Sagan

Video only shows 3D, not 1st person? -.- (I assume 1st person sound changed too)

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Sounds awesome, I will try it out!

Great, hope you enjoy it!:)

Wow waterman this is absolutely amazing, I am working on a custom sounder for the M-2000C now that is is newly capable from a few months ago around the AV-8B early release. I may be getting in touch with you if you are open to it to help collaborate with this so on the sounder code as well as the sound file side it's as good as it can be. Awesome work!

Wow!, I cant believe you want me to help you, I feel very honored and would be a pleasure to do it :)...however, I have to say that I have no programming knowledge so I guess I cant help on that, but I can making sounds and their sdef's and such if you wish :thumbup:

Video only shows 3D, not 1st person? -.- (I assume 1st person sound changed too)

Well, I have a very limited internet connection and Im not very good at video recording so the video is focused on the external sounds as thats the main goal of the mod itself but yeah, the external sounds also work inside the cockpit so you will also have improved "external" sounds from the cockpit.

Sounds great to me as well, perhaps a few tweaks and improvements in some areas somewhere in the future and it reaches a whole new level.

Yeah, there is room for improvements, though some are code related Im afraid, like the missing shutdown turbine sound or the AB detail sound also emiting out of the cone, the rest I will try to do my best. Thanks mate!:thumbup:

Thank you for this, the best sound mod i have seen.

here is a video but excuse the flying hahahaha

Very nice man!!, thanks for the video and Im very happy you are enjoying it ;)

Your Mods for the mirage are so great! Thank you!

Gesendet von meinem PLK-L01 mit Tapatalk

Thanks buddy!!!:)

Wow!! Instant 'must have'!

Bloody outstanding work watermanpc.

I do not know how many hours I spent at the end of Edinburgh Airbase here in Adelaide as a young kid watching the Mirage 3's run touch-n-go's and that sound brings back memories - the apparent sound distortion, particularly on hot days is something I wont forget (this was in the time before once of the pilots broke the sound barrier during an air show over the airbase, breaking most of the glass in the surrounding farmers glass-houses (cost the AF a pretty penny), and speed restrictions were then imposed. Shame said restrictions were in place prior to receiving the FA18Bs that followed... wouldve like to have seen them at full noise.

Wow!! Instant 'must have'!

Bloody outstanding work watermanpc.

I do not know how many hours I spent at the end of Edinburgh Airbase here in Adelaide as a young kid watching the Mirage 3's run touch-n-go's and that sound brings back memories - the apparent sound distortion, particularly on hot days is something I wont forget (this was in the time before once of the pilots broke the sound barrier during an air show over the airbase, breaking most of the glass in the surrounding farmers glass-houses (cost the AF a pretty penny), and speed restrictions were then imposed. Shame said restrictions were in place prior to receiving the FA18Bs that followed... wouldve like to have seen them at full noise.

Thank you very much friend!!, I would love to live near an air base though not sure of this once I want to sleep :P but yeah!, we will never get used to the amazing jet sounds :)...

Btw, Im working as much as possible to bring some improvements and fix some issues...its quite a huge task and I should be studiying :P but I will try to have a new version asap.

Bye guys!!

I don't own the M2000 module but I'll be definitely looking into downloading this mod so I can hear it from others flying it online, from what I just watched in that Youtube video it sounds fantastic! (any chance you could do this kinda thing for all the other aircraft in DCS...)

Guys, thaks a lot for your kind comments!!! Im so happy to see you like it!:)

About making sounds for other planes well, doing it for all the rest planes would be a massive work, and a very time consuming task, especially finding good recordings, which is one of the hardest things as, due to the extreme dynamic range of the source, some good quality and specialized recording equipment is needed, as well as, of course, fighter aircrafts to record (I dont own the equipment nor live near any place where fighter aircrafts use to fly, sadly for me btw) so its very hard to find useful good quality content to work with...In fact, if someone knows of any good source where this kind of content can be found it would be of great help :thumbup:...

...so, for now, I dont think I will be able to do it but who knows, maybe in the future :) ...also, many things are being changed right now in the sound department, lets see what they bring to us...

About the external sounds being also used in the internals, I was also surprised when I noticed they worked although I never edited the internal sounds (which already have their own turbine/combustion sounds) but I guess its because there are not specific "combustion full" nor "mid" samples for the cockpit sounds so maybe its coded to use the external ones instead (thats my guess)...that said, I cant tell you why you are not hearing them in cockpit, but Im sure they work for me with all the sliders, except the music one, at max (you should notice a nice soft air distortion and a smooth high pitched roar from inside) ...its very obvious so if you think you are not hearing them I would bet you are actually not hearing them...you could try uninstalling the mod and installing again and see if it works then...

