an advice on upgrading path 4 my particular comp

I have a really crappy comp but I will have some cash in the near future to upgrade. I will play FC and Live for Speed. No other sims for el leafer. :D

My system:

Mobo is unknown brand

Intel Celeron 2.0 GHz

512 MB Kingston

GF FX5200

Onboard sound

So, for around 200 to 250USD, what should I upgrade first? Mobo+Faster CPU combo (also, Intel OR AMD) OR Video card?

Thanks!!!! I'm so excited to play FC. It's been a long, long time since I play flight sim. Oh yeah, baby!

Cheers

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

saving for a few more months? noooooooo....I can't.....please don't make me... heh Really. I've been dying inside for this day to come. heh no more waiting, mannn. :D

Ok. Now...

So it's unanimous for the video card. But why the 9800 when I think I can get a GF 6600 for around 170USD? Just wondering. I want to upgrade with the future in mind.

The RAM is pc2100.

cheers

Heuhe, you should upgrade everything. But upgrading the video card without upgrading the CPU is useless since the CPU will block performances of your brand new video card.

Here is my system :

P4 2.4 GHz

1Gb of RAM @ 2100

ATI 9800 pro

As you can see it's just slightly above minimum specification givenn by ED for FC. On medium setting (the one givenn when you hit the boutton medium), I have 25-26 fps on average when flying ground missions and around 40 -50 fps when flying high air combat missions. All missions are not heavy charged with AI units.

There isn't much point goin for a 6600GT or a new generation like that because your cpu will not be able to feed it with enough information to show the benifits of the new gpu. However the 9800pro is older, and is regarded as the best value for money. period. Generally around the $130 Since the gpu is cheap i would also buy another stick of 512 pc2100 ram ($30). This will give you the best possible results with your cpu.

Hope this helps,

cheers

drop the Celeron.... It can't handle the computational needs required for most processor intensive games (lockON especially is included).

AMD or a Pentium will work way better..but then that probably means you will have to change your MB..

There are software tools out there that can pull your MB information and make, so you can see if you can just swap out or be forced to buy again...

I would also suggest you change the vid card as well...

Thanks,

Brett

No, you are right. I forgot about the 6600GT. You WILL be very much limited by your CPU, but when you are able to upgrade the rest of the system you will be in better shape with the 6600GT than the 9800 pro. You will be able to improve some things now, for example resolution.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/2004-27gpu2_25.html

There's some kind of voodoo in those 6600GTs.

Thanks guys. Since money is really an issue, I should upgrade wisely. And that means getting the 6600 so I'm somewhat set for future upgrades as well.

Now. Which CPU and mobo? AMD or Intel? Just curious.

Cheers