Where are we right now?

stratman59

I sold my TrackIR. Cannot do 2D anymore. Full stop. However, the devs need listening, as we need frames and AA! There is no doubt VR is the future!
It MIGHT be a future.

From steam 125 million userbase only about 0.2% owns a VR set.

That makes it about a 250 000 units.

DCS is not VR ready (textures, 3D modeling and cockpit operations designed for 2D) and neither is HMD at current state.

When the game is designed VR in mind, it looks great even todays low resolution panels and very narrow FOV and all the problems from god rays to fuzzy edges etc.

But DCS ain't designed for VR. It has OK'ish support but to get better would need many other peripherals like wireless tracked gloves to operate cockpit and kneepad. The menu system needs to be rescaled and redesigned for VR use. Textures should be simplified, enlarge fonts and clarify them. Knobs, switches etc made bigger (for current Vive and Rift).

And we are talking very niche market overall of gaming market. Already without Elite Dangerous and War Thunder we wouldn't have got newer HOTAS or other joysticks as DCS is so niche alone.

And idea that VR is the future is just... Same as every previous generation, before failure. Big hopes and hypes and people reverted to plain old simple gaming. Even radical ones like Nintendo Wii failed after huge hype.

To buy a VR only for DCS is a good reason, as it very well might be the only reason among Elite Dangerous.

But before AAA titles can be played with VR from day one, VR doesn't have a change. There is a reason why 3rd person games got popular, why platformers and RTS games works as is and why FPS games has difficulties to get the VR user not to get motion sickness without using some hacks like 45° turning or teleportation.

There are great titles for VR, that are solving the problems by doing a different approach but the gameplay mechanics are different from the popular ones and you don't have big audience there.

The flight and driving simulations huge benefit is that it is already seated virtuality so physically you can be seated. And that is the question, is that market so big and affordable that majority can buy a VR system for it and that genre will support them by redesigning many of the products that in mind?

The current Rift and Vive should be at least for the 2019-2020 versions, what Rift and Vive are today to Oculus DK1.

Before that DCS needs to be overhauled so it can use 100% from CPU performance capability instead just a fraction of it now. It needs lots of improvement to get performance to be somewhere acceptable for users using setups 5-7 years back instead latest ones (and even then suffering terribly as you don't benefit from a multi-core systems).

Map designers has own challenges as what to do when average user can't run the maps great even in FHD.

And it is limiting mission/war designers as you can't add than few units without suffering drops.

If I would go and re-buy a third system worth of 3500€ (best CPU there is, best MB for it, best GPU and max RAM) DCS still would have problems to run in VR (as current four setups done in last month top of the line).

We can hype how VR is the future but it needs a lot to do before getting anywhere near the promised experience and needs for combat simulations in cold war theater.

INJMHO

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

It MIGHT be a future.

From steam 125 million userbase only about 0.2% owns a VR set.

That makes it about a 250 000 units.

DCS is not VR ready (textures, 3D modeling and cockpit operations designed for 2D) and neither is HMD at current state......

Wow, I respect everyone has an opinion but there is just so much wrong in this post it is scary. I suggest you actually try it if you ever get a chance. It does not seem you actually have to be honest. I mean the fact you seem to think only DCS and ED are VR capable titles, and barely at that according to you, says a lot.

I hope anyone interested in VR and is on the fence still takes your views with a cattle sized salt lick.

Edited by Torso

Maybe see the "The KA-50 in VR is superb!" thread ?

The enthusiasm there (& other threads) makes me want to try it...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=190509

Also - It's true, other attempts at getting VR into the mainstream have come and go, but I know none of them ever gained anywhere near the traction the current generation of devices have...

Cheers.

Fri's views are his and he is entitled to it, however, from a Pilots point of view while there are some limitations with current resolution the point remains, do you want to experience the feel of flying or be top of the A2A table. If you want to know what its like to actually fly a fighter, then DCS VR is as close are you are gonna get without signing on the dotted line.

If you know how to run your radar and coordinate with a wingman then you can actually still be at the top of the A2A ladder, remember the motto dont get into a fight you dont know you are gonna win .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

there maybe other sims that have feature complete WW 2 but gues what, i personally still prefer flying dcs WW 2. DCS has the most amazing flight model ever made for mankind in all space ... :D i dont play it because its feature complete, its because i enjoy it.

god, give me vr please - i promise ill be a good boy~

Edited by rogonaut
none of your concern

There are better Multiplayer platforms than DCS. But nothing can compare to DCS in regards to aircraft fidelity, simulation and feel.

You will find great Multiplayer community in DCS but a lot of times it can be frustrating as DCS is simply not in a good spot when it comes to support of stable and epic encounters. The lack of tools for creating large, stable and dynamic multiplayer environment is what DCS lacks the most. And to be honest with how long it takes to implement new things in DCS, we are still looking at more than few years before some of these aspects will be "resolved".

So depending on what you are looking for, if the technical aspect of simulation, realism of the flight model and realistic cockpit instruments are the things you enjoy, then DCS will be enjoyable for you. If you are more into dynamic multiplayer campaign with a lot of human players, then you may be disappointed.

I cannot comment on the VR aspect of the game as I did not have the chance to experience that yet.

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.