I will try later if I can still hear the sounds from the cockpit in the latest/new version, just in case they are not working since this...

Anyway, I have to say that I think there is something buggy with the sounds (probably in general) as some samples are not working at all, others don't respond to changes in the *.sdef's files or at particular commands and seems impossible to edit general core samples for a particular aircraft as I tried several ways to make custom sounds to override the common ones (for instance using the "mount_vfs_sound_path" in the M2000 entry.lua) but it doesnt work as showed in the log file (outdated) so, while I would love to make some more changes, I just can edit the custom M2000 sounds/sdefs (and not even all of then).

Also, sometimes there is an odd case where you will experience a kind of "muted" full combustion sound (at mil power) that is literally driving me crazy...I have spend a lot of hours trying to understand why is this happening and I have came to the conclusion it's some kind of issue with the randomization system.

I have tested literally every combination, every sample isolately to avoid possible destructive interference between them, removed some particular frequency parts of the samples for the same reason, played with the pitch, again, to avoid possible interferences , tested many cases when flying trying to figure out what triggers the issue with no success, etc. ...the issue is still there as soon as I enable randomization for the samples so I guess there is something wrong with this functionality at the moment...I even made some mixes with core/general DCS samples that are also used in the M2000 to better see if they caused some bad interaction with mines but couldnt find any problem...maybe there is some unknown situation that triggers a core sound sample that causes a bad interaction but I really doubt it as it should then happen with pretty much all the new samples and it should sound, at least, slightly different due to different sounds being reproduced but this is not the case, it sounds ALWAYS identical :doh:...

So if you have experienced an odd "muted" sound at some point (it goes away once you triggers a new sample), Im aware of it though, Im not sure I can do anything to fix it because, as long as I can tell, it might be code related...thankfully, its not very noticeable unless you look for it nor uses to happen very often but its there and Im very sorry for this guys!!!...for now, I have made some changes in order to mask this as much as possible while at the same time improving the sounds and making some other adjustments...hope to get it ready asap.

Sorry for the long post :doh:

Thanks all mates!!

Edited by watermanpc

waterman, I have previously given you kudos on the Mirage canopy work you did in that thread...and I wanted to do the same here. I just watched the video in the OP, and wow, awesome work with this sound mod!

I can safely safe this: As a guy who doesn't fly the Mirage, I am sad to miss out on your work firsthand...but I hope that you share a love for some of the aircraft I will fly in the future (Hornet, Tomcat, Harrier).

Keep up the great work, boss :thumbup:

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

waterman, I have previously given you kudos on the Mirage canopy work you did in that thread...and I wanted to do the same here. I just watched the video in the OP, and wow, awesome work with this sound mod!

I can safely safe this: As a guy who doesn't fly the Mirage, I am sad to miss out on your work firsthand...but I hope that you share a love for some of the aircraft I will fly in the future (Hornet, Tomcat, Harrier).

Keep up the great work, boss :thumbup:

Those are some beautiful words man!, many thanks for them!!:) ...and yeah!, as far as Im able to do it, I will no doubt try to make some "cool" things for other aircrafts!;)

Btw guys!, since the last update and after an hour of testing seems like the issue of the muted sound has been fixed!!, at least it didnt happen in all that time of constant flying and constant throttle changes...maybe the "Increased max number of sound hosts for avoidance runtime errors in complicated sound conditions with many sound emitters." changed anything causing the problem...

Cheers guys!!

Ok guys, just uploaded a new version of the mod (v2)...I made some changes:

-New afterburner sounds (2 new kinds and a variant for each as well as variants for the previous ones), also smoothed a bit some of them.

-Added 1 new sample for full mil power.

-Isolated the "mid power" samples from the "full mil power" ones as most of the time you will be in mil power or afterburner so I decided to put there more variety, also to increase the coherence of the sound.

-Now sound should feel a bit more "powerful" in afterburner when the plane is aproaching.

-Several behaviour changes.

I also made another video...this time is a bit longer and with a beautiful landscape in the background so its more enjoyable while featuring the sound ;) ...again, sorry for the video/audio quality but shadowplay is very odd...now it recorded with a lower audio quality and also very choppy (I think I need some help on how to properly record DCS videos :P )...also tried the "crazy flight" at the end...TOTAL FAIL!!:megalol::megalol:

Bye and enjoy!!!:thumbup: